• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hello from England

Murl

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Hi all.
I'm from the UK, a life long shooter but only on my third year on centerfire using .308 out to 1000 yards and .223 to .600
Just added a quality optic to a very special rifle and looking to tighten my groups.

Greetings and Welcome, Murl! I'd appreciate it if you could take a minute and explain how you guys manage to shoot in the UK.

I have heard many times that the UK is "disarmed" which is not true as I have a lot of friends in the UK and many have nicer rigs/firearms than I have. How does "gun ownership" and shooting work in the UK?

Thanks in Advance! And, yes, I'm playing Devils Advocate.

Welcome again!

VooDoo

Reactions: Murl
Greetings and Welcome, Murl! I'd appreciate it if you could take a minute and explain how you guys manage to shoot in the UK.

I have heard many times that the UK is "disarmed" which is not true as I have a lot of friends in the UK and many have nicer rigs/firearms than I have. How does "gun ownership" and shooting work in the UK?

Thanks in Advance! And, yes, I'm playing Devils Advocate.

Welcome again!

VooDoo
Hi Voodoo,
Happy to oblige.
Gun ownership here is confusing. This is a very distilled rundown.
We can buy an air rifle under 22flp energy from the age on 18 no paperwork no questions asked.
We can own shotguns by right but need a certificate from the police and usually a Doctors report.
They can deny you a certificate of you have a criminal record, or physicaly or mentally unsuitable.
Air weapons over 12 flp and shotguns that have capacity of more than three shots, are classed as dangerous firearms along with rimfire and centerfire weapons.
To own these you have to apply for a firearms certificate which has more hoops to jump through than the shotgun certificate.
You need to demonstrate a need for the firearms (and moderator) you wish to own.
Say I want a rimfire for rabbits and a .308 for Deer and target shooting then this is a good reason and subject to a home visit interview and suitable storage you should be granted your certificate.
Home or self defense is not an suitable reason.
For each firearms you are granted you are awarded a "slot" that the weapon will be registered to.
However there is no right to firearms cert and there is very little recorse if they deny it.
It's a little like applying to own a moderator over there.
Above this we have section five weapons which are dangerous weapons that are not classified as those above
Everything from pistols to tanks.
Ownership of these is a home office desision based on very strict need. More or less impossible.
There are other variables like theatrical, dealers, manufacturers etc.

All in all expensive, long winded and sometimes frustrating.
Hope that helps a bit.

Hi Voodoo,
Happy to oblige.
We can buy an air rifle under 12flp (correction) energy from the age on 18 no paperwork no questions asked.

Hi Voodoo,
Happy to oblige.
We can buy an air rifle under 22flp energy from the age on 18 no paperwork no questions asked.
We can own shotguns by right but need a certificate from the police and usually a Doctors report.
They can deny you a certificate of you have a criminal record, or physicaly or mentally unsuitable.
Air weapons over 12 flp and shotguns that have capacity of more than three shots, are classed as dangerous firearms along with rimfire and centerfire weapons.
To own these you have to apply for a firearms certificate which has more hoops to jump through than the shotgun certificate.
You need to demonstrate a need for the firearms (and moderator) you wish to own.
Say I want a rimfire for rabbits and a .308 for Deer and target shooting then this is a good reason and subject to a home visit interview and suitable storage you should be granted your certificate.
Home or self defense is not an suitable reason.
For each firearms you are granted you are awarded a "slot" that the weapon will be registered to.
However there is no right to firearms cert and there is very little recorse if they deny it.
It's a little like applying to own a moderator over there.
Above this we have section five weapons which are dangerous weapons that are not classified as those above
Everything from pistols to tanks.
Ownership of these is a home office desision based on very strict need. More or less impossible.
There are other variables like theatrical, dealers, manufacturers etc.

All in all expensive, long winded and sometimes frustrating.
Hope that helps a bit.

This is Mike "Little Napoleon" Bloomberg's vision for gun ownership in the US as well. The government decides "if" you qualify to own a gun, what kind, what caliber, and where you can store it.

Reactions: Murl