• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Height over bore: how important is it really?

Hippy_Steve

Clownworld Research Corp LLC
Minuteman
May 4, 2018
Spokane, WA
How much is too much height over bore? I bought a Spuhr SP-5006 mount for my Mark 5 3.8-18. I didn't realize how tall my Nightforce scope rail would sit on top of my model 70 action. After a combination of rookie mistakes, there is a .63" gap between the top of my barrel and bottom of the Mark 5's bell. I'm on the verge of selling my spuhr and trying a SP-5001 because I'm on a borderline chin weld with a .300 win mag. Not good. Should I live with my mistake and figure out how to build a higher cheek weld on my monte carlo stock, or should I try to sell my (hard to sell) 35mm spuhr mount and try again with a lower riding spuhr?

Last edited:
If it's too high for comfort, and you have room to go down, I don't see why you wouldn't try and go lower.

Height over bore impacts rifle fit and the magnitude of cant influence. If you are level and have great rifle fit & sight picture, a tall height over bore is no issue.

I’m reading not so much if the rifle isn’t canted. My brain processes is to be akin to canting a traditional bow shot off the shelf vs canting a bow with sights.

Those are both good reason why I should look to getting a shorter Spuhr. Thanks guys. Now I need to accumulate 100 non shitposts to access the EE. So it begins.

In the meantime build up that comb. That’s got to be cheaper than a new Spuhr mount. Hockey tape is cheap and sleeping pads are darn near free. You only need a little piece.

As long as everything is in line you won’t have any problems as far as accuracy, but if things are out of alignment then they will be magnified at distance.

Reactions: Hippy_Steve
Height over bore means nothing. Get whatever rings allow you to be comfortable behind the rifle. Obviously if you go to high you are sacrificing turret travel. The important thing with bore height is to make sure you include it in any ballistic calculator you use. You don’t need the scope as low as possible. If you aren’t comfortable your fundamentals will suffer.

Reactions: Hippy_Steve