• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help a midwest guy find a long range playground .

aspen69

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2010
Hi, I'm a northern Illinois resident looking to try some long range shooting. My regular rifle range maxes out at 600 yards and I'd like to attempt something farther, perhaps up to 1 mile. I don't mind a bit of a drive as I wouldn't mind staying a couple days or even attending a class. I'm looking in about a 8 hour drive max if possible. I've looked thru the list of ranges and only spotted Thunder Valley in Ohio. I've sent them a couple emails but have not received a reply as yet. Any tips would be greatly appreciated !

Last edited:
Thunder Valley is cool but FYI, there is no place real close to stay. You are probably looking at 1hr drive to find a hotel.

Thanks for the link. I'll try and contact them to see if I can make arrangements since its a club. I have some free time in September and have a flexible schedule.

Also thanks for the above tip on Thunder Valley lodging. Still have not received a reply from them so it may be a moot point.

MTC in Lake a City Michigan. They have 1025 yards and run a long range class there that I took. Probably about 7-8 hours. Decent variety of hotels.

We drove from central Wisconsin to Thunder Valley for a few years in a row, you can get some very nice hotels in Coshocton, OH --- this is 20 min. from the range

Cheers

Thanks for the link. I'll try and contact them to see if I can make arrangements since its a club. I have some free time in September and have a flexible schedule.

Also thanks for the above tip on Thunder Valley lodging. Still have not received a reply from them so it may be a moot point.

I should have added there is a lot of good places to stay and some pretty good places to eat in Camdenton. The member fee is 275 a year and it is a fantastic range with some great people running it.

I should have added there is a lot of good places to stay and some pretty good places to eat in Camdenton. The member fee is 275 a year and it is a fantastic range with some great people running it.

I appreciate the info. Joining would be out of the question for 1-2 visits per season. I'll have to contact them to see if they would accommodate my situation.

We drove from central Wisconsin to Thunder Valley for a few years in a row, you can get some very nice hotels in Coshocton, OH --- this is 20 min. from the range

Cheers

Good info, hopefully I'll hear back from them.