• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help choosing 300NM Rifle

Help me choose a 300NM Rifle

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
300 Norma Bolt face diameter is the same as most magnum cases, but I believe if you go with 338 lapua you will need a different bolt. I think the 300 Norma sounds exciting but it's also the new kid on the block and every rifle arm magazine loves to talk about new things it sells magazines. Just because the military selected the 300 Norma does not mean it will be that way forever. I reload and 300 Norma brass seems to be hard to find. If lapua started to make it I would be on board. It comes down to this simple question "what's your plans". Shoot holes in paper or kill from a far " hunting".

300 Norma Bolt face diameter is the same as most magnum cases, but I believe if you go with 338 lapua you will need a different bolt. I think the 300 Norma sounds exciting but it's also the new kid on the block and every rifle arm magazine loves to talk about new things it sells magazines. Just because the military selected the 300 Norma does not mean it will be that way forever. I reload and 300 Norma brass seems to be hard to find. If lapua started to make it I would be on board. It comes down to this simple question "what's your plans". Shoot holes in paper or kill from a far " hunting".

Unless I'm mistaken the .300 Norma uses the same bolt as the .338LM and the .338NM

Reactions: Bkultra

As mentioned it does use the lapua bolt face and you can also get 300 norma lapua brass. You can also buy new ammo loaded with Lapua brass from ABM ammo which I think is now made by Berger if I'm not mistaken. I agree that it's a huge step in the right direction having Lapua brass. I'm pretty sure Peterson makes brass for it as well but u have no first hand experience with their brass yet.

Attachments

• received_524082784728797.jpeg
    received_524082784728797.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 138
Ya, the action will have the 338 Lapua Magnum bolt face that is the same as the 300NM.

I am debating getting a 338 Lapua barrel but if the ballistics are not as good as the 300NM, what is the point? Is there anything out there using the 338LM bolt face that is out performing the 300NM? Anything in the 7mm class of bullets?

The best option I've seen for the lapua bolt face and a 7mm is the 7-300 norma wildcat. From what I've read it's about 150 fps faster than the 28 nosler with a 195 Berger. West Texas ordnance has a nice article on their site where they did an improved version of the 7-300.

The best option I've seen for the lapua bolt face and a 7mm is the 7-300 norma wildcat. From what I've read it's about 150 fps faster than the 28 nosler with a 195 Berger. West Texas ordnance has a nice article on their site where they did an improved version of the 7-300.

I'm assuming a triple digit barrel life at best with that?

Reactions: Apnea
I went custom for mine. I had the exact same intended use and couldn't be happier.

Mine is a SAC 300NM
Defiance Alpha 11 Action
Bartlein Barrel - 26" Heavy Palma 1:9 Twist set up for 230 Berger Hybrids
Cadex Chassis
TBAC 338 Ultra
RL33 and Norma Brass @ ~2900 fps
Old pic prior to receiving stamp for suppressor. Now running the Area 419 break and TBAC adapter.

I love this rifle. You cant go wrong with whichever you choose. I went custom so I could have it set up just like I wanted.

View attachment 6928006
Damn that thing is nice. I was inches from going Cadex Lite but really wanted a full top rail.

I'm assuming a triple digit barrel life at best with that?

No first hand experience but it seems like people are getting 7-800 rounds if you don't get it hot. I would like to have one even though it's not very practical lol

As mentioned it does use the lapua bolt face and you can also get 300 norma lapua brass. You can also buy new ammo loaded with Lapua brass from ABM ammo which I think is now made by Berger if I'm not mistaken. I agree that it's a huge step in the right direction having Lapua brass. I'm pretty sure Peterson makes brass for it as well but u have no first hand experience with their brass yet.
When a man is wrong he is wrong and I am very wrong.

Reactions: Barney88PDC
300 NM bolt is same as lapua bolt. And Lapua does make 300NM Brass. I just ordered peterson brass which most people say is as good as lapua and there was plenty in stock. A little while back when only NOrma made the brass I def would have stayed away from it!

When a man is wrong he is wrong and I am very wrong.

It happens to all of us ? I've really been kicking around the idea of a 300 norma barrel with the lapua brass. A buddy has been shooting his at 2k yards and it does quite well.

Midway had one hell of a deal on them, if I would have had the money laying around I would have bought a bunch. Isn't worth reloading at that price.

Midway had one hell of a deal on them, if I would have had the money laying around I would have bought a bunch. Isn't worth reloading at that price.
I got 3 300nm only bought 100 same lot so i can use their brass for re loading.i still got couple 100s of lapua 423 dakota necked down to 300nm..some greedy bastaddd bought all at midway lol

I got 3 300nm only bought 100 same lot so i can use their brass for re loading.i still got couple 100s of lapua 423 dakota necked down to 300nm..some greedy bastaddd bought all at midway lol

I seen on Facebook where the one gunsmith bought a bunch to pull down for the brass lol. He said he planned on selling it with the rifles he built.

Yup that's ryan :)
He got 3800 rounds! Lol

A friend has one of his 28 nosler builds that he just started load development on. It looks like it will be impressive as all the ones you see him post in there.

Great smith..for sure :)

I wish he did desert tech barrels, hes only 4 hours from me. Hell of a smith to have that close, I just need to go back to traditional style rifles lol

My vote is build custom rifle - that way you get the rifle to exactly the way you want.

I went custom route with my .300NM, and absolutely love it:

- Defiance Deviant action, polished rails and DLC'ed
- JAE chassis with paint job from Custom Gun Coatings, NV rail and hopefully a bag rider soon
- Benchmark and Hawkhill MTU contour 1:8 twist barrels (I have two barrels spun up for it, it's a barrel burner)
- Bix 'n Andy Tacsport 2 stage trigger
- Khales K624i scope with AMR reticle
- ARC M10 rings

I couldn't be much happier with it, puts a smile on my face every time i shoot it. The JAE is the most comfortable chassis you will get behind (the AI is a bit hit or miss with how it fits people). I wouldn't change a thing with how this rifle is built.

What two round holder is that and how is it attached to your chassis?

@ratrod54 Very nice rifle! What is your overall length and what bag are using to transport your rifle?

@kthomas same question.

Thanks

I forget the overall length. Originally I wasn’t going to do the folder, but the overall was too long to fit in a pelican case. With the folder, it fits in a pelican 1750 case nicely with the bottom foam cutout for the folded buttstock.

7-300 Norma Mag or an Improved version of it. 195 Berger at 3150+

I just started load development on my 7-300 norma and hit 3100 fps with a 195 with less than 10 rounds on the barrel and using h1000 because I have it on hand. I have been waiting for rl26 to be in stock at the same place as rl33 to save on hazmat. I honestly think 3200 will be no problem with it.