• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello, Bitches

How ya fixed on HF? Done anything with digital, SS/TV or FS/TV yet?
Is the Nailer still here?

Nailer actually is still here, just not posting as much. But @Sean the Nailer brings him out of his igloo.

I am actually planning on paying him a visit in March... if the sled dogs will make it!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I see that someone shined the Bat-light over Manitoba while I was... shining the bat light over Manitoba! So... sorry Sean!

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Yes, my Friend, I'm still here.
Been somewhat stagnant on the radio front, what with so much other 'adulting' and responsibilities and such here. Fair number of us have been waiting to see you 'come in from the cold'....

Good to have you back!
Good to know your still here, yes back in from the cold somewhat. Age has much to do with that. However Toby Kieth sang a song that might still apply, but now I like hot coffee, a warm blanket, good book, & other old people things at times, vs adrenaline rushes. No matter how they came.:p

Call it, say, something like 30TC.
T(Thirty)C(Creedmoor)
uh, maybe it already IS a novelty.
Wonder of DARPA has thought about that? Could be a game changer for sure. Next time I talk to the huskaviter I'll have to get his opinion. :)
A few months ago I thought your old employer was giving me the run-around on some parts. Looks like they are just having people issues, like a lot of others now. They finally sent it all less a 4x40x3/16, course the day after I cut one on the lathe, they sent one. One screw that was worth less than 1/10 of the postage. Guess the new move might be better after all. Hey, you have any samples left over, for an old friend?

sirhrmechanic

How ya been, building anything new as of late. I did a steam engine & open tube boiler while gone but a buddy wanted it so bad, I gave it to him. The link below is a video he took of it being powered via 70psi of air in the shop. All the parts are from junk/raw material I had except the cylinder which was a piston liner out of an 855 Cummins I got from a bud. Had to make the piston & like all steamers she is powered both ways. Max load I had on her using the complete system, (boiler ect) was 300 amps of 14.2Vdc. the makeup water was automatic w/a steam discharge recapture rate of 80%+.

How ya fixed on HF? Done anything with digital, SS/TV or FS/TV yet?
Is the Nailer still here?

My last antenna got hit by lightning (not the HF one) it was pretty crazy, I'll have to find the pictures to post. It took a direct hit and I was in the kitchen about 5 yards away. Life came up and things got busy and the one friend I was doing radio stuff with had their life almost destroyed by the reactions their wife had to the Deathvaxx. So I kind of put it all on the back burner and haven't gotten the first antenna replaced or the new antenna put in, it's something I'm going to try to do shortly and then put up the proper HF antenna somewhere it's not going to hopefully get hit as well.

I'm hoping to get back into it again this year.

I haven't setup for digital yet, but I should probably do so soon.
Originally digital wasn't as big a part of my plans because I kind of wanted mostly just stuff that could be used without computers, but you posted a lot of stuff about why it's going to be important to have digital stuff setup, so I'll work on that in a bit.

Sean from Canada is around plenty these days, he just has had life come at him pretty crazy busy so he doesn't post as much as he used to on SH
(he's on another chat program more).

Talked to jhuskey yesterday & that left me wondering what was happening in this shit hole. Give me the dirt about things these last few years.

See my old friend Mike Miller is back around as well.
We’re doing triple loads and not using safeties on guns still

My last antenna got hit by lightning (not the HF one) it was pretty crazy, I'll have to find the pictures to post. It took a direct hit and I was in the kitchen about 5 yards away. Life came up and things got busy and the one friend I was doing radio stuff with had their life almost destroyed by the reactions their wife had to the Deathvaxx. So I kind of put it all on the back burner and haven't gotten the first antenna replaced or the new antenna put in, it's something I'm going to try to do shortly and then put up the proper HF antenna somewhere it's not going to hopefully get hit as well.

I'm hoping to get back into it again this year.

I haven't setup for digital yet, but I should probably do so soon.
Originally digital wasn't as big a part of my plans because I kind of wanted mostly just stuff that could be used without computers, but you posted a lot of stuff about why it's going to be important to have digital stuff setup, so I'll work on that in a bit.

Sean from Canada is around plenty these days, he just has had life come at him pretty crazy busy so he doesn't post as much as he used to on SH
(he's on another chat program more).
Hope you & he get it all worked out, that's not fun at all..
If you can get caught up and have the time I'd suggest at least listening to the Armed Forces Day Cross Band Test in May, assuming the powers to be don't left the smoke out of this rock prior to. The AFDCBT is a good training event even if just listening. The details can be found on the Army MARS web site about the end of April or so. As normal I'll be there with both feet trying to tag them all.

I think I remember you from the Gecko45 days. I do think you missed the Thies melt down though. Welcome back buddy.

We’re doing triple loads and not using safeties on guns still
Stopped doing triplex loads long ago, as I've found the limitations of brass no matter who made it. Also found the limits of 308 brass bases/flash holes using H-380 & 4350 on a 308. Never popped a primer but new heavy brass would never hold a primer again do to max pressure/time limitations. But can still get a 190smk in a 308 to a grand w/less up that a 175smk using varget.
I've almost stopped shooting anything high speed these days. Have shot many a sub match though. Still do not use any safety, muzzle control is what I started with & will end with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dewey7271

sirhrmechanic

How ya been, building anything new as of late. I did a steam engine & open tube boiler while gone but a buddy wanted it so bad, I gave it to him. The link below is a video he took of it being powered via 70psi of air in the shop. All the parts are from junk/raw material I had except the cylinder which was a piston liner out of an 855 Cummins I got from a bud. Had to make the piston & like all steamers she is powered both ways. Max load I had on her using the complete system, (boiler ect) was 300 amps of 14.2Vdc. the makeup water was automatic w/a steam discharge recapture rate of 80%+.

That steam engine is incredible!!! Absolutely master work right there!!!

Let's see... guillotine was a fun short distraction.

This was my Christmas Week project…. Stuffing an AMC 401 (built!) into a CJ7. Was Weldong up the Cherry Bombs today and thinking I’ll stick spark plug in one exhaust to shoot flames.

IMG_8200.jpeg

How Dare I!!

Sirhr

I think I remember you from the Gecko45 days. I do think you missed the Thies melt down though. Welcome back buddy.
Remember him & gun kid. The one that sticks in my mind are H20man, I called him water boy. I offered him a real deal XM21 to shoot & Frank offered him free entry into the Cup or Bash can't remember which. He had more excuses not to shoot the match than Frank had members at that time. Offered to pick him up in Ga. drive him to Hardrock and supply any weapon of his choice, if he would just shoot the match with live heartbeats from the Hide watching. He tagged me as his stalker, after that.

That steam engine is incredible!!! Absolutely master work right there!!!

Let's see... guillotine was a fun short distraction.

This was my Christmas Week project…. Stuffing an AMC 401 (built!) into a CJ7. Was Weldong up the Cherry Bombs today and thinking I’ll stick spark plug in one exhaust to shoot flames.

View attachment 8314434

How Dare I!!

Sirhr
Cool project, Spray, forced Lungs, or is she going natural? You move that front axle or body?

Hmmm lately

Scott from Liberty Optics is MIA banging hookers and doing coke from money he stole.

Labradar has been completely wrecked by Garmin Xero.

Mark Laure has went full retard (again)

Hitting a rubber tire with a sledgehammer will not transfer energy to remove a stuck wheel

Oh yea Savage still sucks.
And Cobra Cutter is still sucking male appendages.

Cool project, Spray, forced Lungs, or is she going natural? You move that front axle or body?

Holley 4 barrel Brawler... Mechanical secondaries... 650 or 700 CFM... can't remember which.

I bought it with the 'chassis' done. Badly. I mean like hillbilly on meth with a welder bad. Got it mostly sorted out now. Axles, TH-400 and transfer case are from Jeep Honcho. The high-failure 'select-O-Matic' (whatever it was called) pushbutton transfer case is converted to a manual 2 lever set up. It's pure hotrod... Mainly designed to annoy the eco-neighbors!

Engine looks stock, but is pushing big HP and torque numbers on dyno. I'd have to look up. All redone with cam, edelbrock intake, ported, polished, poked and stroked. Stock exhaust manifolds, but the 'good ones' from the high output AMC V8 (so no cutting fenders for headers which never work right on a CJ). No top, no doors, no back seat... no interior. It might lift the front wheels ;-) Might.

Always wanted to put a 401 in my Jeep in High School. But couldn't afford to. So this is about having some fun before I'm too old to enjoy it!

Sirhr

I bought it with the 'chassis' done. Badly. I mean like hillbilly on meth with a welder bad.
I'm back for a few hrs and people are already discussing my virtues. :p
Know what you mean as I went to buy a 500KW genset to use as a rental and the guy proudly proclaimed he had built the base frame & fuel tank. When I ask about pressure testing the tank before I added fuel so I could load test the set, well lets just say the deal fell apart rather quickly. Good prime mover though 16V71 TIB Detroit w/a Marathon Alternator sporting a shunt trip breaker. His work killed the deal though.
Looks like a very cool project, Love the HEI, you get that from DUI in Tenn? I stripped all the fuel injection & computer carp off my 95 Nissan 4x4 and installed a DUI HEI and a carb from a 170ci ford falcon. Still enjoy that kind of stuff.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I'm back for a few hrs and people are already discussing my virtues. :p
Know what you mean as I went to buy a 500KW genset to use as a rental and the guy proudly proclaimed he had built the base frame & fuel tank. When I ask about pressure testing the tank before I added fuel so I could load test the set, well lets just say the deal fell apart rather quickly. Good prime mover though 16V71 TIB Detroit w/a Marathon Alternator sporting a shunt trip breaker. His work killed the deal though.
Looks like a very cool project, Love the HEI, you get that from DUI in Tenn? I stripped all the fuel injection & computer carp off my 95 Nissan 4x4 and installed a DUI HEI and a carb from a 170ci ford falcon. Still enjoy that kind of stuff.

It does sound nice! This is down with the guy who did the building for me. I build big old slow-turning pre-war babbitt metal engines. Not these fast revving thingies. They scare me!

Cheers,

Sirhr

It does sound nice! This is down with the guy who did the building for me. I build big old slow-turning pre-war babbitt metal engines. Not these fast revving thingies. They scare me!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Cool, right on about the slow movers. Did big iron for Tampa Ship yards & St Phillips towing years past. Some of them (78rpm max)had no rod caps as the piston/rod mass & two stroke design assured it was not coming off. Many a large genset only rotated at 600 rpm as that was synchronous for 60 hz.
I always liked the bigger iron much better than the smaller junk, I hated any/everything above 1200rpm, but the ALCO's an EMD's weren't all that bad. The only 1800 rpm junk I did not mind too much was the 35 series cat.

Hello Bastard ?

TH-400 and transfer case are from Jeep Honcho.

Sirhr
You certain that's a turbo 400 ?
AMC/Heep only ever put Chrysler 908/998 and 727 torqueflite automatics in there from the factory.
Bell housing adapter of some sort ?
Cause the ass end of a AMC block won't fit any GM automatic I have ever seen.

I'd be interested to know where you acquired such an adapter or modded bellhousing since I still have an old Javelin hanging around.
NOT that I have any issue with the 727 currently in it....they are pretty damn bullet proof.

Talked to jhuskey yesterday & that left me wondering what was happening in this shit hole. Give me the dirt about things these last few years.

See my old friend Mike Miller is back around as well.
Glad to see you here man. Hope it’s been good!

Glad to see you here man. Hope it’s been good!
Yea, still teaching resip EPG for Southern Co. every now & then. Only have to travel when they have really dicked something up bad, & they can't use a meter or follow direction. Teaching a friend how to do resip prime movers so he can expand upon tower work he does for them as well. Stopped shooting LR as it just does not blow my skirt anymore. Been doing a lot of subsonic stuff as I see that changing the balance more, if need be. Working/playing in the shop most days still trying to bend the laws of physics as much as I can (or dare) at times. Zero dark thirty finds me on the Radio looking for first hand accounts of world events, vs what the state/msm agenda presenters what me to believe. All in all life is good. Lost a few friends & folks I use to work with, who took the jab of death & some are still are having issues from that brain fart.

Last edited:
Wonder of DARPA has thought about that? Could be a game changer for sure. Next time I talk to the huskaviter I'll have to get his opinion. :)
A few months ago I thought your old employer was giving me the run-around on some parts. Looks like they are just having people issues, like a lot of others now. They finally sent it all less a 4x40x3/16, course the day after I cut one on the lathe, they sent one. One screw that was worth less than 1/10 of the postage. Guess the new move might be better after all. Hey, you have any samples left over, for an old friend?
Well, I'm sure things are still in flux with the move to TN in October.
Everything with a SN had to be returned. May still have a T-Shirt if you wear a 3X.
I've been retired long enough I don't know anyone there now.

Everything with a SN had to be returned. May still have a T-Shirt if you wear a 3X.
They would not by the boating or aircraft story? 3X would be a little big, but thinks for the offer.
Still miss David, very much. Was doing some chainsaw work for a neighbor weeks back and it brought back memories of him, when many of us were helping Bill cutting the blow downs at Hardrock long ago. I'll never forget his kindness at B&B Pawn one day, when he was helping a older lady with choosing between a 642 & a used very old body guard they had.

Reactions: shoot4fun
They would not by the boating or aircraft story? 3X would be a little big, but thinks for the offer.
Still miss David, very much. Was doing some chainsaw work for a neighbor weeks back and it brought back memories of him, when many of us were helping Bill cutting the blow downs at Hardrock long ago. I'll never forget his kindness at B&B Pawn one day, when he was helping a older lady with choosing between a 642 & a used very old body guard they had.
I was at DT's bedside when he passed. Cancer had taken everything and reduced his body to a shell. I have no shame in telling you I cried like a baby. He and I had traveled many a mile and even spent time blasting a few prairie dog towns.

I was at DT's bedside when he passed. Cancer had taken everything and reduced his body to a shell. I have no shame in telling you I cried like a baby. He and I had traveled many a mile and even spent time blasting a few prairie dog towns.
If I had been there, I would have done the same. The man that won't cry for a friend passing, was never a true friend. I can count all my friends on 1 1/2 hands, all but two would bring their own shovel & lime at 0230 if I ask.

Hello Bastard ?

You certain that's a turbo 400 ?
AMC/Heep only ever put Chrysler 908/998 and 727 torqueflite automatics in there from the factory.
Bell housing adapter of some sort ?
Cause the ass end of a AMC block won't fit any GM automatic I have ever seen.

I'd be interested to know where you acquired such an adapter or modded bellhousing since I still have an old Javelin hanging around.
NOT that I have any issue with the 727 currently in it....they are pretty damn bullet proof.
Some of the Jeep CJ, J and SJ series in the late 60's into the late 70's got TH400s and BW transfer cases so maybe that's what @sirhrmechanic is working with. The TH400 bells were cast to conform to the rear bolt patterns of the Chrysler/Jeep blocks. JW Performance also makes adaptor bells for TH400s to mate to Chrysler blocks.

Reactions: possumhunter1218
Some of the Jeep CJ, J and SJ series in the late 60's into the late 70's got TH400s and BW transfer cases so maybe that's what @sirhrmechanic is working with. The TH400 bells were cast to conform to the rear bolt patterns of the Chrysler/Jeep blocks. JW Performance also makes adaptor bells for TH400s to mate to Chrysler blocks.
This is all out of Jeep Pickups and Big Wagoneers/Cherokees.

I know shit about Auto Transmissions. Hate them. But this was with the 'package' so I rolled with it.

What I 'gather' is that this was a TH-400 variant that was supplied in the 1970's to early '80's big Jeeps but had its own bellhousing, shape, etc.

Hey... Rolls-Royce used a Turbo-400 variant from 1964 into the 1980's. But the external castings were 'their own.' At least that's what's in my Bentley. So there ya go.

But I think this was a Jeep version of the TH-400. That's what my transmission rebuilder implied.

The Turbo 400 (and little brother Turbo 350) were so ubitquitous in the '70's and '80's that I'd not be surprised to see them in Hondas and street sweepers. But you can put the guts and logic in a lot of shapes.

Though when it comes down to it... I am relying on my engine builder (I do pre-war engines) and his trans guy to put together a package I can bolt into my CJ-7. So I profess some real ignorance as to what is inside. I am trusting the guys who do this daily. All I know is how to line bore Babbitt motors that are approaching 8 liters and are 4 feet long.

Fancy fast stuff.... I'll bolt in!

Sirhr

Welcome back Sir . Your presence and radio knowledge was missed .
Thanks for the welcome.
Ham radio has been my salvation from the state run media. Getting info from folks about events across the ponds w/o agenda presenting is refreshing. Buddy's of mine who speak a few different languages come over at times and they explain some of the different conversations to me.
What we are hearing is almost 180* from what the US msm is reporting at times.
Radio is simple to get into and will be the last bastion of truth when it all goes to shit, if you can get to know folks all around this rock prior to.

This is all out of Jeep Pickups and Big Wagoneers/Cherokees.

I know shit about Auto Transmissions. Hate them. But this was with the 'package' so I rolled with it.

What I 'gather' is that this was a TH-400 variant that was supplied in the 1970's to early '80's big Jeeps but had its own bellhousing, shape, etc.

Hey... Rolls-Royce used a Turbo-400 variant from 1964 into the 1980's. But the external castings were 'their own.' At least that's what's in my Bentley. So there ya go.

But I think this was a Jeep version of the TH-400. That's what my transmission rebuilder implied.

The Turbo 400 (and little brother Turbo 350) were so ubitquitous in the '70's and '80's that I'd not be surprised to see them in Hondas and street sweepers. But you can put the guts and logic in a lot of shapes.

Though when it comes down to it... I am relying on my engine builder (I do pre-war engines) and his trans guy to put together a package I can bolt into my CJ-7. So I profess some real ignorance as to what is inside. I am trusting the guys who do this daily. All I know is how to line bore Babbitt motors that are approaching 8 liters and are 4 feet long.

Fancy fast stuff.... I'll bolt in!

Sirhr
Yep, you have a TH400 man'd for a Chrysler/Jeep application....Th400s were installed into everything from Chevy Muscle cars to Ferraris, Jags and nearly everything in between.

If your CJ-7's engine is going to be putting down any kind of real power, have your transmission builder dual feed the direct clutch internally, rollerize the rear of the case and install a billet, rollerized forward hub as the factory pot metal hubs in those are the only real weak link (well that and to some extent, the factory intermediate roller in post 71 TH400s and clutch snap ring, all years)...

Ask him about those even if you're not entirely sure about what I'm referring to - he will know...

Yep, you have a TH400 man'd for a Chrysler/Jeep application....Th400s were installed into everything from Chevy Muscle cars to Ferraris, Jags and nearly everything in between.

If your CJ-7's engine is going to be putting down any kind of real power, have your transmission builder dual feed the direct clutch internally, rollerize the rear of the case and install a billet, rollerized forward hub as the factory pot metal hubs in those are the only real weak link (well that and to some extent, the factory intermediate roller in post 71 TH400s and clutch snap ring, all years)...

Ask him about those even if you're not entirely sure about what I'm referring to - he will know...
The trans builder did his work under the instruction of my engine builder. For stall speed, internals, flex plate, torque converter, etc. They coordinated the details and I trust my engine guy who did the build and coordinated the trans.

But all good advice and probably handled because they both know what they are doing.

I always assumed the weak link was the transfer case 'auto' engagement. But not surprised that internals were... to 'someone's' spec. And that may not have been 'unlimited power!'

Cheers and thanks!

Sirhr

Reactions: nn8734