• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hellfire match threading

Ldecker81

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2021
Columbus ohio
I just received my new Area 419 hellfire match brake for installing on a factory R700 .308. My concern is with the couple threads of the adapter being left exposed after installation. Is this common? I know this issue was brought up in a different post from a couple months ago but there was no resolution mentioned. If any of you guys are operating a HM please let me know your experience.

EDIT: I removed a comment about the installation process because it came across as a product QC issue, when in fact it was my boneheaded fault, not an issue with the brake.

Last edited:
They will clog with carbon, but it poses no functional issue for use on your rifle. Just make sure to clean it out before moving to another rifle.

A lot of MFG’s do this to keep a brake from bottoming out on some threads, my APA and Impact brakes do this on every barrel I’ve mounted them on. No issues as long as you clean them regularly.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoltRunner
How would the adaptor threads exposed outside behind the break get carbon on them?

OP, its fine.
Edit: you were right

I think he’s talking about the few exposed threads just forward of the muzzle inside the universal adapter.

Last edited:
I assume how you can jam it on the taper then tighten the collar without it moving
I kinda figured, but then he characterized it as not working as “smooth” as he likes, which is weird. Index it, hit it, screw the collar down lefty tightly. Its brilliant. Maybe he doesn’t understand how machine tapers work? No disrespect OP. If by not smooth means it doesn't come off easily, thats exactly how these tapers are supposed to work. Use the collar righty loosey to get the brake to release from the taper.

Reactions: Steel head
With the brake fully installed, the point where the barrel meets the adapter has about two threads left exposed. Shouldn’t have to worry about carbon there but I am curious if they can be damaged by getting hit on shooting rest/baracades and everyday things that can come in contact with the barrel.

I kinda figured, but then he characterized it as not working as “smooth” as he likes, which is weird. Index it, hit it, screw the collar down lefty tightly. Its brilliant. Maybe he doesn’t understand how machine tapers work? No disrespect OP. If by not smooth means it doesn't come off easily, thats exactly how these tapers are supposed to work. Use the collar righty loosey to get the brake to release from the taper.
I’m installing the brake properly, I wasn’t leaving it loose enough to notice any inward push the first few times installing. I realize now if I leave the brake much looser I can then push it in and rotate the collar tight. So that was just me posting before I had the hang of it down. It does still leave a couple threads exposed on the adapter

I’m installing the brake properly, I wasn’t leaving it loose enough to notice any inward push the first few times installing. I realize now if I leave the brake much looser I can then push it in and rotate the collar tight. So that was just me posting before I had the hang of it down. It does still leave a couple threads exposed on the adapter
I actually seat it with a a hand slap or small dead blow with just a Lil tap.

With the brake fully installed, the point where the barrel meets the adapter has about two threads left exposed. Shouldn’t have to worry about carbon there but I am curious if they can be damaged by getting hit on shooting rest/baracades and everyday things that can come in contact with the barrel.
Ive never had an issue with boogering the back of the the outer threads on the universal adapter.

Reactions: Ldecker81
Ive never had an issue with boogering the back of the the outer threads on the universal adapter.
That was my concern. And it was probably an unfounded concern, considering I don’t beat up my rifles. I was just wondering if all of their brakes leave these threads. My other brakes install with shim/washers and there isn’t a thread exposed anywhere on the rifle until now

Installed one yesterday, went on smooth as butter. I noticed it didn't cover up all the threads but that was a good thing for those running truck axles for barrels so that it tightens before bottoming out on barrel.

I dont use the brakes any more since I shoot suppressed 100%. The suppressor side adapter covers the threads. That reminds me though, i once dropped a spare barrel onto gravel from about waist high. It had a nitrided universal adapter on the muzzle. Those fine threads took a bite out of the rock, which clogged up the threads. Under magnification I cleared the threads with an xacto knife. Absolutely zero damage resulted.

Installed one yesterday, went on smooth as butter. I noticed it didn't cover up all the threads but that was a good thing for those running truck axles for barrels so that it tightens before bottoming out on barrel.
You are absolutely right! I can’t believe I didn’t think of that. Duh
In fact, the finish and build quality is so robust that It probably will never be an issue.

Last edited:
We intentionally leave the collar short of the rear of the adapter so there is no conflict when someone puts one on a thicc boi of a barrel. Also, the internal adapter threads are a little long to cover tolerance in muzzle threads by barrel manufacturers. Common thread length is .600"-.625" for muzzles, so we spec .640" internally (with a +/-, so please don't start having your smith cut to .640")

Those adapters are all made of 17-4 PH then nitrided. They're quite hard and durable. Many, many thousands of them in market, don't know that we've ever had one come home with boogered threads right there.

The build quality stands out, And as someone not used to running ultra heavy barrels it never crossed my mind how important the engendering on the back side of the adapter is. You guys made a fine product, I’m sure it will work very well

The build quality stands out, And as someone not used to running ultra heavy barrels it never crossed my mind how important the engendering on the back side of the adapter is. You guys made a fine product, I’m sure it will work very well
6D1DA340-5368-4319-9910-183654B3D23D.png

It’s a beautiful piece of equipment, my inexperience was showing when I created this post.