• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from Oklahoma

Memberberries

Yup, I missed...
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2018
Green country
Hi everyone

Long time lurker here. I've been shooting and hunting since I was a kid but never really had anyone to shoot with that was into long range until the last couple years. I went through building AR's and eventually a couple 1911's but bolt rifles never really got much attention. I hunted with a 700 in 308 that's been mostly unchanged since new and its always done the trick. Living in northeastern Oklahoma my hunting has been limited to about 300 yds due to terrain so I never had to worry about it. I had shot steel out to 600 and ran a lot of rounds through that gun, as well as others. I've also learned how much good glass matters in the last couple of years and I have been trying to upgrade all of my rigs.

For fun here's my most recently finished AR.

Aero precision M4E1 set with a Ballistic advantage barrel in 223 wylde and a Schmidt and Bender Zenith on top. It's nothing to break any records but it shoots consistently and it's easy to carry.

Attachments

• DSC_0314.JPG
    DSC_0314.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 35
Hi everyone

Long time lurker here. I've been shooting and hunting since I was a kid but never really had anyone to shoot with that was into long range until the last couple years. I went through building AR's and eventually a couple 1911's but bolt rifles never really got much attention. I hunted with a 700 in 308 that's been mostly unchanged since new and its always done the trick. Living in northeastern Oklahoma my hunting has been limited to about 300 yds due to terrain so I never had to worry about it. I had shot steel out to 600 and ran a lot of rounds through that gun, as well as others. I've also learned how much good glass matters in the last couple of years and I have been trying to upgrade all of my rigs.

Aero precision M4E1 set with a Ballistic advantage barrel in 223 wylde and a Schmidt and Bender Zenith on top. It's nothing to break any records but it shoots consistently and it's easy to carry.

Welcome from Texas. Nice AR build.

Reactions: Memberberries
Almost. Vinita. I make it down to Claremore fairly often

What's your go to gun range? I've heard about a few longer range places but mostly I've just been to red castle for steel and private land if I want to break 600yds. Seems like pistol ranges and 200yd or less rifle ranges are all we get around here.

I’m out by Shawnee I go down to fouled bore usually about twice a month, welcome to the board
Hey Landon, I'm just east of you in Harrah... next time you're planning a trip to fouled bore on a weekend give me a heads up!

I’ll be back from North Dakota on the 13th and will probably try to go out there that Friday the 15th

Hey Landon, I'm just east of you in Harrah... next time you're planning a trip to fouled bore on a weekend give me a heads up!
Another one near Harrah. Usually shoot in Luther. It only goes to 200 but it's a good sighting range.

What's your go to gun range? I've heard about a few longer range places but mostly I've just been to red castle for steel and private land if I want to break 600yds. Seems like pistol ranges and 200yd or less rifle ranges are all we get around here.
Private land is about it around here. Have made it down to fouled bore a few times. Ramona has a little mini match once a month or so. I’m going to try that next Saturday.

Private land is about it around here. Have made it down to fouled bore a few times. Ramona has a little mini match once a month or so. I’m going to try that next Saturday.

I keep thinking that a range longer than 300 would be a viable business in northeast Oklahoma. Seems like there has been a waiting list for red castle memberships as long as I can remember and they are the only one around.

Reactions: tnc
Another one near Harrah. Usually shoot in Luther. It only goes to 200 but it's a good sighting range.
At OKC gun club? I've been there dozens of times for USPSA but never used their rifle range. I have 100 yards in my back pasture so never saw the need. I'll have to check it out next time I'm up there.

Hi everyone

Nice looking AR, with some serious glass on it. I see that stock looks carbon fiber, is is actually made of carbon fiber? Who makes it? I'd love to lighten my AR10 up if there is an option for lighter and still has a good cheek weld.

Nice looking AR, with some serious glass on it. I see that stock looks carbon fiber, is is actually made of carbon fiber? Who makes it? I'd love to lighten my AR10 up if there is an option for lighter and still has a good cheek weld.

Thanks, the stock is from Lancer Systems and comes in A1 and A2 lengths for rifle buffer tubes. its really made of carbon and it's only 9.4 oz, compared to a magpul moe fixed stock at 14 oz you save a little weight and gain a wider cheek weld. I think it is compatible with both ar15 and ar10. I like how it is a better cheek weld than the smoke industries and Incognito carbon buttstocks, still could benefit from a riser but I haven't made one for it yet.

When building or lightening an AR I see more weight to be saved in a lightweight BCG (mine is 8.2 oz from brownells and still has forward assist serrations, milspec is something like almost 12oz for an ar15) and buffer(JP low mass is 3.0 oz vs 5.2 oz for a standard rifle buffer) paired with an adjustable gas block to tune cycling(I got the Wojtek skeletonized adjustable gas block at 1.5 oz). It balances better to pull the weight from as far forward as possible. When shooting offhand, an extra ounce on the end of your handguard feels the same as a pound on your stock.

When building or lightening an AR I see more weight to be saved in a lightweight BCG (mine is 8.2 oz from brownells and still has forward assist serrations, milspec is something like almost 12oz for an ar15) and buffer(JP low mass is 3.0 oz vs 5.2 oz for a standard rifle buffer) paired with an adjustable gas block to tune cycling(I got the Wojtek skeletonized adjustable gas block at 1.5 oz). It balances better to pull the weight from as far forward as possible. When shooting offhand, an extra ounce on the end of your handguard feels the same as a pound on your stock.
Agreed, I've noticed the difference since I switched to a piston system and added a bunch of weight on the front end (not to mention a suppressor)... the tradeoff is being able to run suppressed all day and not carbon up the bolt, which I appreciate, but the weight is a pain. I'm expecting to mainly shoot rested or on a bipod so the front weight isn't as much of a concern as overall weight, and with everything I've added I'll drop every OZ I can, anywhere. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Memberberries
At OKC gun club? I've been there dozens of times for USPSA but never used their rifle range. I have 100 yards in my back pasture so never saw the need. I'll have to check it out next time I'm up there.

Im a member of the Okie Shooters range in Luther. OKC gun club had a long waiting list and I didn't want to wait. Anything longer than 200, I just go to Fouled Bore.

Out at Fouled Bore today. Don't know if I saw any of you, but a good time was had.
I'll be heading out as soon as the mount for my new scope comes in. Probably be at least a week, LaRue hasn't even sent me shipping info yet...

Welcome from OKC. I've been a member here for a while but mostly read and not post. Shoot BPCR but doing my first 308 build, or buying for one now anyway. I was a member at Tri-City for years but their annual mandatory meeting got to be a pain. Then started shooting BPCR at the OKCGC up by Arcadia so changed membership. They go out to 600. Met a great mentor in Norman at Tri-City though. Really helped as I broke into the casting world a decade ago and great friend now. Probably has 90 old rifles and hasn't bought a bullet in 30 yrs. One of the few cast bullet shooters in the military matches out at Tri-City. This AR-10 is a whole new world for me. I'm back to reading posts and gleaning information slowly - all over again. Got the M5E1/M5 upper and lower and LaRue trigger and a buffer so far (should have got the barrel ironed out before I bought the buffer but I thought I was decided on a BA 20"). Back to working on barrel choice. Considering the Criterion, 18" Hybrid profile but sort of bogging down and feeling some heat with Black Friday approaching. Good thing matches are done for the year.

Reactions: Jameson1