• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help figuring out a Model 70.

fmrabnmp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2013
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina
I received a Winchester Model 70 from my father after he passed away. It was setup to shoot bullseye competition with a Redfield adjustable rear peep sight and a hooded front bullseye ring. The rifle has been re-barreled with a very heavy stainless bull barrel and has no markings on it. It is chambered in .308. Since I had no interest in shooting bullseye competition, I removed the peep sight and front ring sight with intent of slapping on a scope base, rings, and scope. I assumed it was a short action so I bought an EGW base for it. The base arrived and it’s too short. In measuring the two center mounting holes I found the measurement to be 3.8 inches. EGW has a scope base that has that measurement for a long action. I guess I’m trying to figure out if my rifle is truly a long action and what benefit would he have gained from putting a .308 barrel on it. The rifle, according to the serial #, was manufactured in 1970. I’m also curious as if Winchester clip slotted their actions as this one appears to be. Any info any of y’all might be able to give me would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 3FA9011C-8673-4710-958F-563C5CF04D07.jpeg
    3FA9011C-8673-4710-958F-563C5CF04D07.jpeg
    589.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 649F611C-F9B9-4216-8D1B-9DF51A0C7F16.jpeg
    649F611C-F9B9-4216-8D1B-9DF51A0C7F16.jpeg
    477.4 KB · Views: 109
  1. with a long action, you can hand load heavier bullets, which usually makes the rounds longer than factory loadings, which wont fit in a standard short action.
  2. he couldve just had a long action on hand, and reused it rather than buying another action.

if the measurements match up, thatll be the correct scope mount
Thanks!

No post 64 model 70s were clip slotted from the factory unless they were match or super match actions. Maybe that one is one of those.

Or it's aftermarket gunsmithing

Here is a picture I found of another clip slot push feed 70. Machining of slot is different than your example.

1655589982690.png

1655590113644.png

I don't remember when the short action came about. I don't think it was by 1970. So they were all the same length with different bolt stops.

Or I could be wrong thinking of something else. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

Reactions: fmrabnmp
You might have some luck finding information in the vintage section

You have a modified 308 palma rifle. Was built in the 60's 70's for Camp Perry competition.
It's a long action. There are bases out there. The clip slot was standard on those models.
The clip slot caused the front (rear bridge) hole to be further to the rear.
Some bases come with three holes in the rear of the base. Some don't. A 2 hole correct length base is no problem for a competent Smith to add the 3rd hole.

Best to you !

You have a modified 308 palma rifle. Was built in the 60's 70's for Camp Perry competition.
It's a long action. There are bases out there. The clip slot was standard on those models.
The clip slot caused the front (rear bridge) hole to be further to the rear.
Some bases come with three holes in the rear of the base. Some don't. A 2 hole correct length base is no problem for a competent Smith to add the 3rd hole.

Best to you !
Thanks for all the responses!

My model 70 (in 243win, a g series serial number from mid to late 80’s, push feed) I thought was a short action….. it’s not.

for a while, they didn’t seem to be making short and long actions, they were making “standard actions” mine seems a little bigger than a short, but not as big as a long, but when I was rail shopping, the only rail I could find that fit was the niteforce long action 20moa rail. Other brands of rail that I tried were either too long or too short in the screw spacing. Ymmv

I have a 1953 win M70 in 308 and it is a short action, in the sense it would be very hard to convert to a long action.

Attachments

• Win M70 308 1953 20190812_080420.jpg
    Win M70 308 1953 20190812_080420.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 48
I have a 1953 win M70 in 308 and it is a short action, in the sense it would be very hard to convert to a long action.

Too easy, if you have the parts. Remove the bolt stop adapter from the extractor ring, use a std ring, put in the long box /spring /follower, and a pre-64 goes from 308/243 to a 270/3006 length in a flash.
For the 300/375 H&H, use the correct bolt stop and correct box/spring/follower, and your action is almost ok for those two calibers. Your 53 action doesn't have the relief cut in the bridge to clear a loaded 300/375 round.
After the pre64, for 20ish years all 70 actions were long, until winchester made a true short action, most commonly seen in the hs precision stocked varmint rifles, the coyote varmint rifles, and some sporters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Cross
My model 70 (in 243win, a g series serial number from mid to late 80’s, push feed) I thought was a short action….. it’s not.

for a while, they didn’t seem to be making short and long actions, they were making “standard actions” mine seems a little bigger than a short, but not as big as a long, but when I was rail shopping, the only rail I could find that fit was the niteforce long action 20moa rail. Other brands of rail that I tried were either too long or too short in the screw spacing. Ymmv
Same ... I have an 80's G series in 22-250 with a long action

I don't remember when the short action came about. I don't think it was by 1970. So they were all the same length with different bolt stops.

Or I could be wrong thinking of something else. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
Short action released in 1980, along with general improvements to the entire range, if I recall the story correctly.