• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help deciding on AR15 barrel choice

tmertz

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2020
I’m have I got trouble deciding which one of theses barrels I should pick. I my main goal is under 1 moa for 5 shots. I have ballistic advantage that I’m sending back for inspection that I can’t get to shoot under 1.5 moa. Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 453D5AEE-9CEF-4EC2-87ED-6C15F41778E5.png
    453D5AEE-9CEF-4EC2-87ED-6C15F41778E5.png
    352.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 2488FE41-5480-4926-A725-D571373E1937.png
    2488FE41-5480-4926-A725-D571373E1937.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 136
You'll have the same issues with the Faxon that you're having with the BA barrel. Both companies seem to be having QC issues. The criterion is probably good to go. I'd be more inclined to go with an Odin Works barrel in your price range. Namely this one. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884868924

If you're willing to step up in price a bit to get guaranteed sub MOA, then I'd get this https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019039852

Criterion without hesitation. They're probably the best overall value in barrels these days. I'd also consider White Oak Armament, X-Caliber, Odin Works, and maaaybe Wilson Combat in the same category.

If you can afford to step up the budget for Proof Research (that's a good deal up above!), Lilja, Bartlein, or Krieger barrel, you'll have better results - but you have to pay to get there. If you want the very best precision, then it's well worth the price in the long run. As a casual shooter on a budget, ~1moa or better is good for me, and Criterion one of the most affordable ways to get there consistently.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Criterion with do great for you. Faxon isn't a bad choice either, but they do not have the reputation criterion does. I have a 224 Valk barrel from them and it shoots great (sub MOA 5 shot groups).

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
I have no personal experience with either of the barrel options provided, but I would recommend taking a look at the ARPerformance options. Every AR I own is fitted with ARP barrels in .223 Wylde, 6.8, and .308. I have zero complaints.

What ranges are you shooting out to and what kind of targets?

You looking to build an SPR-type rifle?

It is a spr type build, but I don’t want it to get to heavy. 500 yards and in the main target distance. Mainly coyote hunting and some deer hunting

Reactions: JS8588
Skip all the useless fluting and whatnot.

Buy a quality barrel where the money actually goes into how well it shoots. WOA, Proof, Bartlien, Krieger, CLE anything,ect.

If you want to guarantee a true sub moa gun assuming you know how to build it correctly, use quality ammo, FF it, and can shoot, you need to spend the money for a good tube.

Buying barrels and building AR's is playing the lottery. The more you spend on a ticket, the higher the chance you will win. Sometimes that chance is 99+%, but you pay for it.

At the end of the day how much is your time worth? How much is ammo worth? Dicking around with questionable gun products is almost ALWAYS a money loser compared to buying quality from the beginning.

I have no personal experience with either of the barrel options provided, but I would recommend taking a look at the ARPerformance options. Every AR I own is fitted with ARP barrels in .223 Wylde, 6.8, and .308. I have zero complaints.

They shoot good. I’ve used 223Wylde, 6.5Grendel, and 308 ARP barrels and they hold their own against barrels costing much more. You can expect MOA or better results if you can shoot that well. If you want better than that, step up to a cut rifled tube chambered by a competent smith, there is a difference.

I picked up an 18-in Criterion CORE barrel. Wes @ MSTN really likes them . He ran a bore scope through it and was very impressed. These barrels are advertised to deliver a higher level of accuracy with the durability of a chrome lined barrel. You might want to check it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20201119_075839.jpg
    IMG_20201119_075839.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 27
Talk to Compass Lake Engineering. Can’t go wrong with them.
I would go with CLE also. i have a $100 gift card that i dont need if you want it for $90 save you a few bucks at least. I just built a few rifles with their barrels and dont see myself needing another barrel for a while so dont need it.

I'd go Krieger. Their lead time wasn't bad and the barrel is amazing, like amazing for a bolt gun amazing.

If Satern has a cut rifle barrel you want IN STOCK, that'd be another. If not in stock, don't bother placing an order, you could be waiting years.

Lilja makes a good button rifle but I prefer the cut rifle stuff and the Krieger outperformed my Lilja side by side, also lighter. Still an really, really good, subMOA bbl. It's what the navy used on the recce rifle.

I can only recommend from what I've used/own.

I'd forgo all the fluting and shit too and just get the proper profile/weight. Fluting doesn't remove much weight unless it's a big barrel with big flutes anyway and even then it's not a whole lot.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
I'd go Krieger. Their lead time wasn't bad and the barrel is amazing, like amazing for a bolt gun amazing.

If Satern has a cut rifle barrel you want IN STOCK, that'd be another. If not in stock, don't bother placing an order, you could be waiting years.

Lilja makes a good button rifle but I prefer the cut rifle stuff and the Krieger outperformed my Lilja side by side, also lighter. Still an really, really good, subMOA bbl. It's what the navy used on the recce rifle.

I can only recommend from what I've used/own.

I'd forgo all the fluting and shit too and just get the proper profile/weight. Fluting doesn't remove much weight unless it's a big barrel with big flutes anyway and even then it's not a whole lot.
I agree a cut rifle barrel would be the best option,but I want something I can get fast and a little more affordable.