• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help! Flyer frustration

diderr

The Patch Guy
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
Gillette, Wyoming
datapatches.com
So I’ve had this issue with my load I’m trying to diagnose. It’s usually my first cold (dirty) shot.
Load
6.5 rpm
153.5 Berger seated at max mag length (3.340”)
US869
Fed 215
Weatherby brass

Should I revisit my charge then go to seating depth or just go to seating depth?

Attachments

• 21B3FDAF-2D63-4D88-A3AF-47392B50AFC8.jpeg
    21B3FDAF-2D63-4D88-A3AF-47392B50AFC8.jpeg
    589.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 02F2778F-71AB-4ADA-92AD-B5B762926E23.jpeg
    02F2778F-71AB-4ADA-92AD-B5B762926E23.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 4C148FE3-CE36-45C2-82EB-574D1EC5305A.jpeg
    4C148FE3-CE36-45C2-82EB-574D1EC5305A.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 59
Have you chronographed it? What was the SD/ES? You may want to make sure your at a good charge node and have consistent velocities before messing with seating depth.

Reactions: diderr
I haven’t chronod a full string yet. Just a few to get a good number for drop data them I just played with my kestrel until I got good elevation holds out to 1200. I just got a magneto to play with

I’m at the same crossroads with my 300PRC. I’ll chrono to check ES/SD and then either work on the powder charge, primers, brass, or my position. It isn’t always the first shot for me.

I’m at the same crossroads with my 300PRC. I’ll chrono to check ES/SD and then either work on the powder charge, primers, brass, or my position. It isn’t always the first shot for me.
Hopefully Monday I’ll get out and play with some stuff and get started on figuring this lot out. It’s not always my first shot but that’s the trend

Reactions: Emerson0311
Have you tried shooting 5 or more rounds into a group to see if there is a pattern in where the shots end up?

Velocity/chrono doesn’t matter much 300 and in. One of the reasons BR guys volume charge with something like a harrel’s thrower.

Chrono will matter at 1200.

But you can figure all this out at 100yds. One thing to make sure is it’s actually a “flyer”.

If it is, it will be a mechanical issue and likely not a load issue.

If it were a load issue, you could simply tune it out via seating depth.

Reactions: djarecke
Hopefully Monday I’ll get out and play with some stuff and get started on figuring this lot out. It’s not always my first shot but that’s the trend

If it’s not always the same shot, then that’s just likely show the rifle shoots with the given parameters.

Revisit seating. And focus on the shooter aspect.

How many rounds make up that “87” figure?
But why can I shoot my Cross with only a 9x scope with triple the trigger weight 1/2 moa or better with ball ammo consistently on the same day?
Because you are likely more comfortable and familiar with your Cross. And your Cross likes that particular ball ammo.

Have you tried any other bullets (or powder, primers for that matter)?

Also, cold shooter cant be discounted if it usually happens on your first shot.

Reactions: n0glock and diderr
How many rounds make up that “87” figure?

Because you are likely more comfortable and familiar with your Cross. And your Cross likes that particular ball ammo.

Have you tried any other bullets (or powder, primers for that matter)?

Also, cold shooter cant be discounted if it usually happens on your first shot.
My cross is a week old and have had my other rifle almost 10 months and have a lot more rounds with it. And have tried serveral other bullets but can’t find the good powders to try. I’d prefer H1000 or Retumbo but can’t really find that stuff. Might have to bite the bullet and pay double/triple the price and order some gunbroker stuff. And the 87 was over a 5 shot string

Last edited:
Ten fo. Carry on. Seems I am of no help here.
I appreciate all the help and know I need to work on myself too, but trying to get as accurate load as I can for this gun so I can focus on working on my shooting versus a load. And the flyers I’ve had were to the level I couldn’t yank a round that far off if I tried.

Another thing I found today running through stuff today; my stock had a spot on that was touching my barrel. I knocked that off. And tonight I’m going to check my sizing die for shoulder bump.

My seating depth test today. I already had a box of this loaded with my original charge so just brought in the seating depth to see what it did. Center group is my original COAL max

Attachments

• F7FAAF36-2F65-4DA0-A416-C9DA05CC2597.jpeg
    F7FAAF36-2F65-4DA0-A416-C9DA05CC2597.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 66
I appreciate all the help and know I need to work on myself too, but trying to get as accurate load as I can for this gun so I can focus on working on my shooting versus a load. And the flyers I’ve had were to the level I couldn’t yank a round that far off if I tried.

Another thing I found today running through stuff today; my stock had a spot on that was touching my barrel. I knocked that off. And tonight I’m going to check my sizing die for shoulder bump.

My seating depth test today. I already had a box of this loaded with my original charge so just brought in the seating depth to see what it did. Center group is my original COAL max
Did you shoot that test target before or after you discovered/removed the stock’s contact spot on the barrel?

Did you shoot that test target before or after you discovered/removed the stock’s contact spot on the barrel?
The test was before I found that contact. I’ll do another OCW test on my next days off

get new barrel.
I have thought about it. I’m hoping this will be good enough to get me buy until I use up what I got invested into the caliber and going to switch it to a 6.5-284

I need to buy some of that ball ammo and quit reloading...

😆 yeah my Cross really likes the 150 sig FMJ for some reason. I bought like 80 rounds of it just to break in the barrel nice and good until I figure out for sure what bullet I’m going to load for it. Have the powder, primers, and dies for it (picture is my Cross with the ball ammo)

Attachments

• 80422163-62F7-44CD-839C-EEC3F26B1568.jpeg
    80422163-62F7-44CD-839C-EEC3F26B1568.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 41
Anxious to test the gun now that I got that forend bur removed. I’ll probably go get a wooden dowl and some sand paper and open it up some more to be 100% sure it ain’t going to touch

Anxious to test the gun now that I got that forend bur removed. I’ll probably go get a wooden dowl and some sand paper and open it up some more to be 100% sure it ain’t going to touch
I’m going through the same process of elimination. A bit frustrating, but once a guy finally nails down the reason for the fliers, a lot has been learned.

I’m going through the same process of elimination. A bit frustrating, but once a guy finally nails down the reason for the fliers, a lot has been learned.
It’s been a 7 months process for me so far. It will have the occasional awesome/ acceptable group then it would throw a round way off. I hope that’s what it was and I’ll start my load OCW and seating depth over. I did shoot this at 100 yards the other day with just my offset RMR sighting it in😆

Attachments

• 53D5DD57-18E7-4C6B-897B-082B6082B431.jpeg
    53D5DD57-18E7-4C6B-897B-082B6082B431.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44