• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP!!!!!!.223 Auto Non AR platform

Houston Fire 34

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2012
Texas
Hey guys,
I finally got my wife interested in hunting this year and she wants a rifle but she put some weird constraints on me with it. It has to a deer rifle(bolt gun) platform but automatic. She hates ARs so thats out. I want to keep her in 223 as I load a ton of it for my MK12. She also doesn't like the Mini 14. I showed her the Remington 750 and she loved it but haven't seen one in 223. Any info would be a great help.

What doesn't she like about the mini14? I'd think a Ranch Rifle would fit the 223 bolt gun model as good as anything you're likely to find.

I forgot, as a woman she's required to be contrary.

Typical...want to have their cake and eat it too!! ;) Look...for a .223 semi-auto for hunting...the AR is really your best bet on so many fronts that, and I know its like trying to move the earth and heavens, you would be better to try to convince her that's the best option versus anything else on the market for a .223 semi-auto. If its wood furniture she's after, or otherwise taking away the "evil black rifle" look of the system, they make wood for ARs for both fore and aft as well as a host of "purdy" girly colors/styles. ;)

Smallest caliber for the 750, to the best of my knowledge, has always been .243, so that's probably out unless she wants to move up somewhat in caliber (.243 is a great deer round with the right pills without a significant increase in recoil).

There's also the Molot VEPR series rifles...the Super VEPR and Pioneer rifles are available in .223 and they are excellent rifles depending on the wifey's "expectations" for them. MOLOT VEPR SUPER Rifles and The Best Deals and Lowest...

Good on her for skipping the Mini...at least that shows she wants to hit what she shoots at!

It is too bad she doesn't like the most accurate auto-loader platform ever invented.
Maybe she would like a hunting version of the AR like the nice Ambush line...

02_110_09222_amb_68_rt_r_1.jpg

Otherwise check these...

Saiga or Molot's VEPR.

SAI-223-D.jpg

vepr223.jpg

vpr7013.jpg

These below take AR magazines...

Keltec C or CA are handy ranch rifle type of deal.

kel-tec-su16ca.jpg

Benelli MR1 has one with the hunting stock.

Benelli-MR1-ComforTech-Carbine.jpg

Volquartsen Centerfire

11-evolution-w-brown-stock.jpg

H&K SL8

41599.jpg

Keep in mind to stabilize some of the best bullets you need a 1:8 twist like the nice 70gr TSX.

Last edited:
No no valmet hunter is where its at.
1060782_02_valmet_hunter_ak47_ak_47_223_640.jpg

Or the H&K SL6 it is a 223 semi there used to be quite a few getting around over here.

hk-14.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Last edited:
for a hunting semi, in a traditional hunting style rifle, the remington autoloaders are about as nice as they come, unfortunately remington never chambered any of the autoloading rifles in .223, they did chamber .223 in the 760 for a short time, which is the same style rifle, but a slide action. as mentioned previously, they did chamber the 742 750 and 7400 in 6mm and .243, which is a very nice option for the wife, although not .223. If it's a hunting rifle, chances are she's not going to be burning multiple hundred rounds per season though, so perhaps supplying ammo isn't that big of a problem. my two cents for what it's worth.

There will be little selection for 5.56 in semi auto that would be as accurate as a flat top ar..... Id tell her to get over it ;)

Hey guys,
I finally got my wife interested in hunting this year and she wants a rifle but she put some weird constraints on me with it. It has to a deer rifle(bolt gun) platform but automatic. She hates ARs so thats out. I want to keep her in 223 as I load a ton of it for my MK12. She also doesn't like the Mini 14. I showed her the Remington 750 and she loved it but haven't seen one in 223. Any info would be a great help.

He is looking for a 5.56/223. Maybe you mean the FN SCAR? ...she doesn't seem to like tactical carbines anyway.

He's right , FN-AR is a great choice. Lucky jack isn't talking about the SCAR although that would also be an option . The FN AR is a great choice as a hybrid gas gun / more traditional styling but it's only chambered in .308.

What about a Ruger Mini 14 ? That seems like it has the features you want and not all evil black gun looking .

what will you be hunting with a .223, this will kill but it was meant to wound.

Remington 742 woodmaster has served me well 30-06 DRT. 1966-2013

I have a RRA Coyote in 20" but I'm not a 223 or AR fan either. So I had a bunch of ammo & bought a Keltec 223 that folds. It's piston driven, runs like a watch & under $500. It also has a long scope rail & you can store a couple mags in the stock. Packs well too.
OK now you can start laughing but I really like KelTec products & carry a PF9. Buds has them for $498/shipped but I'm sure you can find them cheaper. Also the use AR mags.

Seems like remington recently made a pump in 223 that is all black and was marketed for law enforcement with a short barrel. Could be wrong on that. Try your best to talk her into ar. My wife uses a daniel defense lightweight that she really likes. Easy to pack around. Has a aimpoint pro on it, very good setup for a female shooter.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

An AR with a monte-carlo stock? Is it possible? I dont know with the buffer. Also, i know its not 5.56 but have you looked at an SKS? It has wood furniture, Ammo is cheap and a good deer gun. Fairly low recoil...

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for the input. The Volquartzen is probably the nicest looking rile Ive seen and as usual when i find what Im looking for its way out of my price range. But damn its pretty. I think Im gonna end up with a .243 for her in the Remington but not dead set on it. Keep the suggestions coming and yes I'm still working on the AR platform for her. I really don't care, its hers and frankly I'm just glad she wants to get out there with me.

I would very much encourage you to look at the Remington 750. This is a solid performer that has served my niece for several years of hunting. The .243 version seems to be decently accurate and the silhouette of rifle is about as far from AR platform as you can get.

Never seen or met anyone that I could not build an AR15 that they would not find acceptable. The 7.5 to 26" barrels are just a start to the gun that "if you can dream it you can build it". There are so many options that I find it impossible to dislike what you have never seen or tried. With all the dipped or Durakote or Cerakote finishes, the possibilities are endless! Every time I am at the range or just plinking I get the "that's an AR??" question.

I've repaired a lot of Remington 742's over the years. I've found it to be one of the finest single shot rifles ever made. The same goes for the Winchester 100 but the 742 takes it. One good thing about the 742 these days is the pump conversion kit. Back in the day...30 years ago with a Redfield 3x9-40 TV wide screen view they were great. Now, not so much. I'd avoid buying a used 742 or 100.

I have a safe full of guns . rifles pistols and shotguns . my wife said she wanted a gun for when Im not home , so I said theres the safe pick one out . she went to town and bought a henry lever action. I just keep my mouth shut since she loves it and armadillos and racoons fear it. get her what she wants .