• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help for a newbie

mwilkins

Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
Sachse, TX.
Evening everyone. I am needing a little advise here. Looking at purchasing a USO ST-17. Setup would be moa/moa. EREK Elevation 1/4 and M40 style Windage 1/4 turrets. Ergo parallax. MOA Type 1 reticle (non-illuminated). 35mm tube and 58mm objective.

With the above configuration, cost is right at $2000. I would like to do a SN-3 3.2 - 17x but with the same options it is over $500 more in cost.

The scope is going on a 6.5 Grendel build with a 24" barrel. It is thought that if I build a bigger gun down the road that this scope will be able to be moved over to it. So the question is...... would you spend the extra coin to get the variable SN-3 or would the fixed ST-17 suffice for multiple applications. I must also state that at $2000, this will be the most expensive peice of glass I have ever purchased so I am being a little cautious and trying to look at all options. Resale value is being considered if need be as well.

Thank you for all pro's and con's. Thick skin here so I ask for all positive and critical comments.

Thanks again.

Re: Help for a newbie

Reply to my own post...... I did find another post that may have answered my questions. Very similar topic but used a ST-22 VS a NF. Will follow that topic for replies as well.

Thanks again.

It depends on what you are doing. If you are only shooting at 1k at one target, then its probably a wash. If you are engaging multiple targets requiring you to break body position and then try to acquire the target a variable is helpful. You can turn it down in power, acquire the target and then zoom back up. Also, if you are shooting at closer ranges, 17x may not be the optimal power range, especially here in Texas with the mirage.

My .02 would be to buy the variable. I would spend the extra 25% every single time.

16x is about max for me to use @ 1000. Conditions sometimes allow more but
not often. So I would think 17x is good from 1000 to about a mile. Hotter climates
it may be too much.