• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Height bore to top of rail AI AT

Recon_Scout

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2020
Hi, need expertise from the collective here, what is the distance (height) bore to top of rail on AI AT (Trying to set up ballistic calculator).

Thank you in advance!

If your setting up a ballistic calculator I'm assuming youhave an ai at on hand so why don't you measure it lol?

I'm pretty sure your looking for scope height above the bore as well and not the rail height and my 20 bucks says it's 2.5-2.75 inches 😁

If your setting up a ballistic calculator I'm assuming youhave an ai at on hand so why don't you measure it lol?

I'm pretty sure your looking for scope height above the bore as well and not the rail height and my 20 bucks says it's 2.5-2.75 inches 😁
I do have the rifle one hand but unless you can tell me how to measure to center of bore you got me lost, I can certainly "wing it", but would prefer a precise measurement. As far as scope/mount height I know exactly what it is (so all I have to do it to add that to the distance from bore center to rail top)

Do you have a measuring tape or calipers and is your scope currently mounted?

You can get close enough with a measuring tape. Seriously, run your calculator twice with a quarter inch difference in scope height. I doubt you’ll see any difference for realistic differences.

You can get close enough with a measuring tape. Seriously, run your calculator twice with a quarter inch difference in scope height. I doubt you’ll see any difference for realistic differences.

100%. You can be off by like .5-.75" and it's still like a .1 diff at 1k

I do have the rifle one hand but unless you can tell me how to measure to center of bore you got me lost, I can certainly "wing it", but would prefer a precise measurement. As far as scope/mount height I know exactly what it is (so all I have to do it to add that to the distance from bore center to rail top)

Take diameter of barrel (at muzzle), divide in half. Add height of base on receiver (from top of barrel at muzzle to top of base), then scope ring base to center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Recon_Scout
This is what i typically do to find height of scope.
Measure scope diameter at muzzle end of scope. (dial calipers, or tape measure)=S
At the same position you measured scope measure barrel diameter (dial caliper)=B
Measure distance between scope and barrel at the same position (feeler guages )=D

Assuming reticle is directly in center of the scope
Scope height = (S/2)+(B/2)+D

Half the bolt body diameter, plus half the diameter of the scope tube, plus the full distance between the closed bolt body and the mounted scope tube, measured halfway front to rear between the rings.

Greg

Personally I'd pay for time on a CMM, then you would know to the .0001 inch.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
It's even easier than all that. The lug sleeve pin on the RH side of the action is in the bore centerline. Pull off the center of it with a tape.

Reactions: Recon_Scout