• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help for 300 blk optic...shooting all subs

CTD

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2014
Sorry if this is a dead horse topic, but I've been trying to find the best optic for my 300 blk 9" SBR with can (waiting on stamp for both). It's a 9" AAC 300 with SDN-6.

I've spent weeks researching the topic, but I'm still unsure.

I plan on shooting factory subs close to 100% of the time. Very limited supers...maybe hand load subs in the future, but nothing in the works.

Primary uses are plinking, HD, and varmint eradication (hogs, skunks, gophers).

Most shots under 100 yds, but like the idea of reaching out to 200 yds or so for hogs.

My research has basically lead me to low power variable vs RDS with magnifier.

In the low power variable category, I've honed in on the SWFA SS 1-4/6, same in vortex, and trijicon accupoint.

Some consideration being given to leupold 1.5 and trijicon VCOG. The former makes me hesitate b/c not true 1x...the later because of price (would like to keep it $1200 and under).

Would also consider other brands, but the SS and vortex seem very impressive for the price point. Are they REALLY functional at 1x as a RDS?

What would you recommend?

For my purposes, is a 1-4/6 overkill based on weight and cost? If not, would it be worth the extra money and weight to get 1-6 instead of 1-4? SS vs Vortex vs Accupoint? Something else (nikon 2x7)?

A RDS (leaning towards Eotech 300 blk) with QD magnifier seems like it would be better for my purposes, but would the magnifier do a good enough job at 150-250 yds? Or would I end up wishing I chose a low power variable with mil dot?

Mil dot and MOA are both new to me. Not above taking time to learn, but time constraints and shooting frequency lean me more towards "point and shoot" functionality.

Prefer reticles with red dot functionality. SS, vortex, eotech, and leupold (.300) reticles catch my eye.

Will be 95%+ 100 yds and in for varmints and HD.

Weight is important, but not my primary consideration (won't be humping it anywhere).

Appreciate any advice you could offer this new member to the forum.

The vortex 1-4 PST would be a great option for varmints. A standard red dot would do about everything and anything you need to do inside 100m.

I went with an Eotech on mine. Have no problem making hits on a 4" plate with subs at 100 yards. I really like it for this set up, don't feel magnification is needed for subs with a blackout.

I started with a 1-4x. Then switched to an Aimpoint PRO. I'm shooting supers and subs with my 8" Noveske/SDN6. I'm limited to my 100 yd range though. A red dot with a 3x mag would be nice setup.

I put a Vortex Strikefire on mine SBR/8.2" Noveske with plans to upgrade when I figured out what I really wanted. Its been about a year and haven't found a reason to change it yet.

I have a TRS-25 on my 8" 300blk. It does what I need it to do which is mostly plinking. I carried a TRS-25 on patrol for several years during my broke ass young deputy days and I never had an issue with it.

If you are looking at the Vortex 1-4 PST with the TRCQ mrad, I would suggest you find one and look through it. I found the hash marks in the reticle to small for me to use. I have 3 other PSTs and love them, but I had to get a different scope for my 300BO. I know there are others that had no problem with this scope and love it.

I have an aimpoint pro on my 8.5 inch blackout that i only shoot subs out of it . It works great because i never shoot at game past 100 yds . I also have an eotech xps-2 300 black out on a 16 imch smith that I mainly shoot supers out of. I have a 3 power magnifier I share between the eotech and aimpoint . Using the eotech and magnifier I can make a kill shot on a coyote at 200 yds . My remington 700 black out now wears a leupold mk4 2.5x8 with this optic I can lob a 225 grain sub out to 200 yds pretty accurate but either have to dial in 36 inches of drop or hold over 5 mil- dots . For your purpose in my opinion you either need a good variable power scope 1x6 power with target turrets or more rifles for longer range

There are so many good options. Depending on how you have it set up, you might be able to put on irons and a laser, a 3x and a laser, a 3x and irons, a RDS, or a 1-4. I have a Burris MTAC 1-4 on my 16" BO, but it mostly runs supers. The 10" BO has MagPul BUS and a CTC CMR201 laser on it. Hits on 6" plates out to about 150 are really not a problem, but I would not be running subs past 100 anyways.

I have a Meopta 1X4 on my 300BLk SBR. Daytime bright and glass is clear. Easy enough to use with both eyes open and the 4X gives me eyes a little help.

Really CDC, the Whisper or Blackout sub-sonics do not require high end optics as there is a practical limit of about 300 yards for this round. What you need is a way to repeatedly elevate the muzzle for a given distance because its almost like firing a mortar. I have been using a cheap ($60) 4X mil-dot scope with excellent results. I handload using Nosler's 190 grain Custom Competition bullet to 1,050 fps mv. Below is a range chart for the 4X mil-dots which was computed from a ballistics speadsheet obtained online for free.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/images/RangeChart300Whisper.jpg

You'll notice that the gun is zeroed at 100 yards. The range chart is attached to the stock and I simply hold over beyond 100 yards according to the chart. You'll also notice that the chart shows windage hold-ins for each 10 mph of crosswind. I can consistently hit steel plates out to 300 yards with this setup.

Mil dots are really simple to understand, but they are power specific as they grow or shrink with power changes. This is one reason I prefer fixed power scopes.

Hope this helps.

Sherlok

Attachments

• RangeChart300Whisper.jpg
    RangeChart300Whisper.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 51
Sherlock -

Would you mind posting that spreadsheet again? I can't open it.

+1 on Sherlok's fixed power. I run an Elcan OS4 (fixed 4X) on my 8.2" Noveske/SDN-6 zeroed @100yrds and use the reticule the same as Sherlok described. Works great, I know the Elcan is overkill but I had it from another rifle.

Hi CDT,

I did not post the speadsheet, but rather the resulting range chart. Do you get that?

I'll try to find the source for the spreadsheet that you can download. It's on a different computer, but there are a number of good ones out there for free.

You can also email me at [email protected] as I'm somewhat forgetful.

Regards, Sherlok

I used JBM to calculate my own spreadsheet and range chart for my subsonic load: JBM - Calculations - Trajectory (Simplified)

Manufacturer: Sierra
Description: HPBT MatchKing™
Caliber: 0.308 in
Weight: 220.0 gr
Ballistic Coefficients: 0.608 [0-1700] G1 (ASM)
Muzzle Velocity: 1050.0 ft/s
Sight Height: 1.50 in
Maximum PBR: 128 m
Maximum PBR Zero: 107 m
Range of Maximum Height: 58 m
Energy at Maximum PBR: 484.3 ft•lbs
Sectional Density: 0.331 lb/in²

The spreadsheet didn't transfer/copy here well but run it yourself to back up this range chart.

Shooting standard sub load of 220gr SMK at 1050fps.

1.) use any cheap SFP scope set to max power with a mil dot reticle
2.) lase distance to target in meters
3.) hold over/under per chart:

50m = +2 mils
80m = +1 mil
100m = hold center
120m = -1 mil
130m = -1.5
140m = -2 mils
150m = -2.5
160m = -3 mils
170m = -3.5
180m = -4 mils
190m = -4.5
200m = top of post

One that hasn't been mentioned is the Burris Mtac. I use that on a 300blk sbr 9" canned. However when I specifically hunt I use 125 gr nosler ballistic tips loaded to 2250fps.
Back to the optics... I love the mtacs reticle because it's so fast to acquire my target and is close to true 1x. Eyebox is super forgiving and relief is pretty long. The main dot covers 1.5 moa at 100 and I find that's more than acceptable to get in the boiler room of whatever I'm shooting at up to 200 yds. I actually had the vortex 1-4 first but couldn't get on target as fast as I could with the mtac. I liked the glass better on the Burris as well because it showed more contrast. It was used in a few 3gun matches and held zero every time. And at a 400 price tag it's a pretty good buy imo.

One that hasn't been mentioned is the Burris Mtac. I use that on a 300blk sbr 9" canned. However when I specifically hunt I use 125 gr nosler ballistic tips loaded to 2250fps.
Back to the optics... I love the mtacs reticle because it's so fast to acquire my target and is close to true 1x. Eyebox is super forgiving and relief is pretty long. The main dot covers 1.5 moa at 100 and I find that's more than acceptable to get in the boiler room of whatever I'm shooting at up to 200 yds. I actually had the vortex 1-4 first but couldn't get on target as fast as I could with the mtac. I liked the glass better on the Burris as well because it showed more contrast. It was used in a few 3gun matches and held zero every time. And at a 400 price tag it's a pretty good buy imo.

How far away does the Burris reticle work on a .300BO with subs? At what range does the 600 yd 223 mark line up? I'm a fan of the MTAC/Tac30 as well.

How far away does the Burris reticle work on a .300BO with subs? At what range does the 600 yd 223 mark line up? I'm a fan of the MTAC/Tac30 as well.

The 600 yard hold on my MTAC is about correct for 400 yards shooting heavy SMKs subsonic. I don't find it hard at all to make 300 yard hits, but past that, you better have the right range, a good ballistics chart and a good wind call. For me, shooting 400 yards with the 300 BO and subs is harder than shooting my .308 at 1000 yards (both on a 10" target).

The 600 yard hold on my MTAC is about correct for 400 yards shooting heavy SMKs subsonic. I don't find it hard at all to make 300 yard hits, but past that, you better have the right range, a good ballistics chart and a good wind call. For me, shooting 400 yards with the 300 BO and subs is harder than shooting my .308 at 1000 yards (both on a 10" target).

Thanks, thats further than I expected. The reticle will take you to the cartridges max range. I was thinking about selling a Tac30 on one of my ARs when I put a higher powered scope on it; it sounds like it would be ideal to stick back for a blackout later.

I just picked up a vortex viper hs from cameralandny.com for $299 for mine. 2.5-10x44. But it appears that your budget is a good bit bigger than mine. Just throwing that out there.