• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hello from Sacramento, CA

Dadude122

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2019
New member here and to bolt action rifles. Hoping to learn from the forum members and be more proficient with my rifle. Just purchased a Howa 1500 chambered in 308. I also invested in a Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm optic.

My question is whether or not the XTR II with the Burris XTR 34mm rings (either 1 inch or 1.5 inch) will clear the action without being too high above the barrel.

Welcome to the Hide.

Sorry I cannot help with your question but there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here at the Hide that I'm sure can. Please post your question in either the Sniper's Hide Rifle Scopes or Sniper's Hide Bolt Action Rifle forums so that the people that can help will see it.

Last edited:
What local range do you go to?

I use Los Altos for 100y and in, and head south to Avenal for stretching it out.

Reactions: Dragonscout25
What local range do you go to?

I use Los Altos for 100y and in, and head south to Avenal for stretching it out.

I just got my Burris XTR 34mm Signature rings in today thanks to another member in the Howa thread. I plan on going to Sac Valley Shooting Center in Ione, CA where they have a 100 yard and 300 yard rifle range open to the public.

I just moved to Sacramento and building my first long range rifle. Do you shoot at sac valley shooting center?
Welcome to Sacramento 916Shooter! I haven’t had a chance to go out to Sac Valley Shooting Center yet. With the pandemic going on it might be a while. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Welcome to Sacramento 916Shooter! I haven’t had a chance to go out to Sac Valley Shooting Center yet. With the pandemic going on it might be a while. Looking forward to seeing your build.

yeah I haven’t been able to go either. It looks cool.

I would rather go in the forest but having trouble finding spots.

Been out to SVSC all of one time. Longest range they have there is 300 meters unless you're a member of their club. And that just gets you out to 500. If you want access to the 1000 meter range you need to be a senior member first. Plus last I checked they were closed to the public because of COVID.

Been out to SVSC all of one time. Longest range they have there is 300 meters unless you're a member of their club. And that just gets you out to 500. If you want access to the 1000 meter range you need to be a senior member first. Plus last I checked they were closed to the public because of COVID.

I didn’t know you had to be a senior member for the long range. That’s unfortunate. Thanks for the info!

I didn’t know you had to be a senior member for the long range. That’s unfortunate. Thanks for the info!
Last I checked you had to be an NRA member first just to become a regular member. Then you had to be a regular member for a couple of years before someone could nominate you to be considered for a senior member. And of course there are fees and such involved as well. Unless the rules have changed recently because of COVID.

Thank you for the information. I was going to start out with their 100 yard range for zeroing but with COVID-19, it will be a while before I can make it out there.

Welcome from Napa! I too have a Howa 308 with a 4-16x56 Steiner mounted in seeking rings. I don’t rethink you’ll have any issues clearing the barrel but can’t answer whether or not the scope is too high. I try to get out to sac valley whenever I can. Awesome range.

Welcome to the Hide from Middle Georgia. As you've already found out, you got lotsa cousins near ya to help and maybe get you shooting more. The rings question is more of a personal one. Some folks prefer a higher setup due to facial structure (cheekbones, etc) but if they end up a little too high, you can always add a cheekrest or adjustable comb. I'm left handed and the typical stock is not built for LH unless you pay the premium. I want to be more down on the stock for that "weld". As a result, more than one friend or acquaintance has said it was too low. For ME it's perfect. The only way they'll get it is from my cold dead hands, so I fit me. Good luck to you Brother and glad to have you here!

Reactions: Dadude122
Thank you Dragonscout25 for the welcome. Yes, you are correct about the height of the scope rings.

Thank you The D for the welcome.