• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes HELP! Am I on track to LR shots?

DEATHONCALL

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2012
Ladson, South Carolina
I currently have a BDC rifle scope but would like to get into the correct way of adjusting for a shot. I think I got most of it.

I plan on getting a SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope for my .308. Am I on the right track from start to finish on elevation adjustment?

Find my distance to target with the formula for MOA. H"x100/MOA=X Say x is 500. 5 x 1.047 = 5.235". Then I take that number and multiply it by the inches of drop according to the ballistics on the round Im using. So now that I got a total of say 14.434 how do I put that into my elevation turret? The number of 1/4MOA "clicks" it takes to reach 14.434? 14.5 x 4? 58 clicks (1/4MOA) on the turret? Or does the value of each click increase with each 100yds? In this case @ 500yd each "click" would be 1.25" of adjustment?

After reading the FAQ's all day, that is the only part I got lost on.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Re: HELP! Am I on track to LR shots?

Mil-Dot Range Estimation

Reticle Ranging Formulas

Hopefully these help a little on ranging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillPrudden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello -

I know this is the internet and everything, and so the rules of normal social conduct are frequently moot, but the disparity between your user name and that question could not be greater.

And in all caps too...

Bill</div></div>

Might be TACP/JTAC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillPrudden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello -

I know this is the internet and everything, and so the rules of normal social conduct are frequently moot, but the disparity between your user name and that question could not be greater.

And in all caps too...

Bill </div></div>

Well I guess you would have a good reward coming your way if there was any info leading to the arrest of a serial killing sniper call sign <span style="font-size: 14pt">DEATHONCALL</span>
grin.gif
I think someone of that nature would be more discrete and less social.

6206200.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CASDB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mil-Dot Range Estimation

Reticle Ranging Formulas

Hopefully these help a little on ranging.

And in all caps too...

Bill</div></div>

Might be TACP/JTAC. </div></div>

Thanks man. That was straight to the point with out the jibberish. But Im not sure how to dial it in to the scope. Example... How do you use your ballistics coeffecient that is on my ammo box? Once you have the equation to the range formula, how do you put it all into the scope? Was I correct in my first post?

I was in NC recently with some ol military buddies but they used a calculator on their smart phone. I dont have a smart phone and Im old school. However, we made some sucessfull shots out to 650yd with his 300 winmag. I have 120 acres in GA I hunt on and I would like to challenge myself to shoot longer range sucessfully on a deer. My best is 190yd cuz I dont know how to dial anything in.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHONCALL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently have a BDC rifle scope but would like to get into the correct way of adjusting for a shot. I think I got most of it.

I plan on getting a SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope for my .308. Am I on the right track from start to finish on elevation adjustment?

Find my distance to target with the formula for MOA. H"x100/MOA=X Say x is 500. 5 x 1.047 = 5.235". Then I take that number and multiply it by the inches of drop according to the ballistics on the round Im using. So now that I got a total of say 14.434 how do I put that into my elevation turret? The number of 1/4MOA "clicks" it takes to reach 14.434? 14.5 x 4? 58 clicks (1/4MOA) on the turret? Or does the value of each click increase with each 100yds? In this case @ 500yd each "click" would be 1.25" of adjustment?

After reading the FAQ's all day, that is the only part I got lost on.

Help is greatly appreciated!
</div></div>

You've already calculated your drop in MOA to match your turrets, you don't need any more conversions. Just do the number of clicks needed to reach 14.5 MOA, which is 58 with a 1/4 MOA per click turret.

So the value for each click doesnt increase as distance increases?

Once we get that question answered I think Im on my way to sucess in reaching my goal. Well, once my vortex scope gets off backorder.

1/4 Moa is always 1/4 Moa anywhere
1/10 mil is 1/10 mil anywhere

If you we're to measure either of those linearly, their values would change and get increasing larger with distance.

Eg. An object 3.6" placed at 100 yards would be a mil... However, once you move it, it no longer represents a mil at any other distance. Likewise their can be 1 mil targets at 200, 300, 400 etc... Yards. It's still a mil, just no longer measured as 3.6".

Same for adjustments, they represent the same angle no matter the distance, however that adjust won't represent the same linear measure at those different distances.

So, if you are measuring your compensation in Moa/mil, there are no calculations or changes.

The angles never change-
Hope that helps-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHONCALL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the value for each click doesnt increase as distance increases?

Once we get that question answered I think Im on my way to sucess in reaching my goal. Well, once my vortex scope gets off backorder. </div></div>

You keep confusing linear measurements with angular measurements. Yes, 1/4 <span style="font-weight: bold">INCHES</span> at 100 yard equates to 1.25 inches at 500 yards. However, MOA and Mil is angular. It does not change at varying distances. 1 Mil or MOA will ALWAYS be 1 Mil or 1 MOA regardless of the distance. This is why they try to teach shooters to think in MOA and Mil instead of inches, feet and yards or in the case of metric, cm, meters and km. You'll only get more confused.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHONCALL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the value for each click doesnt increase as distance increases?

Once we get that question answered I think Im on my way to sucess in reaching my goal. Well, once my vortex scope gets off backorder. </div></div>

The click value, whether MOA or Mils, is relative to the angle. So 1 click on your scope = 1/4@100, 1/2@200 etc.
If you are not stuck on a system yet, you may want to think about going mil over moa. Mils are pretty simple when you consider that 1 radian is equal to the distance you are shooting. 1 milradian = distance divided by 1000. Just keep the units the same in all parts of your calculations and it doesn't matter whether it is inches, meters, miles, or furlongs.

#1, i would not get the 20x SS, every review will tell you the 12x or 16x is way better to look threw...

#2, get the mil/mil, NOT the mil/moa SS.. just DONT....

#3 use this to figure out your ballistic info..

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmcard-5.1.cgi
if you own a android/iphone or ipod touch, get a ballistic app

#4 STOP THINKING IN CLICKS!!!!.... only moa or mil
if your drop is 5.3mill, dial 5.3 on the turret, NOT 53 clicks....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#1, i would not get the 20x SS, every review will tell you the 12x or 16x is way better to look threw...

</div></div>

Thanks for the chart calculator!

Im getting the Vortex PST 6-24 in MOA actually. I already read about the 20x42 and I couldnt resist over $150 off on the vortex so I went with that. I dont own one of those phones but sounds like I should.

I apologize about the "clicks" and using inches. I know thats taboo. Im not even sure why I was typing that. I think it was from reading the FAQ section.

I think I got it. So according to the Standard Hornady ballistics chart @ 500yd with .308 168gr AMAX the trajectory table says -48.9. So I should dial in 48.9MOA of elevation and one turn of my 1/4MOA turret would be... 1/4MOA or is it 1.25MOA # 500yd? According to a few post earlier it would be 1.25MOA.

-48.9 is in inches. That is the drop for that particular distance.

You have a scope that adjusts in 1/4 MOA per click.

1-click on you scope adjusts the bullet impact 1/4"@100yds, 1/2"@200yds, 3/4"@300yds, 1"@400yds, 1.25"@500yds.

48.9" divided by the value of 1 click at the range you are shooting (500yds-1.25") translates to 39.12 clicks.

Hope that clears it up a bit for you. If not PM me and I will explain it in different terms

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHONCALL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#1, i would not get the 20x SS, every review will tell you the 12x or 16x is way better to look threw...

</div></div>

Im getting the Vortex PST 6-24 in MOA actually. I already read about the 20x42 and I couldnt resist over $150 off on the vortex so I went with that. I dont own one of those phones but sounds like I should.

I apologize about the "clicks" and using inches. I know thats taboo. Im not even sure why I was typing that. I think it was from reading the FAQ section.

I think I got it. So according to the Standard Hornady ballistics chart @ 500yd with .308 168gr AMAX the trajectory table says -48.9. So I should dial in 48.9MOA of elevation and one turn of my 1/4MOA turret would be... 1/4MOA or is it 1.25MOA # 500yd? According to a few post earlier it would be 1.25MOA.

</div></div>

One turn of your turret will be equivalent to how many adjustment you have before returning to the same number on a full rotation.

Ie. if you have 1/4 Moa adjustments, those are the finest printed increments on your turrets in which an adjustment could be made. if your turret has the numbers 0-12 in a circle, on the elevation turret (the one on top) around every number will be broken into 4 increments (which will be represented by hash marks in between the number 0-12).... 1/4moa . Therefore a turn to every full number (or any 4 hash marks will represent 1moa) in this example one full rotation from any number back to itself will be equivalent to 12moa.

Here is what your turret will look like on the PST your looking at
db21a3daa109a8cbb08eab3139dd35fb.jpg

See the orange line on top? That will be where you set your zero, it is inline with the actual number zero below it. That is centered in recessed area that has a white line below it. That is where you will start .

The turret on top says each click = 1/4 Moa. Those are the lines in between the numbers (1,2,3,4 etc..) on the turret and represent the value of you adjustment. It was wisely suggested to you above not to think in terms of click. The reason is that it's just one more thing to count/convert/slow you down.

Same issue with your question about bullet drop. You should try to obtain the drop information in MOA not inches or CM. if the information is in inches you have to convert it to Moa at its appropriate distance...( X inches at x yards)

Eg. You have a bullet drop of 18.5moa

You would just count from the number 0 to 18 and stop half way to the next number for the .5
(assuming you have 12 on each rotation) You would make one complete rotation (12 Moa accounted for) and continue to turn to 6.5 to add the additional 6.5 Moa.
When you are doing this you don't actually stop after the full rotation it was just to explain how to adjust for that amount. In practice you would simply count to 18.5 using the numbers as a guide and would start counting your second rotation as numbers 13,14,15 etc even though they are still listed 0-12.

If you attempted to count this in clicks it would be 74 ( waste of time counting)
-imagine having four 1dozen egg containers in front of you. If you needed 26 eggs you wouldn't count them all individually... You would grab the first two dozen and remove 2 eggs from the next container. It's just unnecessary to count individually when thing are grouped together.

Try to obtain all information in the same language. Object size and bullet drop and correction calculations in Moa.

You are completely over thinking this,
It will make more sense when you go out with your scope
Good luck-

Those last two comments were really informative and with the turret photo, I got the idea. This info will be very helpful going from a Nikon BDC to the vortex and deer season next year.

Thanks again. I apologize for the confusion but Im kinda a picture guy with a poor imagination. And you're right. I needed to retain the vocabulary before I started thinking about any of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHONCALL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#1, i would not get the 20x SS, every review will tell you the 12x or 16x is way better to look threw...

</div></div>

</div></div>

One turn of your turret will be equivalent to how many adjustment you have before returning to the same number on a full rotation.

Ie. if you have 1/4 Moa adjustments, those are the finest printed increments on your turrets in which an adjustment could be made. if your turret has the numbers 0-12 in a circle, on the elevation turret (the one on top) around every number will be broken into 4 increments (which will be represented by hash marks in between the number 0-12).... 1/4moa . Therefore a turn to every full number (or any 4 hash marks will represent 1moa) in this example one full rotation from any number back to itself will be equivalent to 12moa.

See the orange line on top? That will be where you set your zero, it is inline with the actual number zero below it. That is centered in recessed area that has a white line below it. That is where you will start .

The turret on top says each click = 1/4 Moa. Those are the lines in between the numbers (1,2,3,4 etc..) on the turret and represent the value of you adjustment. It was wisely suggested to you above not to think in terms of click. The reason is that it's just one more thing to count/convert/slow you down.

Same issue with your question about bullet drop. You should try to obtain the drop information in MOA not inches or CM. if the information is in inches you have to convert it to Moa at its appropriate distance...( X inches at x yards)

You would just count from the number 0 to 18 and stop half way to the next number for the .5
(assuming you have 12 on each rotation) You would make one complete rotation (12 Moa accounted for) and continue to turn to 6.5 to add the additional 6.5 Moa.
When you are doing this you don't actually stop after the full rotation it was just to explain how to adjust for that amount. In practice you would simply count to 18.5 using the numbers as a guide and would start counting your second rotation as numbers 13,14,15 etc even though they are still listed 0-12.

If you attempted to count this in clicks it would be 74 ( waste of time counting)
-imagine having four 1dozen egg containers in front of you. If you needed 26 eggs you wouldn't count them all individually... You would grab the first two dozen and remove 2 eggs from the next container. It's just unnecessary to count individually when thing are grouped together.

Try to obtain all information in the same language. Object size and bullet drop and correction calculations in Moa.

Good luck-
</div></div>

Thanks a ton for clearing that up. I understood all of MOA and turret stuff before but that info drove it home. I just didnt know how to phrase the question with out using clicks. So here it is so I can make sure I have the correct info. Like Derrekmorehead had said, for each 100yd each hash mark on the turret increases by 1/4MOA. Where at 500yd each turn of the turret would increase my eleveation by 1.25MOA instead of .25MOA as it would at 100yd?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHONCALL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHONCALL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#1, i would not get the 20x SS, every review will tell you the 12x or 16x is way better to look threw...

</div></div>

</div></div>

Good luck-
</div></div>

Thanks a ton for clearing that up. I understood all of MOA and turret stuff before but that info drove it home. I just didnt know how to phrase the question with out using clicks. So here it is so I can make sure I have the correct info. Like Derrekmorehead had said, for each 100yd each hash mark on the turret increases by 1/4MOA. Where at 500yd each turn of the turret would increase my eleveation by 1.25MOA instead of .25MOA as it would at 100yd? </div></div>

No, MOA and Mils are angular not linear This is what is not sinking in with you.

MOA is an angle, here is an angle <, see how it is small on one end and gets larger as the more distance it covers?

same with 1 MOA. One MOA just happens to spread 1.05" at 100 yards. 1 MOA at 200 yards is spread out to 2.1", @ 300 yards one MOA is 3.15"

The adjustment on your scope will be a 1/4 MOA adjustment no matter what distance you are shooting at.

My advice to you as you move forward...
I apologize ahead for my lengthy writing in effort to clear this up-

Stop trying to associate Mil and MOA with linear measurements. Try to not only understand what they are (as angular measures) but what their actual value means. You may have to at some point translate a given value into metric or otherwise but attempting to learn them by converting to what you're comfortable with will only handicap your grasp of it and slow you down in the long run.

I would try to think of it like this:

A Mil is a Mil... It just happens that if you measured its value at 100 yards it would be 3.6" (in any direction) or 10 cm at 100 m. It's value in size is 1/1,000 (one thousandth) the distance it extends to. The farther the distance from the beginning of the angle the larger the value.

MOA is MOA... It just happens that if you measured its value at 100 yards it would be 1.047" (in any direction) or 2.908 cm at 100 m.

Although the linear measurements of angles will change in size, the shape of the angle remains the same at any distance-

Think of the shape of these angles like a slice of pizza, and the linear measurements are associated with where the crust would be. The problem is, that like a slice of pizza the crust is rounded. Remember, mil and moa begin with begin with the shape of a circle, we are NOT measuring triangles.

This is one of the issues-

When you hear something is 1 mm do you have to think of it as .0393"
When you hear something's quantity is a gallon do you reference how many fluid ounces, cups, or milliliters it is to understand its volume? Or, do you assume it's weights is 8 pounds athough that's only it's weight with water? A gallon is a fluid measure and is gallon regardless of its weight. Different liquids will cause a gallon to vary in weight. (Yes, it's part of the same system as pints quarts etc... But you should be able to visualize a gallon without thinking of it as 16 cups)
* Same idea with mil/MOA, they are both angular measurements. Their (unit) angle remains the same at any distance (1moa is always 1moa, 1mil is always 1mil). Just as what you put in a gallon (remains a gallon) but changes weight (lbs
or kg) the distance that that you extend Mil/MOA (remains a Mil/MOA) but changes its arc length and how we would translate that in linear size (as inches or centimeters).

Try to spend some time with either Mil or Moa as a new way of looking at things, like learning a new language. Grab a scope and start identifying and associating random objects with their value in either system. It will kick in with practice and you will start thinking in those terms.

I apologize again for the lengthy example and some of the rambling. I hope part of it can be extracted for some use.
I'm sure once you get behind the scope your looking at everything will fall into place and be very clear. It's difficult to grasp some of this without putting it to practice

Hey brother, I am in SC as well. I am gonna message you my phone number, I am not the comp tactical guy, I am a hunter who likes to kill chit, lots of chit and at range but I gotcha ya covered. Give me a call and we will sort it out for ya.

I understand MOA.
All Im looking for is how to adjust my elevation on my scope for a 500yd shot example where I need to come up 49.8".
Once again. If I need to come up 49.8" how do I put that into my Vortex scope that has adjustments of 1/4MOA@100yd? Im pretty sure I can grasp all of it by seeing how everything is applied.
From what I read here I would have to turn my turret roughly 46MOA??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHONCALL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand MOA.
All Im looking for is how to adjust my elevation on my scope for a 500yd shot example where I need to come up 49.8".
Once again. If I need to come up 49.8" how do I put that into my Vortex scope that has adjustments of 1/4MOA@100yd? Im pretty sure I can grasp all of it by seeing how everything is applied.
From what I read here I would have to turn my turret roughly 46MOA?? </div></div>

No........

That would be adjusting for 49" at 100 yards...
1 Moa = 1.047" at 100 yards
1 moa = 5.235" at 500 yards... 9.5 Moa would be your adjustment

The calculation and math has nothing to do with the fact that your adjustments are 1/4 Moa, it would be the same if they were 1/8

If you determined you drop in Moa instead of inches you would not have to do this math. Ballistic programs can give you that info.

Lose the inches-

will you be handloading or buying ammo for this gun?
if factory, do you know what ammo you will use?

do you own a crono?..

if not, do you know someone who does?

do you have a range you can shoot 500 or 600y?

also, for ballistic info, sign in here
http://ballistics.gseven.com/
it will save your loads and you can print charts...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and....

31324368.jpg

smile.gif
</div></div>

Does Moa look like an inch?
Then why you have to treat him like an inch?
2637686eb5f7fcb52f0e8cb90f1e39e3.jpg

I respectfully disagree that our are grasping this first part...

Adding 46 moa at 500 yards would be 241.5" and probably be more elevation than you have left in your scope.

Drop of 49.8" at 500 yards
1moa at 500 yards = 5.235"

49.9"%5.235"= 9.5128939828080229"

Turret options and their corrections

1moa = 10moa
1/2moa = 9.5moa
1/4moa = 9.5moa
1/8moa = 9.5moa

No matter the size of the adjustments, 1moa is still the same, you convert inches to ma based upon how fine you can split 1moa with your turret

Pay no mind to the rounded number here, but hopefully you get the idea-
72ca6b10a6f4527449a9a060142dbb1a.jpg

The only time the finess of your adjustments changes a correction is when the decible is in between you finest adjust such as .125 and the coarseness of your adjust may force you to round up or down. It's still not significant and doesn't play a role in determining your adjustment.

Try to take one thing at a time, I would suggest you hear out some of the suggestions that have been made and take a look through the sticky again. I don't understand why you are so persistent to measure in inches before getting the basic down.

I wish you good luck with it. Again, I think if you head out even to your yard with a scope and mess around much of it should become clear. Place your gun in a rest and start dialing through your scope at a target that has measured spaces and watch what those adjustments mean in person.

Hope this helps-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHONCALL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand MOA.
From what I read here I would have to turn my turret roughly 46MOA?? </div></div>

No........

That would be adjusting for 49" at 100 yards...
1 Moa = 1.047" at 100 yards
1 moa = 5.235" at 500 yards... 9.5 Moa would be your adjustment

The calculation and math has nothing to do with the fact that your adjustments are 1/4 Moa, it would be the same if they were 1/8

If you determined you drop in Moa instead of inches you would not have to do this math. Ballistic programs can give you that info.

Lose the inches-
</div></div>

Ok, so I gotcha. I just worded my question wrong but in my own messed up head I was on track. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and....

31324368.jpg

smile.gif
</div></div>

Does Moa look like an inch?
Then why you have to treat him like an inch?
2637686eb5f7fcb52f0e8cb90f1e39e3.jpg

I respectfully disagree that our are grasping this first part...

Adding 46 moa at 500 yards would be 241.5" and probably be more elevation than you have left in your scope.

Drop of 49.8" at 500 yards
1moa at 500 yards = 5.235"

49.9"%5.235"= 9.5128939828080229"

Turret options and their corrections

1moa = 10moa
1/2moa = 9.5moa
1/4moa = 9.5moa
1/8moa = 9.5moa

No matter the size of the adjustments, 1moa is still the same, you convert inches to ma based upon how fine you can split 1moa with your turret

Pay no mind to the rounded number here, but hopefully you get the idea-
72ca6b10a6f4527449a9a060142dbb1a.jpg

The only time the finess of your adjustments changes a correction is when the decible is in between you finest adjust such as .125 and the coarseness of your adjust may force you to round up or down. It's still not significant and doesn't play a role in determining your adjustment.

Try to take one thing at a time, I would suggest you hear out some of the suggestions that have been made and take a look through the sticky again. I don't understand why you are so persistent to measure in inches before getting the basic down.

I wish you good luck with it. Again, I think if you head out even to your yard with a scope and mess around much of it should become clear. Place your gun in a rest and start dialing through your scope at a target that has measured spaces and watch what those adjustments mean in person.

Hope this helps-
</div></div>

Gotcha! You guys explanation is what I was trying to say. Thanks for the confirmation!