• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

HEEEEELP WITH BALLISTIC CALCULATORS !!!!!!!

Blaser270mag

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2011
TX
Hello Gentlemen, I´m new to your community. I joined in order to improve my long range shooting, I noticed there are many skilled people over here and hope to get your advice....

PROBLEM: I can´t find a ballistic program or web page to get reliable and accurate bullet drop data anywhere !!!!!!!!! Every program I tried states different drop for the same load.... I just can´t understand why !!!

RIFLE: Browning A-Bolt Eclipse M1000 26"
CALIBER: 300 WSM
SCOPE: Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56mm WITH: 0.5 cms @ 100 mts click
Target Turrets.
LOAD: Federal 180g soft point
SOFTWARE USED: Federal Premium 2011 Catalog/ iSnipe/ www.biggameinfo.com/ etc....

So, I load the same data on any software and I get different results on each, then I go to the range and the data doesn´t match with the live tests.

Does anyone have an idea about what is going on???

Thanks

Re: HEEEEELP WITH BALLISTIC CALCULATORS !!!!!!!

You are likely doing it wrong. Do you know the velocity that you are getting out of those Federal loads? Do you know the BC of the projectile? Do you know the atmospheric conditions under which you zeroed your rifle?

It is hunting ammo so if you are trying to shoot small groups with it you will continue to be disappointed. If you are just using the information that they put on the box you won't get the same results unless you are shooting a mechanically similar gun in similar conditions.

If you are going to use a ballistic calculator you need the information that I mentioned and much more to get accurate results.

ETA: Federal has a ballistic calculator on their website. It shows a BC of .385 and the test barrel was 24". The test barrel being a different length is going to give you different numbers than what they report. However, it may be closer than what you have been experiencing since it is their load. You will want to input your altitude and weather conditions as well as your scope height and you may get better results.

Also use the shooter program from Android, works very well,easy to use.

Another word of caution of posted BC's. Federal posted the 922a bc to be
.093 which is ridiculus low(or high). By getting my own dope at the range I
Found the bc to be .155
My point is ammo manufacture data gives you a great starting point, kind of like
Bore sighting a scope, close but not zero. With most balistic programs you can
Shoot a small group with your 100 yard zero at a given distance (300-600 for the 300) and measure the distance from x to the POI. Plug these numbers and it will give
the results of your rifle with the specific load. I do this using bullet flight and it has
Worked well with my 22 and the 308.

If you have an IPhone or IPod Touch I recommend BulletFlight. There is a BC program in the utilities section. You can calculate BC using bullet drop too, so as not to risk shooting a hole into your chrono at 100yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subwofer2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have an IPhone or IPod Touch I recommend BulletFlight. There is a BC program in the utilities section. You can calculate BC using bullet drop too, so as not to risk shooting a hole into your chrono at 100yds.</div></div>
+1 on Bullet Flight.

But I'd suggest getting the correct BC from Bryan Litz book, as computing it by yourself can be tricky.

How accurate is the environmental data you are using? Are you getting it off a Kestrel?

Most BC values seem to be inflated by the bullet makers. Brians book as suggested above is the best place to start. Then you might have to adjust your BC to get it to match your actual dope. Most programs these days are great, I would just stick with one and make your BC work for you, otherwise you could spend a lot of time trying to make them all work. Anything based on the JBM model is great. The FFS software has an easy process to calibrate the actual bullet flight/BC with your shot data.

If you have an Apple Iphone, Isnipe is a really good program. Bought Bullet Flight and regret it.

Isnipe is $4.99 to purchase. Or was......