• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Height over bore with LPVO

JoshPutman

Make tar and feathers great again.
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2020
Michigan
I'm running an LPVO on my 16" 5.56 AR, and my height over bore is 2.625". I'm just curious what the average height is that you all are using.

I did a search, but didn't really find what I was looking for.

I use a 1.5 so it will mount up with my clip on but I have a prs stock on it so I can raise my cheek up to it. I liked it so much on my precision ar I did it with the others too. No regrets either. It's just a lot better to have that stock on it or one that you can adjust the comb on

With Larue LT104 2.75-2.8.

Measured from middle of bolt face to middle of scope body.

My height over bore with LPVO optics are 2.91" and 3.14". I also have a mid power optic'd AR at 2.75" and a couple of Red Dot/Holo's at 3.47".

I'll have to measure my mount. I measured from centerline of bore to centerline of scope body with a tape measure and got 2 5/8", or 2.625".

I have to scrunch my head down to get lined up, and doing ready up's it seems I should be faster. I'll have to look for a taller mount for a more relaxed head position. The mount I have now is just a cheap one I got from a buddy. No idea what brand.

I'm running an LPVO on my 16" 5.56 AR, and my height over bore is 2.625". I'm just curious what the average height is that you all are using.

Likely because you’re using a HOB measurement vs optical mount height instead. Most people don’t refer to LPVO height with HOB.

Lowest I will do with LPVO is a 1.7” optical height over the rail. I think 1.7-1.9 is the sweet spot for mount height on a LPVO and 1.9 on a red dot for me.

Reactions: JoshPutman
I measured my mount today. 1.375"

It is short compared to what you all have. No wonder I have to scrunch up lol.

Definitely gotta look for a bit taller mount. I appreciate all the responses.

I measured my mount today. 1.375"

It is short compared to what you all have. No wonder I have to scrunch up lol.

Definitely gotta look for a bit taller mount. I appreciate all the responses.
Another random reference is most AR rail mounted iron sights are ~1.41" from the top of the Picatinny rail to the center of the rear aperture.

For Instagram or actually shooting?

I don't do Instagram. This is for actual shooting and trying to be proficient with my rifle.

Running a badger ordnance condition 1 @ 1.9” so my total height is 3.25”. Might be high for some but feels so much better than running a lower mount.

Reactions: JS8588
Why does it matter. Setup your gun for you and your comfort. They used to be lots of shenanigans about low height over bore.

And yet those iron sights are way up high.

If you are happy, it's all that matters

Reactions: JS8588
^^^^^Very true. I was just curious what other people had theirs at that may have more knowledge and experience with such matters.

I ran the numbers on all of my AR pattern guns and they are between 2.6" ~ 2.8" above bore.

MDT did a test where they built a skyscraper mount to evaluate the effect on precision/accuracy. The simple answer is pick whatever scope height you're most comfortable with. Whether it's high or low won't really matter once you have it zeroed.