• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Heavy copper fouling solutions?

My Toy

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2013
People's Republic of Maryland
I've got a Rem 700 heavy barrel in 308 that I purchased new probably 15 to 18 years ago. I haven't fired it a lot over this time period (probably 300 to 400 middle of the road handloads; mostly topped with 168 gr SMKs). The gun is very accurate but has a pretty rough bore and picks up copper fouling like crazy (particularly on the lands). I've been using Wipe Out to remove the copper and the first patch through the bore ( after the Wipe Out has been in for about an hour) pushes out what looks like blue soup. I think I performed some kind of barrel break-in when I purchased the gun but really can't remember the details. This heavy jacket fouling is after very few rounds (20 to 25).
The question I have is short of re-barreling: is their anything I can do to the bore to reduce this jacket fouling?

You state the gun is very accurate - does accuracy degrade with worsening copper fouling?

Not really; although the most rounds I usually put through it in a sitting is 25 or so. Maybe the copper fouling stabilizes after a point. I should try up to 50 rounds before de-coppering the barrel.
I have 3 other 308s (a Win 70 /w Kreiger HB, a 700 with a Lilja HB and an FN SPR) that collect very little jacket fouling. The barrels of these three rifles clean up basically with a bore brush.

Your two options are using Tubbs system bullets fired through your gun or Dyna Bore Coat. I just put the bore coat in a factory Remmy 243 that is doing the same thing yours is. I don't have enough rounds through it since adding it to tell you if it helped but others love it.

Your two options are using Tubbs system bullets fired through your gun or Dyna Bore Coat. I just put the bore coat in a factory Remmy 243 that is doing the same thing yours is. I don't have enough rounds through it since adding it to tell you if it helped but others love it.

Never heard of this product before; found it on Brownells web site. Looks interesting but to good to be true. I'd be interested to hear how it works for you.

Foaming copper solvent, let it soak 24 hours until the patch doesn't look like a Smurf, then get a set of David Tubbs' Firelapping Bullets and firelap the barrel. Or, if you have the change, have a custom barrel installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tubbs works wonders to recondition a barrel. I've been extremely happy with the results on my factory Savage barrels in 308. Ugly rifle but she shoots great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk