• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help extractor is cutting rim

Seandradamus

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2013
Illinois
This is a gap 308 bolt rifle . I have fired 500 + rounds never a problem.
just bought 200 lapua brass loaded em and fired. Very mild loads..almost every piece of brass now has a gouge out of the rim from the extractor.chamber opens and closes easily. Looks like the case sits still and the extractor carves into it as i lift the bolt.
Im at a loss.
Help

You need to file down the extractor. Sometimes they are too sharp and shave off brass. An easy fix

Sometimes the rim thickness of Lapua brass is greater than the extractor clearance. Measure the previous brass rim thickness and compare with the Lapua. You can remove a few thousandths from the rear face of the extractor hook or get GAP to do it. Send the bolt and a few of the new cases.

I have had the gun for almost 2
years ,shot every kind of ammo, including factory lapua 155s, never had the problem before. I dont want to send it to gap, as id probably be without my gun for a good part of the summer, i will try polishing the extractor.

I had a similar problem (maybe)with a Rock River LAR-8. I noticed that my ejected brass had a shaved stripe across the entire head of the fired case. The brass shavings then caused a problem in jamming the ejector after about 30 rounds. Called Rock River and they said send the entire upper in (prepaid with shipping label) so they could modify the bolt and adjust headspace. Got it back in less than 2 weeks and it now runs like a well oiled machine. Great customer support from Rock River. fyi, they guarantee the barrel to be 1 MOA @ 100 yards, but in actual practice with reloads using good projectiles, it shoots about 3/4 MOA @ 400.