• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help a newbie pick an optic

vikingshelmut

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I apologize if there are other threads I should be referencing on how to pick a scope for my new 700p. I'm new to the precision rifle scene (having only shot 100 yards or less) and could use some help. In my area there aren't many ranges beyond 200 yards, but most of my shooting will be 100, 200, and occasionally beyond 200 when I travel away from home. I'm looking for a scope that can handle multiple distances, but I don't need something out beyond 4-500 yards. I'm willing to spend some coin on something of high quality, but don't need a $2k scope. Is there anything you'd recommend in terms of a variable or fixed scope? I can probably go up to around $1300 or so, so your opinions will be well received.

Re: Help a newbie pick an optic

I would recommend the Leupold Mark 4 in anything up to 4.5-14, or the Nightforce NXS up to 3.5-15.

A lightly used NF 3-15 50mm would be a my choice in your price range. Just make sure you go mil on mil or moa on moa.

*If your budget allows, Sportoptics has a special on a Night Force 3-15 56mm with the moar reticle.

I love my Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP, I think it's a great scope for the price. It's kind of up to you one what features you want since it's only up to 2 hundred yards. I would go for something with clear glass and accurate reticles. Not sure what magnification you want but whatever feels comfortable for you. The more zoom you have the it's easier for you to see small targets. You won't need to worry to much about adjustments since you can easily hold over at that range.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Vortex Viper 4-16x50 FFP includes a zero stop feature right? At least that's what I'm seeing on their website (they call it "Customized Rotation Stop").

I would suggest a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50 FFP MD for around $1300. I just put a 3-12x44 FFP MD on my AR that's going to Thunder Ranch for 10yrds to 700yrds. The 3-12 will run about $900 and be plenty of power for the distances you mentioned above. PM me if you need more info on them.

The other posters have given good advice. Since you are not going beyond 500 yards any of the scopes mentioned will work fine. I still encourage buying used on a top end scope. It is far cheaper to buy once and know that you have and can enjoy good equipment.

I run a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T on my 700p. It's 8.5 X 25 X 50,It has 90 MOA Elavation and 80 MOA Windage. I wanted to buy one scope only, and scope covers all ranges for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would suggest a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50 FFP MD for around $1300. </div></div>

2nd That!!

We shoot at steel targets at the Sacramento Valley shoting center. Targets are from 200 to 500 meters. I had Premiers (both sizes) and they were over powered and heavy for any target at 600 yards or less. I sold them and bought U.S. Optics ST10 and ST10s scopes. Very clear, they have all the power you would ever need. New ST10 scopes are available on this web sight at a great savings quite often. You would never ever need another scope for the distances you are talking about. Jesse

Rule of thumb atleast 1x power per 100m. your going with a rem 700 I'd like 10power so I had enough scope for 800m+ since that's what the rifle can do. Ideally in a leupold mark 4 3.5-10x40mm. I think that's the best combination for your exp and what your trying to do, plus the ability to take you futher. And it's not scope overkill.

Are you going to use standard or metric calculations? I would suggest choosing your reticle and dials to match. IE: mil/mil. If not it's okay to have mil reticle and minute adjustments. You'll just need to convert when nescecarry and have twice as much info on your windage and elevation charts for the different angular measurements.

Thanks for all the replies it's been a lot of help. Since I'm just learning the ropes, it appears that a FFP is what I should get, so I'll probably get the Vortex or the Nightforce. I can afford either, but I have to talk myself into paying more than twice the Vortex.

A follow up question, I'd like to get a good steel picatinny style scope rail, but if possible I don't want it to extend out beyond the receiver. Any brands you can think of that are like that?

I have a Warne 20moa 1 piece on my 700 .308. Never had a problem
I have a BO on my .223 700. Works just like the Warne except less expensive.
Both were bought used from Hiders.

Either a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 or Mark 4 3.5-10x40. VX-3 and Mark 4 share the same glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kennypowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sportoptics has 3.5-15x56 for $200 off. This makes the HS, no ZS, MOA $1400. That'd be my choice.

http://www.sportoptics.com/nightforce-nxs-rifle-scopes-npr1.aspx </div></div>

I've been looking at the one with zero stop. What do you mean when you said "HS"?

BTW I read via another thread that the 56mm Nightforce scopes are being discontinued. Anybody know why? Any reason that should concern me?

So is the Nightforce an FFP or SFP scope? I thought it was FFP but now that I look at it's specs I don't see it called out as FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onoko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP, I think it's a great scope for the price. It's kind of up to you one what features you want since it's only up to 2 hundred yards. I would go for something with clear glass and accurate reticles. Not sure what magnification you want but whatever feels comfortable for you. The more zoom you have the it's easier for you to see small targets. You won't need to worry to much about adjustments since you can easily hold over at that range. </div></div>

Agreed. Plus if something does ever go wrong? Vortex has the best No BS warranty in the business! I bought a PST 6-24 off a fellow Hider and it broke in shipment. Turned around and sent it to Vortex and they had a brand new one on my doorstep in 7 days.

Any feedback about an IOR 3.5-18x50 or 4-14x50? They seem to be in the $1500 - $1800 dollar range (new) with FFP, illumination etc, and I've seen some posted on the exchange for ~$1200. Seems like it's in the same price range as the NF NSX but it's FFP instead of SFP.