• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help deciding on caliber for model 70LA build

Cnewhouse48

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2013
St.hedwig tx
I have a winchester model 70La chambered in 30-06 this gun shoots great for a factory rifle I am wanting to build a custom rifle out of this action but cannot decide what caliber. The purpose will be small medium game hunting and long range shooting steels and paper out to 1000. Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Keep it and just find another build in the FS threads. Save yourself 1K or more.

If its going to be a gun you shoot often, go to a less recoil round. 308. 7mm-08. 260 are good choices. Fuck that recoil for an every day rifle. All 3 of those will kill anything you point it at in the medium game range. Even some large game.

Thanks for the input guys I do reload and I have a 7mm-08 and 260 already. I was thinking something maybe acklry improved but I'm not sure.

No offense intended however, Your rifle caliber is fine & more than capable of doing what you want...perhaps you should spend more time behind it...

Develop loads for it (check out the 30-06 loads in the reloading depot) you will be pleasantly surprised.

.280 AI. My next build probably.
6.5-06 AI
.25-06 AI. I love mine. 115gr. VLD at 3439FPS makes it a laser beam on game. I have shot it to 1K+. My 11 year old daughter made a first round hit after dialing in on my 12" steel at 865 yds.

I would consider staying with 30-06 but regardless I'm going to build a new rifle off this action so why not get the best caliber suited for my needs. I like my 30-06 but recoil is pretty stout with no brake not intolerable but stout so I'm looking for something with lighter recoil and flatter shooting however I'm not to sure I want another 6.5mm due to reloading components so hard to come across