• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help dealing with heavy wind

tuna239

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2021
Texas
Wow. Today I got my Rem 700 out for the first time and geez the wind was bad. Around 20 mph with large gusts every few seconds.. wind calms, start my squeeze and then boom huge gusts blowing me around right when I get aim on. I couldn't keep the rifle straight at all it was moving every which way. Bullets were on, just couldn't keep the gun straight. Any solutions on how to cope with heavy wind not related to bullet trajectory?? I'm thinking of ditching the bipod as I felt that was the most likely issue and just getting a bag to rest the rifle on to see if that helps..

What bipod are you using? What is your rifle setup? I have never had issues with wind and a bipod unless you (your body or your rifle) are shaped like a parachute. We deal with winds greater than yours where I live.

This was during a comp with 30-35 mph winds WITH freezing snow and rain... Hits were being made in targets up to 1400. Fundamentals is key in establishing a stable platform.
PXL_20201108_205848271.jpg

This sounds like a loose tilt adjustment to me. Gotta really tighten that thing down so the gun isnt all loose and wobbly but can move some. On my harris i use a pair of pliers to go about a quarter or half turn past where hand tight is.

Reactions: SigeliteSPR
What bipod are you using? What is your rifle setup? I have never had issues with wind and a bipod unless you (your body or your rifle) are shaped like a parachute. We deal with winds greater than yours where I live.

This was during a comp with 30-35 mph winds WITH freezing snow and rain... Hits were being made in targets up to 1400. Fundamentals is key in establishing a stable platform.
View attachment 7612094
I have a 9-13 on it but I've read lots of people were saying to use a 6-9 for bench and prone shooting and it seems like the bipods you guys have are a lot lower than mine is. Mine is the 1A2-L Model. It really could've been me as I'm not used to shooting in windier conditions but it felt like it was really blowing me around and I haven't experienced that before in slight breezes or such

This sounds like a loose tilt adjustment to me. Gotta really tighten that thing down so the gun isnt all loose and wobbly but can move some. On my harris i use a pair of pliers to go about a quarter or half turn past where hand tight is.
I believe that was happening, when I tried to adjust it to my height I would get it as perpendicular as I could then it would tilt ever so slightly after a shot and go down on the left side, have to retighten it then shoot it goes down again and it was a bit annoying dealing with to the point that I just completely lowered it and left it for the remainder of time.

I shot a class where we had 30-40mph winds for an extended period. Blowing sand and dirt got annoying but staying stable on the rifle wasn’t too much of an issue. I was shooting my Ax prone with a rear bag and good bipod (tbac), and generally kept everything pretty low to the ground.

I have a 9-13 on it but I've read lots of people were saying to use a 6-9 for bench and prone shooting and it seems like the bipods you guys have are a lot lower than mine is. Mine is the 1A2-L Model. It really could've been me as I'm not used to shooting in windier conditions but it felt like it was really blowing me around and I haven't experienced that before in slight breezes or such
How tall are you? Are you having to work to get in the right place to shoot before each shot or does it feel natural. Im only 5'-10" so for me the 6-9 works great for shooting prone. If i had your bipod i would be up on my elbows and if it was windy that may make me a bit unstable too.... if its too tall and your shooting prone, dig a 3" trench to put your feet in

How tall are you? Are you having to work to get in the right place to shoot before each shot or does it feel natural. Im only 5'-10" so for me the 6-9 works great for shooting prone. If i had your bipod i would be up on my elbows and if it was windy that may make me a bit unstable too.... if its too tall and your shooting prone, dig a 3" trench to put your feet in
I am 6'1, the only place it really felt natural is around 1/4 coming up on the bipod legs and locking them down but since I couldnt get it to stay put I decked it to 9". I'm not shooting at higher/lower elevations it's about flat and that's the most comfortable position I had coming off and on it. It might have been just me since it was a new rifle and I was getting used to it going from a .223 to .308 but everytime the wind calmed I could get a perfect steady sight picture until it started up again and the reticle was going left right up down haha. I also pressure through on my squeeze gently enough for it to surprise me when it breaks so that I dont anticipate the recoil I was about to get but I also had to go after a group of newer shooters started shooting at my target I put up when I was trying to zero.. I'm waiting for one of their less busy times to go back and try again but I got it just about on at 100yd.

Having shot a fair bit of positional shooting in heavy wind practice is going to be your best bet.

Sure you could get a different bipod or and 30kg to your rifle but practicing those conditions is going to be your best best. Really teaches you about timing your shots and having to slow down and wait for the right conditions.

Shooting kneeling and offhand in strong winds seems near impossible at first but you do somewhat get used to it.
Doesn't mean it's easy though.

Having shot a fair bit of positional shooting in heavy wind practice is going to be your best bet.

Sure you could get a different bipod or and 30kg to your rifle but practicing those conditions is going to be your best best. Really teaches you about timing your shots and having to slow down and wait for the right conditions.

Shooting kneeling and offhand in strong winds seems near impossible at first but you do somewhat get used to it.
Doesn't mean it's easy though.
Thanks . This was my first time ever going out on a pretty windy day since it was a free day i had and decided to get some shooting in. there were moments where if i was ready I could have taken a good shot right before the wind picks back up but i always took a second or two too long and it would come right back up. It definitely gets frustrating after a while but does sort of make it even more fun trying to time it just right and getting practice in wind can only ever do me good in better conditions. always a good time shooting precision rifles

I live in Wyoming, where 20 mph is a gentle breeze. I can't think of a time wind was blowing my rifle around prone, or modified prone even in 50+ mph winds.

You're just going to have to practice, that's all there is to it. Make sure your fundamentals are solid, and the rifle shouldn't be moving.

Last edited:
Not seeing how this is anything other than shooter inexperience/not managing your equipment.........

I think maybe you arent getting right on the scope as well. When you go to take a shot, just before you shoot, you should do a little head shake and nod. Side to side and up and down and see if the sight picture moves, what you want is full clear picture to the edges of the lense. If you see dark black edges when you nod then you are too close or far from the scope. This can lead to the reticle jumping around like you described.

Not seeing how this is anything other than shooter inexperience/not managing your equipment.........
What my question was is if there were ways to cope/deal with it if there were any and if my choice of equipment has any substantial impact in the environment im using it with . No matter how you put it, I use the same shooting position in 1-5 mph wind as I did this time, and the issue I personally felt and experienced wasn't with my stabilization of the rifle as I had already said when it calmed down the reticle was controlled and unmoving until it picked back up. all i asked is if people with more experience than me shooting in higher wind had this issue and if they did how to deal with it. i now understand that practice is the key but the wind was obviously having an immense impact on the stability of my platform and reticle enough to shift me and my point of aim around in the direction the wind was blowing. i said 20+ but it was more like 25- low 30s around where the benches were and the further down you go to set up a target the harder the wind was hitting you almost enough to slightly push you around. not trying to sound like an ahole i just wanted advice like i said.. not used to stronger winds..

What my question was is if there were ways to cope/deal with it if there were any and if my choice of equipment has any substantial impact in the environment im using it with . No matter how you put it, I use the same shooting position in 1-5 mph wind as I did this time, and the issue I personally felt and experienced wasn't with my stabilization of the rifle as I had already said when it calmed down the reticle was controlled and unmoving until it picked back up. all i asked is if people with more experience than me shooting in higher wind had this issue and if they did how to deal with it. i now understand that practice is the key but the wind was obviously having an immense impact on the stability of my platform and reticle enough to shift me and my point of aim around in the direction the wind was blowing. i said 20+ but it was more like 25- low 30s around where the benches were and the further down you go to set up a target the harder the wind was hitting you almost enough to slightly push you around. not trying to sound like an ahole i just wanted advice like i said.. not used to stronger winds..
So dude, there has to be something wrong, we can all lay down or sit at a bench in 20 mph wind and not have the reticle bounce around. Either your head position is incorrect, your scope is loose, your rail is loose. What your describing is either super inexperience like 308pirate said or something is wrong.

There is no fucking way that a 20 - 25 mph wind would even slightly move a person and rifle around in the prone position. That's not a guess, as I and many here have shot in winds like that many times before.

You're doing something fundamentally wrong and there is nothing we can do to help you without seeing you shoot.

So dude, there has to be something wrong, we can all lay down or sit at a bench in 20 mph wind and not have the reticle bounce around. Either your head position is incorrect, your scope is loose, your rail is loose. What your describing is either super inexperience like 308pirate said or something is wrong.
Like I already said.. first time shooting .308 and it is my second bolt gun. Not my first time shooting using a telescopic sight or zeroing a scope. i agree there is nothing that can be done about me not being able to show you what i am doing in person. but there is no way in hell you all started on bolt guns and didn't face potential issues like this. I never experienced it before because i never tried shooting in winds above even 10mph. what could i possibly be doing that can make me shift the point of aim so drastically when it's blowing hard other than the wind physically MOVING ME ? if i have no idea of what im supposed to try changing even physical advice and help from an experienced shooter won't do me any good. "just practice man.. inexperience..." if i can't figure out a damn thing of what im supposed to change trial and error sure isnt the damn way to reaching precision. that's how you learn the WRONG way of doing things. if it's obvious that my equipment shouldn't be the issue, the wind shouldn't be as big of an issue, what the hell could be happening to make me go from holding steady in near no wind/breeze to all over the place at 20+? tensing up? not tensing up enough? no options to try? "inexperience inexperience inexperience" well damn how can i reach that experience without a little guidance ! i thought this was a forum to ask for help without being told only that im doin wrong not what i can do to potentially make it right. i understand your position as experienced shooters in that it doesnt seem like it should make sense, but how do i even begin to try fixing if i don't have options to do? i'm not gripping the gun for dear life to shake it around, i always breathe atleast 3-4 times in and out fully before doing a controlled breathe before my squeeze and like I said use a harris bipod.

There is no fucking way that a 20 - 25 mph wind would even slightly move a person and rifle around in the prone position. That's not a guess, as I and many here have shot in winds like that many times before.

You're doing something fundamentally wrong and there is nothing we can do to help you without seeing you shoot.
i am not shooting prone i am shooting off a bench elevated maybe 2-3 feet up. the wind would not be as bad lower to the ground.

im not trying to argue or cause problems. Only asking for a little help. I apologize for how I come off but we'll say it is shooter error what can be causing those fundamental shooter errors? I notice nothing off when I am taking my time and aiming and the only thing I can potentially try is recording myself but even then there would be really nothing for you to base off of so how else do i make adjustments if i don't know what i might be doing wrong?

i am not shooting prone i am shooting off a bench elevated maybe 2-3 feet up. the wind would not be as bad lower to the ground.

Makes no difference and my answer is still the same.

im not trying to argue or cause problems. Only asking for a little help. I apologize for how I come off but we'll say it is shooter error what can be causing those fundamental shooter errors? I notice nothing off when I am taking my time and aiming and the only thing I can potentially try is recording myself but even then there would be really nothing for you to base off of so how else do i make adjustments if i don't know what i might be doing wrong?

How in the hell can you make that statement?

Video review is one of the absolute best tools to diagnose shooting problems, and is used by some of the best in the world.

You're on your own

How in the hell can you make that statement?

Video review is one of the absolute best tools to diagnose shooting problems, and is used by some of the best in the world.

You're on your own
How are you able to tell what i'm seeing through my scope through a camera lens 3 feet away from me and exactly what im even doing? What if i got the "stance" down but not the "capability" of keeping steady as you call inexperience? you make no sense. Everything on a video is not as practical as it is when you have the gun in your own hands or you are in the vicinity of the shooter for this certain topic. Video only helps with so much, you contributed nothing to my question or this topic and instead made your decision as to how you would react from the very first statement by the overtly sarcastic comment . What a great way to help somebody with a legitimate problem instead of keeping to yourself, making your own sarcastic comment to your own person and moving on. I will not be on my own, you will just no longer be involved Thanks

The best answer is sign up for a class with a real instructor who can watch you shoot and give you pointers. Anybody can only do so much from here. Do you have any experienced friends who shoot? Maybe let someone else try your rifle. Is the scope a good brand? Shake it, does it rattle? Ive had vortex scopes have the back lens come loose and the recoil from each shot seemed to move things, but it was almost imperceptible until i shook the gun.

Also... i think you may have a caldwell bipod if it doesnt lock in 1 inch increments. If it has the round screw down locks on the legs its a caldwell. Jusf fyi

I'm an older guy and not big and I'm no tough guy. I'm was long time clay target shooter but now 2 years new to scoped rifles.

While I have an 19 lbs 6.5 CM, I also shoot a 10 lbs scoped Rem 700 in .308 with a Harris bipod (shhh....don't tell Frank I'm happy with this bipod! haha).

I am starting to shoot prone more, but have most often shot off of a bench or window sill in a box blind (and my lumbar loves benches! haha).

I have also have never had a 20 mph wind move my point of aim. IMO, there just isn't enough surface area in the profile of a rifle to provide sufficient force that it would move my point of aim around. No way.

And, I have shot tournament skeet which is all off-hand, of course, in hideous winds (and yeah, it sucks for lousy scores) but never, ever, felt that the wind was moving my gun.

My only thought, and this comes from skeet also, is that the wind can get in you mind and cause you to think you need to compensate somehow, change something someway, and end up chasing the cross hairs around. Maybe??

And, my only suggestion is to try to shoot in the wind EXACTLY like you would in dead calm....I don't mean to not hold for the wind, I mean get it out of your head and set up and execute as if you were at an indoor range with zero wind. Don't tense more, don't tense less, just do in the wind what you do in no wind.

Thoughts from a relatively new guy

Last edited:
Reactions: Texasflyer
Im gonna say tighten the bipod pivot and try again. Check the scope lenses to see if they are loose. Check everything that mounts the scope just to be sure. The entire game of accuracy is finding out where you can shave off any type of deviation in my opinion.

How are you able to tell what i'm seeing through my scope through a camera lens 3 feet away from me and exactly what im even doing? What if i got the "stance" down but not the "capability" of keeping steady as you call inexperience? you make no sense. Everything on a video is not as practical as it is when you have the gun in your own hands or you are in the vicinity of the shooter for this certain topic. Video only helps with so much, you contributed nothing to my question or this topic and instead made your decision as to how you would react from the very first statement by the overtly sarcastic comment . What a great way to help somebody with a legitimate problem instead of keeping to yourself, making your own sarcastic comment to your own person and moving on. I will not be on my own, you will just no longer be involved Thanks

I don't give a shit what you think. Video analysis is used in all sports, including the shooting sports, to coach and improve.

This place is a treasure trove of information for those who come with an open mind and aren't know it all pricks like you.

You can now go fuck off.

A cant level may be a good investment too. You can visually see if you move and pick a piont on the level to shoot from each time.

Also... i think you may have a caldwell bipod if it doesnt lock in 1 inch increments. If it has the round screw down locks on the legs its a caldwell. Jusf fyi
Ah....I have an Atlas on my chassis gun but a Harris on my Rem 700 and it has round lock down screws...or am I misunderstanding?

1619449701873.png

I don't give a shit what you think. Video analysis is used in all sports, including the shooting sports, to coach and improve.

This place is a treasure trove of information for those who come with an open mind and aren't know it all pricks like you.

You can now go fuck off.
im the know it all claiming everything I say is based off of factual evidence right? everything i stated wasn't also accompanied by "personal" and "how i feel" rather than what you claim I do wrong? you're the arrogant prick here, nobody else is acting this way other than you and it's for no good reason either. putting down shooters isn't the way to contribute to communities, i said nothing about being unappreciative of these gentleman here giving me good and sound advice, pointers and tips. you are the asshole acting like the know it all be it all ender of shooting. It isn't YOUR problem. it's MINE. if you don't like me for some reason, ignore me? if you find me stupid don't respond? you think my questions aren't legitimate concerns well i don't give a damn. it's affecting me negatively and i'm actively trying to search for answers to help me be the best i can be. Now you kindly "fuck off" please ? at the end of the day, i'm gonna get back out there and employ these advices until I can understand my problem!

Reactions: CW121
I'm an older guy and not big and I'm no tough guy. I'm was long time clay target shooter but now 2 years new to scoped rifles.

While I have an 19 lbs 6.5 CM, I also shoot a 10 lbs scoped Rem 700 in .308 with a Harris bipod (shhh....don't tell Frank I'm happy with this bipod! haha).

I am starting to shoot prone more, but have most often shot off of a bench or window sill in a box blind (and my lumbar loves benches! haha).

I have also have never had a 20 mph wind move my point of aim. IMO, there just isn't enough surface area in the profile of a rifle to provide sufficient force that it would move my point of aim around. No way.

And, I have shot tournament skeet which is all off-hand, of course, in hideous winds (and yeah, it sucks for lousy scores) but never, ever, felt that the wind was moving my gun.

My only thought, and this comes from skeet also, is that the wind can get in you mind and cause you to think you need to compensate somehow, change something someway, and end up chasing the cross hairs around. Maybe??

And, my only suggestion is to try to shoot in the wind EXACTLY like you would in dead calm....I don't mean to not hold for the wind, I mean get it out of your head and set up and execute as if you were at an indoor range with zero wind. Don't tense more, don't tense less, just do in the wind what you do in no wind.

Thoughts from a relatively new guy
Thanks . I believe im wording it a bit off but i feel like it's still not relevant. I dont believe the actual point of aim is being moved around as i feel like the wind is moving me around causing me to shift the point of aim . it more than likely is me trying to compensate and i just need to relax and get it out of the equation. I definitely need to find lessons to give me hands on approach since this is something i really want to get into. I will get back out and try holding as calm as i can and as close to regular as possible. Ill need to get into a repetitive action i can replicate when I get out every time. Thanks again !

I shoot with a guy who has a caldwell and its the only time ive seen that system, i always buy the s tilt 6-9 bipods and i guess they are different.
Wish I had gotten the notched leg version but I didn't know what I didn't know. Gun is for deer and the bipod comes off for hunting. But still, a notched leg is the better option, IMO, as the its really only stable at either full retraction or full extension. The lock down knobs aren't worth a damn and will slip in my limited experience.

I did get a nice Seekins short pic rail (with built in sling point) that should screw on where my two fore end sling points are currently and when I do I'll prob upgrade this bipod (well, def will upgrade).

Ok, hijack is over.

im the know it all claiming everything I say is based off of factual evidence right? everything i stated wasn't also accompanied by "personal" and "how i feel" rather than what you claim I do wrong? you're the arrogant prick here, nobody else is acting this way other than you and it's for no good reason either. putting down shooters isn't the way to contribute to communities, i said nothing about being unappreciative of these gentleman here giving me good and sound advice, pointers and tips. you are the asshole acting like the know it all be it all ender of shooting. It isn't YOUR problem. it's MINE. if you don't like me for some reason, ignore me? if you find me stupid don't respond? you think my questions aren't legitimate concerns well i don't give a damn. it's affecting me negatively and i'm actively trying to search for answers to help me be the best i can be. Now you kindly "fuck off" please ? at the end of the day, i'm gonna get back out there and employ these advices until I can understand my problem!
Here is some advice. Only get mad in the bear pit, ignore people you dont agree with in other areas. There are some great people on here, and even though 308pirate is abrasive as a pan scrubber, i believe he is intelligent and has alot of valuable knowledge to offer. Not everybody teaches the same way, and video or pictures can absolutely help get a knowledgable shooter to see where you are lacking. If you post a video you may even get some advice from lowlight who is the hmfic. You get mad, just let it roll off you like water off a ducks back.

Reactions: Baron23
Here is some advice. Only get mad in the bear pit, ignore people you dont agree with in other areas. There are some great people on here, and even though 308pirate is abrasive as a pan scrubber, i believe he is intelligent and has alot of valuable knowledge to offer. Not everybody teaches the same way, and video or pictures can absolutely help get a knowledgable shooter to see where you are lacking. If you post a video you may even get some advice from lowlight who is the hmfic. You get mad, just let it roll off you like water off a ducks back.
and at the end of the day I will still respect him, because I know he has been shooting far longer than i have and is leagues beyond me in shooting capability . which is why I think he has a right to act that way, but it still is no excuse to get that way for no reason. i never claimed he was wrong once, i never disagreed with anything he said, i even have stated multiple times that to ME it feels like i'm not doing anything differently but it can also be a whole different story than what im feeling. i only came here with a question about what i personally felt, and now i know that what i felt might not have been correct, so now it's down to a process of elimination until i can Get the results Im looking for. I appreciate the help you guys have given me, and i will always respect each and every one of you for what you do no matter what feelings or tensions get in the way. i will continue to learn and use these communities for advice because of the amounts of differing opinion with what works for everybody differently.

it more than likely is me trying to compensate
I think this may be a productive line of investigation for you.

And, I'm a BIG believer in clinics and instruction as I attended clinics periodically for over 30 years in skeet and we always found some little bit of the fundamentals that slipped a bit and I couldn't tell being behind the gun (and, I never really was a great skeet shooter to start with! haha).

I believe that one of the reasons people like @308pirate suggested a vid is not to see what you see thru the scope, but to look at how you built your position, are you firm where you need to be firm and relaxed where you need to be relaxed, how are you managing recoil, are you changing something when the wind gusts, ect.

From snow skiing, to tennis, to skeet shooting....I have always found vids of me in action to be very illuminating and usually surprising ("but it doesn't feel like i'm doing that!" haha ). Its good objective input and you may want to consider it with an open mind.

Cheers and have a great day .

There's a lot of good information on this forum but it's not always presented in the most palatable manner.
You can learn a lot from threads and Franks videos but you may well benefit from a training course with a competent instructor.

It always pays to assume other members here know things that you don't and have something worthwhile to say but you don't have to take their thoughts and opinions as gospel.

These guys are all used to shooting 20lb rifles. If you have a light rifle and the wind is gusting, you can be moved. Don’t let them convince you otherwise. Its called physics. Being seated has you and your rifle catching more wind than laying prone.

^^^^^^^ This. The heavier the object and the less profile catching the wind, the less anything will be affected. A wind is going to exploit and magnify any looseness in the system. Harris OK, Atlas bt-10 is better, lot that are more better than the BT-10 too. Another important thing is being able to squeeze your trigger with out effecting your rifle, when you see the sight picture you want. Setting up with NPA so you are not muscling your self into position could help too. Point your rifle at the target, then set up behind the rifle with your shoulders square to the target.

Field shooting conditions rarely afford you a shot where the reticle is solid, like playing around prone on a square range.

These guys are all used to shooting 20lb rifles. If you have a light rifle and the wind is gusting, you can be moved. Don’t let them convince you otherwise. Its called physics. Being seated has you and your rifle catching more wind than laying prone.
I was shooting my 22 pound 338 today and I absolutely got pushed around a bit in the stronger gusts even shooting prone.
With a lighter rifle I would have had an interesting day for sure.