• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help a new guy out on Rings/Mounts

DocSmiley

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2017
Good Evening all,

I recently just put together my first rifle dead set on learning the ropes and eventually getting better and better. I am working with a Deviant Tactical action with a 20 MOA integral base, Benchmark 20" 1:10 twist Mtu profile 308 barrel and a Timney 517 trigger at 2.5 pounds. I am also running a Manners T2A stock that has still yet to come. This is my take on an improved M40 so to say. However I am stuck on the rings.

I am running a Razor HD Gen 2 3-18 MRD scope on this rifle but I can't decide to go with rings or a unimount like a Spuhr ISMS. I already know I need to be at least 1.05" from the rail for my scope caps to clear the barrel.

What do you guys suggest? Go with the Spuhr? It doesn't leave a lot of clearance for my scope level.

Rings? I think of this as my doomsday rifle of sorts(lol) and I want the strongest mating of the rail and scope possible.

What are your thoughts? Thank you for your time.

For a bolt gun I like rings and you already have a base. I like Seekins rings which also make the vortex rings ( I think, or at least they look like them). Badger makes good rings and I have used NF rings too. My first pic is always seekins, good luck.

For a bolt gun I like rings and you already have a base. I like Seekins rings which also make the vortex rings ( I think, or at least they look like them). Badger makes good rings and I have used NF rings too. My first pic is always seekins, good luck.

Thank you for your input. I have been eyeing the Seekins rings as well. They look pretty bombproof.

Rings make more sense on a bolt

I use NF Ultralights...They are truly no fuss no muss

You'll have lots of opinions but Seekins, NF, ARC, etc are all top notch. Really comes down to your personal preference

There is no discernible value of one over the other unless you are looking to change the optics from one rifle to another. That's where the one piece unit will stand out. Quality rings, torqued down to a good base are solid as solid gets. Since you already have the base as mentioned, get a good set of rings and off you go.

Rings make more sense on a bolt

I use NF Ultralights...They are truly no fuss no muss

You'll have lots of opinions but Seekins, NF, ARC, etc are all top notch. Really comes down to your personal preference

Thank you. Seems like rings are good to go.

There is no discernible value of one over the other unless you are looking to change the optics from one rifle to another. That's where the one piece unit will stand out. Quality rings, torqued down to a good base are solid as solid gets. Since you already have the base as mentioned, get a good set of rings and off you go.

I see. This will definitely not get moved around.

My go to rings are Nightforce Ultra Lites. Very nice rings .

Seems like the consensus is pointing towards rings. I appreciate all the input for sure.

Best of both worlds: go with Spuhr rings. They are incredibly strong, same as the one piece mount, and they have a built in bubble in the back ring. No need to add a secondary bubble level.

I run them them on my A.I AT. They are hell bent for durable, but they aren't inexpensive. Nothing Spuhr is though.

You could likely get the the same results with Seekins or Badger, but I'm no expert on them. I remember Spuhr exclusively. One piece on my gasser, rings on my bolt.

I see. Yeah the Spuhrs are a bit pricey but I learned a while back when I was deep into the AR and pistol game that "buy once, cry once" lesson hard.

OP, since you seem to have a solution, do you mind if I piggy back here a bit?..

in this case rings seem to be the way to go. in which case would a one-piece mount be a better solution? (I know better than to ask about QD)...

OP, since you seem to have a solution, do you mind if I piggy back here a bit?..

in this case rings seem to be the way to go. in which case would a one-piece mount be a better solution? (I know better than to ask about QD)...

To answer your question: I tend to like a one piece mount on my gas gun. I'm running the Sphur mount there. I also like a one piece if I'm going to change the scope/mount to different rifles. For example, having one really nice scope for multiple rifles. This way you can torque your mount to the exact same every time, and you never touch the glass or rings to change things around.

I have used one piece mounts for my gas guns for as long as I can remember. I went with the Vortex Pmr's and I think it's a better fit for what I'm doing right now. If I have a flat top rail I will definitely go one piece mount again.

To answer your question: I tend to like a one piece mount on my gas gun. I'm running the Sphur mount there. I also like a one piece if I'm going to change the scope/mount to different rifles. For example, having one really nice scope for multiple rifles. This way you can torque your mount to the exact same every time, and you never touch the glass or rings to change things around.

thank you. yes, I'm thinking of an AR. I've got a lightweight 16" 5.56 with a SS1-6 mounted in a Bobro single lever mount and backup iron sights. it's been pretty accurate out to about 400yds using 77gr SMK but I want to stretch that a little. I'm looking of a solution for a .308 gas gun.

I currently have a 2.5-15 in a Burris PEPR mount but not happy with that. I considered individual rings but still like the idea of a 1-piece mount on a 308 with aluminum receiver. I worry about flex. is that being unrealistic?..

I have used one piece mounts for my gas guns for as long as I can remember. I went with the Vortex Pmr's and I think it's a better fit for what I'm doing right now. If I have a flat top rail I will definitely go one piece mount again.

thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking for a solution for a 308 gas gun. I'm not going to be moving the scope around to different guns but I do have folding back-up sights. the mount doesn't have to be QD but I do lean toward a 1-piece mount.

any suggestions?..

thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking for a solution for a 308 gas gun. I'm not going to be moving the scope around to different guns but I do have folding back-up sights. the mount doesn't have to be QD but I do lean toward a 1-piece mount.

any suggestions?..

Look up the AR height Spuhr mount. No need for a level and it would accommodate your micro red dot as well as other accessories. My only 308 gas gun was my Scar before I sold it and I ran a variable scope plus an offset RMR and it worked perfectly.

If that's too much, look up the Geissele, LaRue, or BoBros. Those mounts are cheaper but are 100 percent bulletproof. Just make sure your scope height is dead on as a flat top rail is unforgiving.

Look up the AR height Spuhr mount. No need for a level and it would accommodate your micro red dot as well as other accessories. My only 308 gas gun was my Scar before I sold it and I ran a variable scope plus an offset RMR and it worked perfectly.

If that's too much, look up the Geissele, LaRue, or BoBros. Those mounts are cheaper but are 100 percent bulletproof. Just make sure your scope height is dead on as a flat top rail is unforgiving.

yeah, those are nice but I don't really have that much money for this. I have a Bobro single-lever with a SS1-6 in it. I don't know if it would handle the weight of the 2.5-15x50 scope on a .308 but if I was confident it would work I'd swap that out and look at something lighter for the 1-6 on the 5.56.

any feedback on Warne GEN2 XSKEL 1-piece mount for AR?..

For a gasser, look at an Aadmount. Would be my first choice.