• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Heli hog hunt. Red dot or iorns?

biscuit75camaro

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
Texas
Hey guys im going on a helicopter hog hunt this weekend. I have a m16A2 clone and a 223 sar-3 AK. Which would b better from a chopper? Im thinking the ak with a forward mounted red dot. What do yall think? Has anybody used irons out of a chopper b4?

Re: Heli hog hunt. Red dot or iorns?

I would not use irons. Out of any moving vehicle and double or triple for an airborne one you have to be able to aim quickly and compensate for your motion. Add in pigs running and I wouldn't want anything other than an RDS on my rifle doing that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biscuit_75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys im going on a helicopter hog hunt this weekend. </div></div>

Its official....I hate you.

Ok ill jst bump fire the whole time and scream " if threy run the're NVA if they dont the're well trained NVA! All the while looping CCR fortunate son on the comms system. And yea ill order a midwest handguard and a red dot for my AK

Reactions: jb41291

Red dot for sure. From a Helicopter simulation pad it is hard to hit stationary targets with a red dot. I'd do even worse with irons.

Aimpoint gets my vote.

Just did this Labor Day weekend.

Red dots, a shotgun with buckshot is best.

You will likely find, the pilot has a gun he prefers you to use. Your AK or AR WILL need a deflector or brass catcher, or you won't be allowed to use it. Blades are expensive and pilots are very protective of them. I built a quick and dirty one for a 6.8 AR with a piece of sheetmetal and 100 mph tape.

Used a 1x4 Trijicon scope on that AR, worked OK. Aimpoint would be good also. Most of the time, the chopper doesn't move too fast, you are just leading the pig. If the pig is about the same speed as the chopper, not much lead needed. Reload when possible, or you find a dry gun, just when you have a bunch of pigs in the open.

Pigman and Uncle Ted used EOTechs best I saw on their hunt. Wether they were sponsored by them or not I don't know, but they were successful.

I have shot iron's and scoped rifles out of a chopper

If you are good with irons there is no reason why you shouldn't use them.

In fact one of my old favourite rifles the I used for culling was an open sight gun.

Well if an M240H isn't available I would say it depends on your pilot and the position you will be firing from from a lot of these little robinsons shooting unsupported an ar-15 with red dot is a great option if your not doing much dynamic maneuvering a good rifle with a low power range on the optic can be a great option.

Reactions: jb41291

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biscuit_75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys im going on a helicopter hog hunt this weekend. I have a m16A2 clone and a 223 sar-3 AK. Which would b better from a chopper? Im thinking the ak with a forward mounted red dot. What do yall think? Has anybody used irons out of a chopper b4? </div></div>

Red Dot all the way. You can do it with irons, but if it's your first time shooting from a bird you won't be concentrating on marksmanship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will likely find, the pilot has a gun he prefers you to use. Your AK or AR WILL need a deflector or brass catcher, or you won't be allowed to use it. Blades are expensive and pilots are very protective of them. I built a quick and dirty one for a 6.8 AR with a piece of sheetmetal and 100 mph tape.</div></div>

The pilot has the final say, but I have shot everything from 5.56 and 7.62mm to .50BMG without brass catchers, shell deflectors or anything else. I have never seen a case sucked UP into the rotor. Downwash is pretty strong and most of the birds I have shot from have the engine intakes located away from the door. It's not necessary, but making the pilot happy is.

If you decide you need to use some type of catcher/deflector, make sure you test run it well before the trip. Your weapon needs to run 100% before you hit the LZ.

running the gambit of RDS's -

$150 - $200 for the Burris FF3, Vortex Strikefire or Sparc?
$250 for a Doctor optic from CDNN
$350+ starts running into the Aimpoint Pro, Meprolight M21, etc.

- the Eotech 65MOA may aid your mind/eyes with lead guidance

IMO - the Eotechs and the mini red dots (FF3, Insight MRDS, Doctor, Razor HD...) are the fastest ......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">running the gambit of RDS's -

$150 - $200 for the Burris FF3, Vortex Strikefire or Sparc?
$250 for a Doctor optic from CDNN
$350+ starts running into the Aimpoint Pro, Meprolight M21, etc.

- the Eotech 65MOA may aid your mind/eyes with lead guidance

IMO - the Eotechs and the mini red dots (FF3, Insight MRDS, Doctor, Razor HD...) are the fastest ...... </div></div>

All that and no mention of the most reliable red dot. Aimpoint.

And speed is dependent on training. After that it's just personal preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMO - the Eotechs and the mini red dots (FF3, Insight MRDS, Doctor, Razor HD...) are the fastest ...... </div></div>

I really don't find one RDS to be faster than another as long as the brightness is set correctly. (talking about just dots or the original EOTech reticle, not all the ballistic crap)

If you are looking for a good/cheap RDS, take a look at the Bushnell TRS-25. I have recently had a chance to burn a good deal of ammo under one, and just got one for a personal review.

Not what your mother said last night Trebek - (WTH happened to good ol' SNL)

and if you would'a read the $350 line, you'd see the Aimpoint Pro.

Top to bottom, left to right, group words to form sentences..... if that don't work take up braille.

To the OP - find a few examples and buy which one works for you.

LW - gonna have the TRS-25 on a mail call monday post???

I have been corrected. And am in the process of taking up braille.

Don't waste your money dude. go with an aimpoint or eotech. Or just be
buying one later.

i'd think red dot would be the quickest & easiest method. Now if you have fully auto, you could walk your bullets with tracer rounds
laugh.gif

All in fun Sir Trebek - anyone seen Turd Ferguson

and he is correct, make sure you buy once

soooo how did the hunt go?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will likely find, the pilot has a gun he prefers you to use. Your AK or AR WILL need a deflector or brass catcher, or you won't be allowed to use it. Blades are expensive and pilots are very protective of them. I built a quick and dirty one for a 6.8 AR with a piece of sheetmetal and 100 mph tape.</div></div>

The pilot has the final say, but I have shot everything from 5.56 and 7.62mm to .50BMG without brass catchers, shell deflectors or anything else. I have never seen a case sucked UP into the rotor. Downwash is pretty strong and most of the birds I have shot from have the engine intakes located away from the door. It's not necessary, but making the pilot happy is.

If you decide you need to use some type of catcher/deflector, make sure you test run it well before the trip. Your weapon needs to run 100% before you hit the LZ.</div></div>

I was talking to a pilot running a hog hunting service here in Florida, and he claimed that the brass catchers weren't to protect the main rotor blades, but rather to keep brass from hitting the tail rotors. It doesn't seem like it would be very easy to manage getting a piece of brass that far back, but then again different platforms eject in different directions and distances (can we say "HK91"?), and sooner or later with enough rounds fired one sees just about everything happen. As someone who's never shot from a helicopter, I'd expect that the bigger problem on a small 2-seat bird would be brass ejecting back into the cockpit and hitting the pilot or the controls. Seems like it would be a bit distracting...