• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Heavy duty spray paint

Jgunner

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 29, 2019
    Arizona
    Whats out there for coating some steel on a vehicle that isn't $35 a can? It will be on a vehicle built for offroad. Satin black is what i am after.

Ive done bed liners, steel-it and "industrial" grade spray paint that was decent, but not great. Looking for something you can touch up but isn't weak like regular spray paint.

Reactions: Wolf47
    I find Allumahyde to be pretty good. Only way I find to take it off is through a mechanical process. It's very resistant to chemicals. Don't buy their satin black though, it's more of a gloss black. Their matte black is more satin.
    Ill look into it. I have a lot to cover.

If you can find "Bulldog" it is the shit, period, nothing will stick better, go on smoother, or last longer.
    It's available in 1 color, satin black.
    They list it as an adhesion promoter, made to prime plastic bumpers before the finish coat. I've painted a metric shit ton of external car panels with it and it has never failed me once and I've gotten loads of compliments on the way it looks from customers.
    It's usually only at pro auto paint shops....so you'll have to do some looking....and it's usually sold in the gallon, but they make it in aerosol too.

The only other decent alternative is Rustoleum Professional and it does come in satin black.
    Most (but not all) home depots carry it.
    Make sure it says Professional on the can....otherwise it's not so good.

If you can find "Bulldog" it is the shit, period, nothing will stick better, go on smoother, or last longer.
    They list it as an adhesion promoter, made to prime plastic bumpers before the finish coat. I've painted a metric shit ton of external car panels with it and it has never failed me once and I've gotten loads of compliments on the way it looks from customers.
    It's usually only at pro auto paint shops....so you'll have to do some looking....and it's usually sold in the gallon, but they make it in aerosol too.

The only other decent alternative is Rustoleum Professional and it does come in satin black.
    Ill look at that as well. I have a cup gun as well, so i can spray that way if needed.

This stuff works pretty well if the prep work is correct. It is NOT uv resistant, so it can’t have direct sunlight on it.

Reactions: Jgunner
    This stuff works pretty well if the prep work is correct. It is NOT uv resistant, so it can’t have direct sunlight on it.

I used their bed liner on a truck. This stuff will see some uv, but not a lot. That might be te ticket or somethinglike por15 maybe.

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
    Engine enamel and bake it. Even better if you can bake the parts and spray them nice and warm.

I have an axle that was covered in rust. Knocked the crud off, painted, and drove it 12 hours so it was 200*+ all day. Not a chip in it after another 200k miles and tons of gravel roads that deleted the original paint.

So now I hit stuff with the heater, spray it on, and leave the heater overnight. It is stupid tough.

Engine enamel and bake it. Even better if you can bake the parts and spray them nice and warm.

I have an axle that was covered in rust. Knocked the crud off, painted, and drove it 12 hours so it was 200*+ all day. Not a chip in it after another 200k miles and tons of gravel roads that deleted the original paint.

So now I hit stuff with the heater, spray it on, and leave the heater overnight. It is stupid tough.

I like the VHT Brand for chassis and engine components if you're going to use a spray can.
    If you're going to use a spray gun to apply, a decent acrylic enamel with catalyst is about 95% of what polyurethane at about half the cost.
    If it's rusty steel, Ospho or one of the other metal prep etching solutions can be used to neutralize the rust before paint.

Rustoleum professional enamel is my go to. I paint trailers and my tractor implements with it. Stuff is impressive.

I like the VHT Brand for chassis and engine components if you're going to use a spray can.
    If you're going to use a spray gun to apply, a decent acrylic enamel with catalyst is about 95% of what polyurethane at about half the cost.
    If it's rusty steel, Ospho or one of the other metal prep etching solutions can be used to neutralize the rust before paint.
    Not rusty, most of it is sanded clean, but some thi gs like the axle have factory paint still on them in places.

Catalyst paint and gunk gun........painted Penrod rig 29 in the early 80s tuff stuff......good luck finding either....... .gov reg u lations and all