• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from Michigan

wmn2

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2014
Hello, my name's Bill and I live in Southeast Michigan. Came to the forum because I've always been interested in long range shooting and sniper tactics. I'm originally from Ohio and bowhunting is my number 1 passion. I spent six years in the Marine Corps Reserves, where I made it to the rank of Sergeant. I was an 0341 (mortarman for those that don't know MOS'.) I look forward to reading and learning on this site. As of right now, I don't have any true long range weapons. I shoot a 22-250 savage for woodchucks and coyotes and I have a new frontier armory AR-15 with an optic and 3x magnifier. I am currently working on a home defense shotgun build out of an old remington 870 wingmaster that was given to me by my father. My next weapon is what I want to break into long range with and I think I want to do a M40A3 or A5 build in either .338 Lapua or .300 WinMag. All in all, I am happy to be here and happy to learn what you guys have to teach.

Thanks

Hi Bill. I also live in SE MI. Have you looked into what ranges are available to shoot those calibrrs? Unless you have access to private land, the SE MI area has nothing above 600 yards, unless you want to drive 3 hours one way. There are occasionally some long range (600 yard) matches around, but the 338 may not be welcome when shooting steel. Welcome, good luck.

Welcome!

I agree with StinkyDrunk on cartridge choice. There isn't a whole lot you can do to make much use of a 300wm or 338 in these parts. Can't really make use of the energy downrange because we can't riflehunt the non-wooded areas of Michigan, so that 1000 yard shot on game isn't going to happen. Same in our neighboring states. For shooting steel and paper out to ~1000 yards, the 300wm and 338 are serious overkill. Any of the 308 or Creedmoor family cartridges would be a lot easier on your wallet and shoulder! Of course, get what makes you feel good.

For "local" ranges, the main one in SEMI is Washtenaw Sportsmans Club in Ypsi. They have a 600 yard NRA range, and hold NRA Hi Power matches pretty frequently. They also run their own monthly matches, as well as 600 yard practice every Wednesday until November. These events are all open to non-member and very inexpensive.

Blue Water sportsman's association is in Port Huron, and there's another I can't think of the name of just south of Grand Rapids that has 500m range. These are all PAPER only ranges, although the BWSA club does ocassionally shoot steel.

To shoot steel, we have a range by Traverse City called Marksmanship Training Center with steel out to 1000 yards. This is a communal member range, but have open events pretty regularly. Next, there is Youngs LongShot in Wolcottville Indiana. Members only, or member guests only. This is a narrow alley 1000 yards deep with LOTS of berms and steel to shoot. Then there is Thunder Valley Precision in Kimbolton Ohio. This place has amazing terrain and steel from 100-1800 yards. They have casual matches and open range days nearly every weekend of the summer.

Hope that helps!

HE did a much better job providing details, and I agree with everything he said. Especially the wallet/shoulder comment. The range near Grand Rapids is South Kent Sportsmens Club FYI. I'm a member at Young's in Indiana, it's where I shoot my 300 WM mostly.

If you're itching to run that AR and a handgun, check out American Confederation of Tactical Shooters which is a 2-gun club I shoot with often, near Battle Creek. Good guys, several Marines/.mil. Some guys from the club are also members at Young's. We sometimes take off a Friday and head down and have the place to ourselves, good time.

Also Blue Water will be having a long range shoot April 5th, more info:

MGO Community Forum

Welcome, I am also from SE Michigan. As stated above your best bet would be to get a 308 or one of the 6.5 short action cartridges. I shoot out at Washtenaw, we have a practice every wed daylight savings to daylight savings time and two or three matches a month. Come on out bunch of good guys.

Welcome !
Mid -Mi here.

I'm not a big boomer shooter, but do like a fast twist 223AI and.243AI.

Been to Young's one time, great place.
First time going to 1k with my .223AI .
DSC_1051.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I will probably end up going with the .308 then. I was really leaning towards the .300 WM, but the more I think about it, the more readily available ammo for a .308 is, as well as dies and all the other goodies for reloading. I'm not going to be into long range hunting, so it will most likely be for paper and steel. Where at in Ypsi is the sportsman's club? I actually live in Ypsi township. What are your guys' recommendations for first-timer rifles? Obviously I would love a GAP or something like that, but funds won't allow a 3-4000 dollar rifle. Also, the two-gun matches sound awesome. I love that type of shooting with my AR and I have a decent .40 for the pistol.

We will have to do that for sure. I know exactly where that is. As far as long range goes, I'm originally from Ohio and the farm I hunt with my dad, I could set up over 1000 yards if I wanted. The more I look into things, maybe the .308 is what I need to get. I've looked into the remington 700 SPS tactical. Is this a good beginners rifle? Also, what is a good beginners scope? Thanks for any help.

We will have to do that for sure. I know exactly where that is. As far as long range goes, I'm originally from Ohio and the farm I hunt with my dad, I could set up over 1000 yards if I wanted. The more I look into things, maybe the .308 is what I need to get. I've looked into the remington 700 SPS tactical. Is this a good beginners rifle? Also, what is a good beginners scope? Thanks for any help.

I've not looked at factory guns in awhile, but it Rem still offers something with a H-S stock or B&C both with aluminum bedding blocks, it's a good place to start. Scopes... You need something with good turrets like Leupold. You can find decent used ones for much less than new. If you give a budget it would help.

yes, rem700 SPS or varmit is a great beginners gun. If you're new to PR shooting and trying to build on a budget then my advice is to stay with a good stock, out of the box rifle and spring for the best glass you can afford. you can always upgrade as you go with better stocks and barrels.

Thanks for the replies. I was also looking into the savage 10tr. I figured getting good glass was going to be more important anyways. I would probably try to buy used off of here for that. My budget total would probably be around 1500-2000. And I'd hope to maybe be able to get dies for reloading out of that price as well. Idk exactly when I will be springing to buy yet though.