• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help - buy my first AR in 308

POF owners? I have been looking at the local gun shops and they are running $2800 if paying cash. I have one concern are the muzzle breaks permanently attached from the factory?

They are absolutely NOT permanently attached by the factory unless, as Tack stated, they are used on 14.5" barreled guns to permanently fix the muzzle brake to the rifle to bring the OAL of the barrel to greater than 16" and keep it from NFA status as an SBR.

The only other way that they'd be permanently attached would be if your state laws require it because of no threaded barrels, etc., etc. (your profile isn't filled out so I'm not sure if that's applicable or not).

Casob,

I just posted this on the LWRC vs POF thread and think it may lend some insight to my experience with POF rifles....cut and pasted because I type slowly, here goes:

I have a POF 20" P308 and love it. It will out shoot me all day everyday. The rifle will shoot sub MOA easily when I do my part behind the trigger. I started with a stripped lower then built it my way. I then found a complete 20" upper to match up with it. This set up has worked VERY well for me. I too am of the school of thought as others stated "Buy once, cry once" so I stuck with a quality trigger, stock and safety. I wanted a quality rifle with same ergonomics, operating system and feel of the other rifles I have. I really liked the POF style of AR and so now I own 2 other POF rifles also, a P415 and a 6.8II.

With that said, I have had one problem with my P308. It would cycle too fast and spin the spent case 180 degrees in the upper receiver then jamming when the new round was stripped and fed from the magazine. It would happen every 3rd or 4th round no matter the rate of fire. I called POF and followed it up with an email with pictures. That same day I had a prepaid shipping invoice in my hands to send it back to POF. Cody DeSomma called me and said "You spent a lot of money on your rifle, let me make it work the right way for you, we stand behind our products" I had my rifle back in 2 days and haven't had a single problem with it since even with shooting all different types of ammo.

As you can see there are many fans of POF, myself included. You will also see many fans of other manufacturers, sort of Ford, Dodge and Chevy. Everyone likes what they like, and use what works for them. I just wanted to share with you what has worked for me, and my experiences with POF rifles. Lastly, buy a used, not abused rifle in whatever flavor you like. Use the money you saved vs new, and buy ammo and then get training. Just my .02

Stay safe

You can't go wrong with the DPMS SASS.Nothing to buy and add on so in the long run it's cheaper to spend the money up front.For a "Patrol" type rifle you can't bet Sig's 16" version.

I have owned a POF, DPMS SASS, CMMG and LaRue and liked them all for various reasons. They all shot well with hand loads. Once I started building them with hand picked parts everything got better. Stock rifles are great and do the job but no manufacturer has all the best and coolest stuff. When you build your own the sky (and your wallet) is the limit. I have built on Black Rain, JD Machine, DPMS and SI Defense receivers and all where good but i have become a diehard Mega junkie! My latest is by far to me the greatest. I would not trade it for any other rifle even a KAC SR25. The Mega MKM's are truly spectacular. Here's my new baby. All the best stuff. The Vortex PST is the weak point on the build. This thing is dying for minimally a Nightforce and would justify a S&B. :eek:)

image-20_zpsce102344.jpg

image-20_zpsfcded742.jpg

image-20_zpsb0393b4f.jpg

image-20_zps6f3dfd8b.jpg