• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help: Build me a Suppressed Pistol

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Wanting one mainly for fun, plinking, shooting varmints on the farm, and 'Merica reasons

From reading here, it seems short barrels are finicky! I am uninterested in LR accuracy. I want to be as short as possible, add my can (it's a .30), and shoot subsonic ammo.

.223 or .300BO?

I think I'll need an aftermarket adjustable gas tube, but is there a gun/upper to buy already set up for what I'm asking, or do I need to piece together some Frankenstein build?

One-stop-shop?
    Piecemeal?

Thanks

I built a 10" .300blk upper for a pistol and it's a blast to shoot suppressed.

I did put an SLR adjustable gas block on it. but it didn't need any tuning from the factory setting (whatever that is)

I'd build one, just cuz it's fun. I used mostly Ballistic Advantage parts with good success

Reactions: earthquake
    If you want to run subsonic then you're talking about .300BO and there are many factory options, AAC, Rock River, Springfield, Spikes, etc. An adjustable gas block is nice but may not be necessary with a pistol length system shooting subs. If you want the option of running standard ammo also the AGB would probably be necessary.

heresee

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
      IMG_0210.jpg
      383.3 KB · Views: 39
    I built a 300blk pistol for night hunting suppressed. Used a mega barrel in a spikes upper with a spikes bcg and a superlative adjustable gas block. Built on an 80% lower with a maxim defense brace. Gun shoots good, about .75 moa with factory Hornady 125gr ammo. I did have to slow the gas some down to get a good ejection pattern and clean up the brass. It runs pretty clean suppressed now. Also using a POF single stage drop in trigger, not bad for the money.
    I don't remember what I spent on it but I came out less than a grand on the whole thing and I used some pricey parts.

Attachments

• 50925.jpeg
      50925.jpeg
      351 KB · Views: 28
    • 50926.jpeg
      50926.jpeg
      676.9 KB · Views: 30
    So .223 subs are a no-go?
    Figured going the .223 route just because ammo is cheap/easy to find.

Thanks for all the insights so far!

I ended up building 2 pistols... a 223 and 300blk. 223 for cheap plinking, and the 300 blk for the subs.

One thing to be mindful of is you can't buy a complete rifle and then change the upper/barrel to a shorter one and throw a brace on it and call it a pistol. That firearm was registered as a rifle. So just make sure you either start from a lower that was purchased as a stripped lower, or buy the lower/firearm as a pistol.

I'd say build it, like other posters have said, it's fun and you get exactly what you want.
    If you decide to not build and to buy, the springfield saint pistols are priced pretty well, the few reviews I've seen online were very positive.

Here is a review I did on my buddy’s PSA 8.5” 300blk... if you’re going suppressed then you’re most likely going to want 300blk.... if not suppressed then I would personally get a 7.62x39 for how cheap you can get the ammo. My .223 pistol AR pistol is crazy accurate with tuned reloads compared to the 300blk and 7.62x39 . I’ve shot all 3 of the above and they all have their specific purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlt_akE9nco&t=

Last edited:
    I've decided on .300BO. So, 7.5" or 10.5" better for suppressed play?
    Was reading a SBR post here about "dwell time", or is that only related to .223/5.56?

I've decided on .300BO. So, 7.5" or 10.5" better for suppressed play?
    Was reading a SBR post here about "dwell time", or is that only related to .223/5.56?

9" I think is kinda the sweet spot for 300blk as far as performance vs size/length. After 9" you're not gaining much velocity per inch in the barrel. I had a 10.5" switched to 8.5" and I love it. I would recommend 8-9". An adjustable gas block would be a big plus too, will probably run fine with a standard block but it's probably gonna be really over gassed and throw a ton of gas back in your face when shooting suppressed, AGB you can tone that down a lot.

Reactions: David4570
    I have a 10.5" Rainier Ultramatch 300blk sbr and it's a laser. I built it for face shot accuracy from 100yd and in. Once I saw how accurate it was, I decided to see how far I could shoot it. With my 125 TMK handloads going at 2100fps I can bang steel out to 500yd all day with my Leupold MR/T 1.5-5 CM-R2...one of my favorite guns. I run a Rugged Surge 7.62 in the short K config on mine. I don't run subs

I have a 10.5" Rainier Ultramatch 300blk sbr and it's a laser. I built it for face shot accuracy from 100yd and in. Once I saw how accurate it was, I decided to see how far I could shoot it. With my 125 TMK handloads going at 2100fps I can bang steel out to 500yd all day with my Leupold MR/T 1.5-5 CM-R2...one of my favorite guns. I run a Rugged Surge 7.62 in the short K config on mine. I don't run subs

Nice build!

Curious; who's hand guard?

-Rainman223

Reactions: jeffl838
    Got all my parts in and like it so far, but I f'd up and got one with a slim handguard...my can won't fit inside.
    Who makes a decent/inexpensive keymod handguard with pic rail on top that will accept a 1.5" diameter can?

15" length would be ideal.

I like the aero enhanced handguards. They have 1.78" inside diameter. Shop around, you should be able to get a 15" for $150 or less.