• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hellllllllp!!! 5r nightmare!

Damon70

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
can someone please tell me if the Remington 700 tactical 24 inch 5r fluted barrel in cerakote black .308 is a stainless barrel and action like the original 5r mil-spec rifle they sell uncoated unfluted. the model number is 85540 and i can not find any info anywhere. someone posted that they called Remington and the response was it is the same barrel as the 5r mil-spec model only coated and fluted. i would like to know if anyone can verify this as true. i am about to purchase one and i have been told by a dealer it is not a stainless barrel. the descriptions i have read have mentioned only a "stainless barreled action" whatever that means.

I was looking just this past week and read they are stainless. If the description says stainless barreled action, that means the barrel and action are mated and both are stainless. There is one on GB right now and the description there says stainless as well. You should be GTG!!! Good luck and nice stick to buy....

I have one of the rifles you are talking about , and it has a stainless barrel and action that is cerakoted black.

I'd say that 90% of gun dealers out there don't know shit about what they are selling. Normally they just tell you what you want to hear to make a sale.

back to basics! if the rifle is available to put in your hands, bring along a small magnet. Stainless is non-magnetic , if the magnet sticks, it's not stainless.

back to basics! if the rifle is available to put in your hands, bring along a small magnet. Stainless is non-magnetic , if the magnet sticks, it's not stainless.

That's not completely true. Only some stainless is non magnetic. 416-R SS which most stainless barrels are made of is magnetic. Only certain alloys are not stainless.

That gun is NOT stainless! The tac. Creakote model is made a company called sports south and that who distbutes them kinda like how the reg. 5r is made for a company called accu sports. I was goin to buy that tac model but I called sports south and talked to them and they said its not stainless. I went with the reg. 5r. Go to buds guns online you can get it for less then 1100 and have it painted if you so choose and still be in the gun for about the same price. Im picking up my 300 wm 5r today from my ffl dealer! Hope this helps!

I was told it was stainless when I bought mine. Also called Remington, and was told it was the exact same barrel as the Regular 5R, that had just been cerakoted. Its a shooter. AAA.jpgAAA1.jpg

can someone please tell me if the Remington 700 tactical 24 inch 5r fluted barrel in cerakote black .308 is a stainless barrel and action like the original 5r mil-spec rifle they sell uncoated unfluted. the model number is 85540 and i can not find any info anywhere. someone posted that they called Remington and the response was it is the same barrel as the 5r mil-spec model only coated and fluted. i would like to know if anyone can verify this as true. i am about to purchase one and i have been told by a dealer it is not a stainless barrel. the descriptions i have read have mentioned only a "stainless barreled action" whatever that means.

I went through this with the .223 version. Barrel is CM. I ended up returning mine due to non uniform rifleing and marginal accucary.

Your question is easily answered by nothing more than a magnet. If the barrel and action are ferromagnetic (a magnet sticks to it) it is not stainless.

Your question is easily answered by nothing more than a magnet. If the barrel and action are ferromagnetic (a magnet sticks to it) it is not stainless.

Not always true some stainless is magnetic. Depends on what kind of steel its mixed with and how high the percentages are of the other metals are in it.

Not always true some stainless is magnetic. Depends on what kind of steel its mixed with and how high the percentages are of the other metals are in it.

I believe 300 series stainless is the only steel than is nonmagnetic. 316, 304, 303, etc. Has to do with being an austenitic grain structure, which is only found (in stainless) in 300 series. Austenitic non-stainless is magnetic (most heat treated steels). All other series of stainless that I'm aware of are magnetic, the most common of which are 400 series. 416, 410, etc.

I believe 300 series stainless is the only steel than is nonmagnetic. 316, 304, 303, etc. Has to do with being an austenitic grain structure, which is only found (in stainless) in 300 series. Austenitic non-stainless is magnetic (most heat treated steels). All other series of stainless that I'm aware of are magnetic, the most common of which are 400 series. 416, 410, etc.

Correct, 400 series stainless steels are magnetic, 300 series are not.

Joe

Not true in the least bit- sports south and acusport are merely distributors. They are the middle man between manufacturers and lots of gun stores. They have blown smoke your way for sure, they don't make rifles. If Remington says it's stainless then it's stainless (I doubt the barrel is any different than the regular 5r)
That gun is NOT stainless! The tac. Creakote model is made a company called sports south and that who distbutes them kinda like how the reg. 5r is made for a company called accu sports. I was goin to buy that tac model but I called sports south and talked to them and they said its not stainless. I went with the reg. 5r. Go to buds guns online you can get it for less then 1100 and have it painted if you so choose and still be in the gun for about the same price. Im picking up my 300 wm 5r today from my ffl dealer! Hope this helps!

Reread i said that they are a distributer, i under stand remington is the manufacture and the creakote model does not say stainless on the barrel the normal 5r does not either but on the box it says stainless. The creakote boxes do not say stainless on them from what I can see online. No one blew smoke my way at all. I spoke with both remington and sports south about the creakote model and they both said it was not a stainless barrel or action.
Not true in the least bit- sports south and acusport are merely distributors. They are the middle man between manufacturers and lots of gun stores. They have blown smoke your way for sure, they don't make rifles. If Remington says it's stainless then it's stainless (I doubt the barrel is any different than the regular 5r)

Last edited:
I think he meant that the decision whether or not to buy it is driving him crazy. ????? Yeah ... Nightmare sounds like his barrel blew up in his face or something. To the OP... Just buy the damn thing

My same thought. Sit back, and find the gun you want. No drama needed. But I know the "fervor" about seeing a gun you want. EASY, BIG FELLA! Relax! Those guns come "up", all the time, here. I bought 4, on the Hide "Sales board". 3-308's, and a 223. Great guns!
How is this a 5r nightmare? Don't mean to bust your chops, man, but do you write headlines for the Enquirer?

Last edited:
I had a 5R, and it was a good shooting rifle. But they're at the top end of the Rem 700 family. If you're going to spend that much (and I'm speaking from experience here), go to Brownells and buy a Rem 700 SA Receiver for $449, it comes with the X-mark trigger, pick up a barrel for $300 at grizzly.com, and send it off to Chad Dixon. In then, in the meantime find a stock either on snipershide or stocky stocks, and depending on how much the other small parts cost (recoil lug, mounting rail, bottom metal, magazine, etc) you'll have a custom rifle for a few hundred bucks more than the Rem 700 5R.