• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help A Hide Brother - Funds for JMGlasgow

Got an update on the house. They tested for asbestos and it tested positive everywhere in the house. Its classified as a spill. So now there will need to be an abatement performed.

Who knows what's involved in that?

Not much different than the ppe now needed to go to the grocery. What all was identified as containing?

Reactions: Barneybdb
Literally everything in the house has asbestos on it now. I'm assuming it came from the ceiling insulation.

Does it mean they have to replace everything in the house like drywall, trim, etc?

Reactions: Bender
Sorry, beyond my knowledge. I've only dealt with it with structures that will be demolished.

With a demo, it's not a big deal. Remove identified materials and may need to spray the building down during demo. The concern is it being airborne. I assume cleaning removes the threat, but that's just my assumption.

Probably going to total everything in your house. Call the adjuster again.

it will all need to be removed and properly disposed of by licensed remediators. I would triple wash anything you have kept from the fire.

It may be more economical to demo and start over than to do a fully contained asbestos abatement. Think negative air containment and full PPE along with everything having to be run through HEPA filtration, abatement is crazy expensive. Demo can be done by keeping everything wet down and contained.

Sorry to hear that bit of news, glad to see we could help out a little. If I weren't 1400 miles away, I'd offer to help as well.

As for everyone that pitched in, YOU GUYS ROCK! It restores a little faith in the human race to see this group go to work on something!

We are moving today into our apartment for the foreseeable future. Over 30 samples were taken by the asbestos testing guy. Pretty sure the old shingle siding has asbestos in it too.

Now that I can tell you about. My grandmother's house had asbestos shingles on it and basically the cost was going to be so ridiculously high that they no-shit sided right over it. Caused black mold issues later and whole thing had to be redone plus gut the house.

Asbestos abatement ain't cheap. But I do know if it's sealed it's not dangerous. It's when it goes airborne that's bad (fires).

Really glad to see the 'Hide come through again but damn, it still seems like a drop in the bucket for what all you're going through. I just really hope it all works out and insurance comes through and does their job.

May have something to do with exchange rate from Aussie (worthless) dollars???

Yeah, or part of a fee out of an otherwise even sum... But it's funnier to think someone threw in $50 --and eighty-four cents.

So a few updates...

The asbestos abatement is done, now we are waiting for the real work to begin. Permits have been a bit of an issue lately.

I snapped a few pics of the interior after the abatement:

Kitchen
20200505_133056.jpg

Living room
20200505_133048.jpg

Master bedroom
20200505_133106.jpg

Office (future dining room, a wall is coming down)
20200505_133043.jpg

Utility room where the fire was directly above
20200505_133322.jpg

Rafters now that you can get a clear view
20200505_133159.jpg

On another subject, we are quickly running out of dwelling coverage, and we are pretty sure the siding can't be matched, so it will all have to be replaced.

So to save money, the restoration company has agreed to let me remove the siding down to the 1x8 exterior sheeting. I would like some help, and maybe enough people so we can get it taken down fairly quickly. The siding is old aluminum, with a layer of shingle siding underneath. I'll let you know when we get the green light to take it down.

We are in the process of getting a loan to cover any additional expenses, and to upgrade the kitchen, bathroom, and cover additional siding costs.

My 1993 Mustang GT is a different frustrating matter that is hopefully being handled. It is being repaired, but I have to keep a close eye on the body shop. I caught them cutting corners and my car is in the middle of a revolving door of employees.

Appreciate the update Brother!!! I might just steal your idea and move our Washing Machine and Dryer into the living room so we don't have to get off the Couch for that chore. :ROFLMAO:

It's all coming together. Not near as quick as you'd like, but it's happening. Good for you guys!!

Ok, requests have been made to post pictures of the car. They are crude so hopefully you all can see.

This is a picture of the car soon after I bought it just over 2 years ago.
IMAG0253.jpg

These are after the fire. The damage doesn't look bad, and the interior was OK. Mouldings got melted a bit, the windshield cracked around the perimeter, the bumper covers sagged a bit, sunroof weatherstripping was damaged. There was also a dent on the roof from a rafter falling on it.

The damage could have been FAR worse.
20200226_104808.jpg

20200226_104824.jpg

20200226_104836.jpg

20200226_104857.jpg

20200226_104853.jpg

20200226_105016.jpg

These are pictures of the car that a friend of mine took for me. His dad is the person I bought the car from. I lusted after that car for 20 years, and he finally sold it to me.

35539.jpeg
35543.jpeg
35544.jpeg
35547.jpeg
35550.jpeg
35557.jpeg

Notice the 2 tone is now gloss (wrong), the door handles are now body colored (wrong), the door lock cylinders are silver (wrong), and if you look close there are runs in the paint and overspray. They also painted the entire car without prior approval from the insurance company.

They assured me my list of concerns would be addressed, and I truly do hope that happens and the car gets fixed right.

I spoke to @Lapuapalooza this morning, and I feel bad that I completely missed his offer to have it repaired at his shop. In the future I'll keep him in mind should I need auto body work done.

Last edited:
Another thought. Those of you who have donated recently (last day or so), I never intended to ask for more money or donations. I would like that money to be refunded. This site and its members have been more than generous. So maybe @powdahound76 or @1J04 could arrange for the funds to be refunded.

These are pictures of the car that a friend of mine took for me. His dad is the person I bought the car from. I lusted after that car for 20 years, and he finally sold it to me.

View attachment 7330602View attachment 7330603View attachment 7330604View attachment 7330605View attachment 7330606View attachment 7330607

Notice the 2 tone is now gloss (wrong), the door handles are now body colored (wrong), the door lock cylinders are silver (wrong), and if you look close there are runs in the paint and overspray. They also painted the entire car without prior approval from the insurance company.

They assured me my list of concerns would be addressed, and I truly do hope that happens and the car gets fixed right.

I spoke to @Lapuapalooza this morning, and I feel bad that I completely missed his offer to have it repaired at his shop. In the future I'll keep him in mind should I need auto body work done.
Paint? What???!!! That should have buffed right out, JEFF!!!! 😁

My offer still stands, call for advice, help, whatever....

Believe me, I would like to. The issue is the amount of work already done, and coming to an agreement about how much money in repairs is fair to the current shop. Im going to ride this out, and hopefully when I go get the car it is done right. The shop knows how to do their job, they just need to actually do it properly.

I know it's frustrating when you tell a body shop to "take your time, do it right like you guys can do" and then they half-ass it. Been there done that.
Did they remove the windows before the respray?

They did not, and the insurance company even paid them to remove the back glass. There are paint seams around the quarter windows and overspray all over the rear trim (which aren't available new anymore). Supposedly that is all getting addressed and was on my list of concerns. When I go to pick up the car I'm going over it with a fine tooth comb. I'm not letting them get away with shortcuts if I can help it.

They did not, and the insurance company even paid them to remove the back glass. There are paint seams around the quarter windows and overspray all over the rear trim (which aren't available new anymore). Supposedly that is all getting addressed and was on my list of concerns. When I go to pick up the car I'm going over it with a fine tooth comb. I'm not letting them get away with shortcuts if I can help it.
Yep. Show up early. Pack your lunch. Take your time. You are the one that has to live with the final result.

Reactions: JMGlasgow