• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hells Canyon Armory New Carbon Composite Rifles

HellsCanyonArmory

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
Idaho
www.facebook.com
Well some secrets have already been let out of the bag and ya'll have known this was coming for awhile. We've yet to update a new page of our website outlining our new one of a kind composite barreled long range rifles, but figured it was time enough to announce them!

First things first, these rifles are on a 6 MONTH delivery time. For those of you already familiar with the industry, that's pretty standard if not quicker than 70% of the builders out there. Cost will be in the $4,000-$4500 range.

The secret to this rifle and what makes it vastly different from other carbon barreled rifles, is the fact that the barrel is not wrapped exclusively with carbon fiber. We've employed a barrel wrap technology that greatly reduces barrel harmonic as well as increased rigidity for the size of contour use. Very cool stuff and we're very excited about it!

We can build these rifles off of a custom action or a true'd Remington 700 platform. Our barrel contours are coming from either Bartlein or Benchmark and they both make fantastic barrel cores.

Here's an example of a recent build:
True'd Remington 700 Action
Custom 1 piece bolt from Pacific Tool & Gauge with mini 16 extractor and tactical bolt knob.
HCA Composite Barrel finished at 27", 1:9.4" twist
338 Norma Magnum cut with PTG reamer
Timney Trigger set at 1.5 lbs
APA Fat Bastard Brake
Manners Elite Hunter 1 stock pillar bedded using "stress free" bedding techniques
Factory BDL bottom metal (any other bottom metal can be used, prices vary)
Approximate weight of bare rifle is 7.55 lbs (We're going to be doing a few other things to lighten them up, this rifle is about the heaviest you'll see). Rifle with Seekins base/rings and Vortex FFP PST scope is 9.5 lbs. The way these rifles balance is amazing as well because all the weight is centered around the action.

Current rifles being built off of Remington 700 Long Actions are running 7 lbs approximately for a 26" barrel. (A few onces more or less depending on caliber selection)

Using H1000 powder this rifle is shooting 300 grain SMK's approximately 2750 fps with great accuracy and no pressure signs. Using Vihtavouri N570 there's another 100 fps of speed in this caliber. We can build any caliber rifle you want off of this platform with various barrel lengths available.

Here's a test target from the below rifle at 500 yards:

Another test target at 100 yards. Above group is jammed .030" into the lands (obviously not what the rifle likes), the bottom group measured right below .5 MOA and is .005" jumped off the lands.

Pictures of rifle:

Also we haven't really come up with a name yet for these rifles that we like... We'd appreciate suggestions! $400 off the purchase price of one to the person who's suggestion is approved for naming these rifles! :)

Mike

Last edited:
"Cerberus," In reference to the three headed dog which guarded the gates of Hell in Greek Mythology. Alternately, "Charon," in reference to the captain who brought damned souls to their final destination across the river Styx.

"Hell's Styx" or Hade's Styx" both play on words of Hell and the river Styx but gun sticks as well.

Very nice looking rifles! An under 10lbs is amazing. I can only think of how light they would be with one of the new carbon fiber stocks from VTG (I forget the companies name but there is a thread around here on them).

A few questions

1. What is the weight savings on having an 16-18" barrel (I assume the shorter you go the less weight saving you will see over regular steel barrels)?

2. Will these need to be specified if they are going to be used in conjunction with a suppressor?

3. Will you be selling just the barrels eventually?

4. Will you only be working on remington style actions?

5. Durability - I don't shoot a ton but they do ride around in the truck and on the wheeler as well as the pack so I am curious how they stand up to vibrations and being knocked around (Not abused but just well used)

Thanks

"Black Mamba" "Carbinator"

That's a seriously sweet looking rifle. What is the barrel life like? Can it handle 15-20 round strings of fire without walking? How does it compare to the current Proof Research barrels? I'd really be interested to see group size for a 20-rd string. Thanks!

Very nice looking rifles! An under 10lbs is amazing. I can only think of how light they would be with one of the new carbon fiber stocks from VTG (I forget the companies name but there is a thread around here on them).

A few questions

1. What is the weight savings on having an 16-18" barrel (I assume the shorter you go the less weight saving you will see over regular steel barrels)?

2. Will these need to be specified if they are going to be used in conjunction with a suppressor?

3. Will you be selling just the barrels eventually?

4. Will you only be working on remington style actions?

5. Durability - I don't shoot a ton but they do ride around in the truck and on the wheeler as well as the pack so I am curious how they stand up to vibrations and being knocked around (Not abused but just well used)

Thanks

We are very happy with the weights indeed! :)

The weight savings are actually pretty good if you wanted a barrel that short. If my math is correct you'll be saving around 1.5 oz per inch of barrel removed at the muzzle. If the above rifle weighs at 7.55 lbs and 10" of barrel was taken off making it a 17" barrel you'd be around 15 oz lighter. Also dependent upon caliber as finished contours are identical thus barrel wall thicknesses vary from one caliber to another; For example the above rifle is a .338 caliber and actually has a thinner barrel wall than say a .243 caliber.

Let us know what size threads you want on the muzzle and we'll make it happen. No metric threads however...

We are not selling barrels individually, keeping them reserved for HCA builds only.

Right now we are only working on Remington actions but other actions will be accepted on a case by case basis if you have one you want to supply!

Durability is great on these barrels and even if you do happen to ding the carbon, it in NO WAY affects performance and you won't have to worry about the layers peeling away from each other. These are meant to be hunting/field rifles and are meant to be used! I'm sure not afraid to set my rifle in the bushes or on the truck floorboard... :)

We will work on getting a 15 shot string target for you guys. We have more barrels on order from Benchmark right now and the first models of these guns are currently being used on hunts as I speak! This is on our priority list to get out there so it shouldn't be very far out...

Thanks everyone! We're really excited about getting these in the hands of some of you for some field testing!

Mike

"Black Mamba" "Carbinator"

That's a seriously sweet looking rifle. What is the barrel life like? Can it handle 15-20 round strings of fire without walking? How does it compare to the current Proof Research barrels? I'd really be interested to see group size for a 20-rd string. Thanks!

Proof makes a great product. But an entirely different process in how they wrap their barrels... Barrel life is like any other stainless barrel, this wrap is shedding heat like crazy but we have yet to burn one up yet so I can't give you concrete data on that. As I mentioned in my above post we'll get a high round count target out as soon as possible!

Mike

"Cerberus," In reference to the three headed dog which guarded the gates of Hell in Greek Mythology

What I came here to say. It would also be very poignant because Cerberus guards the Third Circle of Hell, that of the Gluttons.

When the rifle employees carbon fiber, typically used as a weight saver, and when the field of similar rifles are typically dominated by heavier ones, it is rather fitting.

Plus then you open yourself up to the theme of Dante's Inferno, and the Nine Circles of Hell. This could be the first foray into that, even if you start at the third Circle.

If you make a short barreled version of the rifle, it could be named after something referencing the Second Circle of Hell. Because the rifle would be smaller, the Second Circle of Hell would make sense because it is that of Lust, and where those are punished by tremendous winds (the shorter rifle would probably have a more concussive muzzle blast, no?). It could be called The Rimini, or Tristan - both referencing Second Circle of Hell.

Side note, not religious, so thank you Wikipedia.

What I came here to say. It would also be very poignant because Cerberus guards the Third Circle of Hell, that of the Gluttons.

When the rifle employees carbon fiber, typically used as a weight saver, and when the field of similar rifles are typically dominated by heavier ones, it is rather fitting.

Plus then you open yourself up to the theme of Dante's Inferno, and the Nine Circles of Hell. This could be the first foray into that, even if you start at the third Circle.

If you make a short barreled version of the rifle, it could be named after something referencing the Second Circle of Hell. Because the rifle would be smaller, the Second Circle of Hell would make sense because it is that of Lust, and where those are punished by tremendous winds (the shorter rifle would probably have a more concussive muzzle blast, no?). It could be called The Rimini, or Tristan - both referencing Second Circle of Hell.

Side note, not religious, so thank you Wikipedia.

Wow good stuff have to think on that a bit! Way to put the extra effort into it! :)

Mike

Dang it Janus, you knew just where I was going with that. I was going to wait until they offered another $400 off to name the next rifle, and hopefully scoop that one too. In all seriousness though Mike (and the rest of the HCA crew,) you all have a great website, and your product looks solid. I do wonder though, does the carbon fiber wrapping throw off more or less mirage than a traditional SS or CS barrel?

Dang it Janus, you knew just where I was going with that. I was going to wait until they offered another $400 off to name the next rifle, and hopefully scoop that one too. In all seriousness though Mike (and the rest of the HCA crew,) you all have a great website, and your product looks solid. I do wonder though, does the carbon fiber wrapping throw off more or less mirage than a traditional SS or CS barrel?

Ha well props for gaming the competition... or attempting too! :)

As far as mirage that's a tough one to test. I do remember seeing some mirage while doing load development on the 338 Norma... so it is a factor but not sure how it directly compares to a standard stainless barrel.

Mike
Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I shoot F TR, so mirage is a big concern, as is weight. If you get the chance, look at the mirage after that 15-20 rnd string you are planning to shoot. I have a Krieger med. palma on my gun, and the mirage starts to get really obstructive after about 25 shots if I am going quickly, or about 45 if I am taking my time. If you get any more data, please let me know.

Hells canyon-

Thank you for the replies.

I didn't see any prices on your web site. Could you IM me prices just for a rebarrel?

Thanks

Name it after one of the most terrifying creatures ever to stalk the earth, the "Rosie O'Donnell"

Last edited:
Hells canyon-

Thank you for the replies.

I didn't see any prices on your web site. Could you IM me prices just for a rebarrel?

Thanks

Will do soon as I get back to a computer might be in the morning if that's ok?

Ranger, great idea! Wouldn't even have to burn powder to kill somethin, just put a popout flag on the end with her picture and the animals will likely have a seizure and kill right over! Now we need to get this thread on another page so we don't have to keep staring at that thing! :p

Mike

Very nice, Mike! I recal talking about this with you @ the Findlay Cup last year, it sounded like a great idea, to finally see it come together is awesome!

Kirk R

It has been a LONG time in the making Kirk that is for sure! Let me know if you would like us to chamber up a barrel for you someday...

Mike

So are you saying you will not let the customer provide the custom action and just chamber/install a barrel for them on that action?

So are you saying you will not let the customer provide the custom action and just chamber/install a barrel for them on that action?

Negative. We'll be more than happy to chamber up a barrel on a customer supplied action. We just won't send out a barrel blank to a customer or other builder at this point.

Mike

I think you should call the rifle "Oxbow", it's a name of a dam in Hells Canyon!

Last edited:
Thank you for the PM - Good prices.

The stock I was talking about was from evil empire. I think with one of your barrels and that stock you could get a sub 8lb set up possibly even lighter.

Off to check in the couch for more money

PM sent! Thank you :)

Mike

"Medusa Rifle or Medusa" because one shot will turn your ass to stone.

"Achilles"

"Ridgeback" because those dogs are bad as fuck and they're used in Africa to hunt Lions

Last edited:
The stock I was talking about was from evil empire. I think with one of your barrels and that stock you could get a sub 8lb set up possibly even lighter.
That will be one heck of a combination. Please post pictures of the build.

The "Packer" the Meat tenderizer, slap chop, Long range hunter, Lightweight series, Hells Canyon Deluxe long range hunter, the meat packer, back breaker, featherweight series, or just name it The rifle

For a name

Call it

The Devils backbone (or ridge) or the Hog's Back to keep with land features

Thank you for the PM - Good prices.

Off to check in the couch for more money

Aren't those stocks running 800-900 grams? That's over 28 oz which is what these manners stocks are running... unless I'm missing something?

Mike

If you don't mind, PM me a price for fitting a barrel to my Tac300 action.
***And a time frame.
Thanks,

Do you guys have a storefront in Wenatchee, or someplace I can check it out in person?

Negative on the store front we build the rifles out of a shop in Lewiston. We have more barrels on order and should have some more available soon for you to check out if you want.

Trevor300wsm, PM inbound!

Mike

Hmmmm.... didn't know they were that heavy.........going to make a call to christensen (sp?) arms tomorrow and see how much theirs weigh in at.

Aren't those stocks running 800-900 grams? That's over 28 oz which is what these manners stocks are running... unless I'm missing something?

Mike

Hmmmm.... didn't know they were that heavy.........going to make a call to christensen (sp?) arms tomorrow and see how much theirs weigh in at.

I just went through the whole evil empire stock thread and their lightest is close to 800 grams with their tactical model being close to 1000 grams. I'm waiting to hear back from them regardless as I think we could have a very wicked looking rifle with a CF stock as well as barrel... though the $800 price tag is quite a bit more than a manners!

Mike

I have tested carbon wrapped barrels against conventional barrels and then again against the Straight Jacket barrel system. Carbon sheds the heat quite a bit faster than a conventional barrel, no argument there, but the mirage is insanely increased.

HCA, you're putting out a sexy rifle for sure. The weight is great. Great Long Range Hunter. Good Luck with the sales.

In case you haven't seen them yet this would make a great combo with the new Manners Carbon fiber stocks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 25
Hmmmm.........I know I can't afford it but man how would it be to have a DTA covert 308 or 260 with one of these barrel and a Ti suppressor? Near as I can figure with a Ti suppressor you could have a DTA covert that weighs the same as a DTA without a Ti suppressor given the 15oz weight savings on the barrel ....... That is a project for someone with a lot more money than I will have but I but man would it be a handy set-up

I have tested carbon wrapped barrels against conventional barrels and then again against the Straight Jacket barrel system. Carbon sheds the heat quite a bit faster than a conventional barrel, no argument there, but the mirage is insanely increased.

HCA, you're putting out a sexy rifle for sure. The weight is great. Great Long Range Hunter. Good Luck with the sales.

Raptor, because it's stealth and takes your breath away like the F22. Raptor, like a bird of prey or the dinosaurs who are/were light and agile predators.