• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Helmet/Mount setup with PVS-14 and Clip on NVD

Twelve208

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2009
SE Idaho
I'm trying to get a helmet rig going for my PVS-14.It just came with the skull crusher and the usgi mount.JUNK.
I also have a clip on NVD for the gun,and what I'm running into is I cannot get into to scope because the PVS is in the way.
So what are you guys doing/using? Flipping the J-Arm up out of the way? Are there mounts that allow you to flip the PVS back and fourth real fast to get into the scope?
Totally new to the helmet/mount setup,hopefully I'm making some sense.
Thanks in advance.

Most any helmet out there is far better than the skull crusher. Also, most mounts, from the USGI Rhino mount to the really expensive ones, will flip up so that you can get good cheek wield behind your scope. Your head will thank you if you get a good helmet. My favorite is the Team Wendy LTP, I don't really have a second favorite, because I like that one so much. But, they are a little more expensive than most polymer bump helmets.

Cool thanks for the advice.I see plenty of the flip up type mounts.Is there something that rolls out to the side as to the flip up type?
Or would that even work?
Thanks again.

Cool thanks for the advice.I see plenty of the flip up type mounts.Is there something that rolls out to the side as to the flip up type?
Or would that even work?
Thanks again.

When you say rolls out to the side, are you talking about in the up and stowed position or in the down in use position? Our Dual PVS 14 mount does both. granted our system is puting two PVS 14s together in a bino combination but we have customers buying them who only own 1 PVS 14 because of the mounts incredible adjust ability.

Have you given an AN/PEQ-15 style device any thought? Eliminates the need to use the scope at night, unless that is not what you were intending to do, or if you intend to make long shots, kind of going out on a limb here, since I have no idea what your setup consists of or your intended use.

When you say rolls out to the side, are you talking about in the up and stowed position or in the down in use position? Our Dual PVS 14 mount does both. granted our system is puting two PVS 14s together in a bino combination but we have customers buying them who only own 1 PVS 14 because of the mounts incredible adjust ability.

Peter,
I'm really looking for something you don't have to flip all the way up,just rolls out enough in the down position to get a good cheek weld.
I seen and got the idea going from your website.I am also running an LDI ITAL-A.It will be great for the run and gun stuff,but the clip on really gets the precision I'm looking for.Thanks again for the ideas.

Here is pic of dual 14 mount. The L-3 on the left side of the helmet (right side of pic) is in the "down" position. The pinnacle on the right side of helmet( left side of pic) is in the "flipped to side" position. In most cases, this positioning allows use of scope for right eye of person wearing helmet. No need to "flip up" over the top. You can see through both the scope w/ NVD clip on right eye and the left eye 14 at the same time though the images won't merge as they are of different sizes and magnifications.

Give the crye night cap a consideration. It's very light and compact. Negates the need for a bulky helmet and still lets you run a flip up mount. The device is much more close to your head and relieves much of the cantilever weight and helps with not needing a counter weight. It is awesome for recce and hunting etc.

Give the crye night cap a consideration. It's very light and compact. Negates the need for a bulky helmet and still lets you run a flip up mount. The device is much more close to your head and relieves much of the cantilever weight and helps with not needing a counter weight. It is awesome for recce and hunting etc.

Second on the night cap. I've got a Team Wendy and a Night Cap (also a broke ass Ops Core- Don't waste your money) and I typically grab the night cap.

Since you're using a clip on and a head mounted 14, have you tried using the 14 over your left eye? When I'm just using IR laser, I have the 14 on my right eye. When I'm using a NV or thermal scope, I run the 14 over my left eye. I typically have to flip it up anyway to get to the scope, but can peek through the thermal to scan without flipping it up.

For my thread on OpsCore Fast Base and why not to buy them- http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...268633-opscore-fastbase-customer-service.html

Last edited: