• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hellfire brake not threading on freely

CZp-01

i dindu nuffin
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2018
S.E. Mass
Just picked my Impact action and barrel. Area 419 brake won't thread on freely. I get about a 1/2 turn then resistance. It's not cross threaded.

I've never worked with a brand new barrel like this. Does it need to be wrenched on? Do to the fresh cut threads?

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!
IMG_20200510_155205.jpg

Do you have another barrel you could try, mine threads on all the way with no issues. See if you can look at the threads on the brake adapter.

Only thing I could think of would be to run a thread gauge over it to check the threads and then if it doesn’t go try to get ahold of who did the barrel work.

you just need to wrench it on. ;)

Not really, don’t force it. Something is off, check with the guy who threaded the barrel.
I have a email out to them. Just figured I might get a solution here

I’ve found the area 419 adapters to be very consistent. Looks like the pitch diameter is just too large. Whatever you do, don’t force it on.

Have anything else threaded 5/8-24 that you could test on the barrel? You could use the Bergara muzzle thread to test the new thread.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I’ve found the area 419 adapters to be very consistent. Looks like the pitch diameter is just too large. Whatever you do, don’t force it on.

Have anything else threaded 5/8-24 that you could test on the barrel? You could use the Bergara muzzle thread to test the new thread.
I sold the rifle. Unfortunately, nothing 5/8-24

Yeah a machine shop should have one we did when I worked at our shop. The thread pitch gauge would let you know if it has a 24 tpi a thread gauge will spin on if it’s the correct size and pitch.

I would ASSuME while 5/8X24 what you have on that rifle is not a class 3 thread which would make it not thread on correctly. Do not force it on there.

I would ASSuME while 5/8X24 what you have on that rifle is not a class 3 thread which would make it not thread on correctly. Do not force it on there.
Company advertises the prefit with
Muzzle Threaded 5/8-24 3A.

That's same as you're talking about?

I’m having the exact same thing happen.
I tried it on two AI Win Tac Barrels so I don’t think it’s the threading on the barrels as the thread protectors thread on correctly. The first adapter I tried actually worked, but I had to send it back because the dealer accidentally sent me the 2 Port and I wanted the 3 Port.

When I got the 3 Port the adaptor only went on 1/2 turn like yours. I figured it was maybe the wrong size? Their CS was great and sent me a new one, however this one only threaded on about 5 complete revolutions and then got stuck.

Haven’t gotten the next replacement yet, but it should be in the mail to me.

Their CS has been great and very responsive, but it is weird.

I’m having the exact same thing happen.
I tried it on two AI Win Tac Barrels so I don’t think it’s the threading on the barrels as the thread protectors thread on correctly. The first adapter I tried actually worked, but I had to send it back because the dealer accidentally sent me the 2 Port and I wanted the 3 Port.

When I got the 3 Port the adaptor only went on 1/2 turn like yours. I figured it was maybe the wrong size? Their CS was great and sent me a new one, however this one only threaded on about 5 complete revolutions and then got stuck.

Haven’t gotten the next replacement yet, but it should be in the mail to me.

Their CS has been great and very responsive, but it is weird.
Bad hit for both of us. Not sure they will send me another, seeing it's used.and previously worked. I will reach out to them tomorrow after I get some results from my buddy at the machine shop and a reply from the barrel MFG.

Thanks for the reply

I would be shocked if it’s the adapter unless the threads were damaged when you removed or installed on that other rifle.
Yeah I would think something is up with the barrel, I have several hellfire brakes and have swapped them between a couple different rifles from being sold or getting new barrels and haven’t had any issues with them.

Yeah I would think something is up with the barrel, I have several hellfire brakes and have swapped them between a couple different rifles from being sold or getting new barrels and haven’t had any issues with them.
This is the adapter not the brake.

Yeah I know I just said brake, I doubt there’s any issue with the area 419 side of it, more likely the barrel threads. I have several of the same hellfire brakes that use the adapter.

Yeah I know I just said brake, I doubt there’s any issue with the area 419 side of it, more likely the barrel threads. I have several of the same hellfire brakes that use the adapter.
Me too. Top quality all the way.

I have the same problem with an Area 419 adapter and brake I just bought. The adapter will only go on a few threads on my TacOps rifle, which is class 3A threads.

IMG_20200505_121128.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure this is common knowledge but 1) Check the major of the threads with a caliper. I've run across some at work that had a burr that changed the O.D. just so slightly. The minor and the form were perfect and a quick spin on a lathe and all was good. 2) Put a thread gage to it. I've also seen threads that were flawless but the machnist missed on the half nut engagement by one line and everything goes to hell. The threads on that barrel look REALLY sharp. Might be a tight fit or they might be split. Do you have a thread protector you can check the threads to? All my Area 419 stuff has been perfect so far!

I'm sure this is common knowledge but 1) Check the major of the threads with a caliper. I've run across some at work that had a burr that changed the O.D. just so slightly. The minor and the form were perfect and a quick spin on a lathe and all was good. 2) Put a thread gage to it. I've also seen threads that were flawless but the machnist missed on the half nut engagement by one line and everything goes to hell. The threads on that barrel look REALLY sharp. Might be a tight fit or they might be split. Do you have a thread protector you can check the threads to?
No thread protector. I'll be at my buddies shop before work tomorrow morning to have him check it.

I have the same problem with an Area 419 adapter and brake I just bought. The adapter will only go on a few threads on my TacOps rifle, which is class 3A threads.

View attachment 7322778
I'm not a gunsmith but have been a machinist for 25 years and those threads don't look right either. Maybe it's the angle of the photo but the backside of the thread form looks flat instead of a 30 degree angle (off center-line. Total form should be 60 degrees unless its a weird thread form). It almost looks like it was threaded with an I.D. Buttress thread tool..

Reactions: CZp-01
So here is the standard forms you'll see. Mind you, square are rare as hens teeth in my industry (hydraulics) but they do show up. On to the pic...
threads.jpg

I would "assume" almost all modern guns use the Sharp V aka UNC, UNF, or UNEF. A 5/8-24 is a UNEF.

I'm not a gunsmith but have been a machinist for 25 years and those threads don't look right either. Maybe it's the angle of the photo but the backside of the thread form looks flat instead of a 30 degree angle (off center-line. Total form should be 60 degrees unless its a weird thread form). It almost looks like it was threaded with an I.D. Buttress thread tool..

It's the angle, it's not buttress.

IMG_20200510_172033.jpg

IMG_20200510_171838.jpg

Could just be the picture, but that doesn't appear to be a 60° included angle thread. My bet would be that the compound was not set to 30° when the threads were cut.

Could just be the picture, but that doesn't appear to be a 60° included angle thread. My bet would be that the compound was not set to 30° when the threads were cut.

If you are talking about my threads, I'm not sure what the angle is.

It's supposed to be a 9/16x24 thread.

I hear you, sir. Something still looks off. The bottom of the form has a flat like it's shallow or split. Mind you my eyes maybe playing tricks an / or I am full of shit! I would want to put thread wires on that one and check the minor.

Exactly! I was beyond happy when our shop switched to carbide thread inserts and I could just square the tool post to the work piece! I always hated fucking with the compound! 29.5 degrees and fishmouth gages... BAH! :LOL: I learned to thread on the Brown & Sharpe Nautilus looking thread tools...

P.S. I think the OPs barrel has the same issue...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ksracer and CZp-01
@Supersubes @nikonNUT thanks guys, I'm going to investigate this further.

I could be totally mistaken on the thread. Owned this rifle for years, never tried to put any muzzle devices on it until recently, so I'll have to figure out what the actual thread is.

If you are talking about my threads, I'm not sure what the angle is.

It's supposed to be a 9/16x24 thread.

Sorry, I should have quoted your post with the pictures in it. But yes, it looks like that thread profile is not correct. If you put a thread pitch gage against those threads I think it would be pretty easy to see.

*Update*
Stopped by my buddies shop this morning. Unfortunately, he didn't have his thread pitch gauges. Loaned them out still not back. He took some basic measurements: barrel threads, inside diameter of the adapter and said it was all good.

Something is just a lil off causing it not to thread on. 😭

Shoot an email to [email protected] or call 419-830-8353, we'll get you squared away. We gage 100% of adapters as they get boxed up, but we are human so some may get missed. Also possible that some of these were at the end of a gages life and unfortunately got paired with a barrel threaded in spec but on the high side creating a worse case scenario. Either way, we will get you an adapter that fits.

Shoot an email to [email protected] or call 419-830-8353, we'll get you squared away. We gage 100% of adapters as they get boxed up, but we are human so some may get missed. Also possible that some of these were at the end of a gages life and unfortunately got paired with a barrel threaded in spec but on the high side creating a worse case scenario. Either way, we will get you an adapter that fits.
Appreciate that! Email sent.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I’m not the OP, but I had a similar issue as I mentioned above. Just got a replacement in today and it threads on great now. Top notch customer service, and almost always same-day response to emails. Sent me replacements out ASAP and covered the shipping and the prepaid label to return the products that had issues. Thanks, Jon!