• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Help - Getting rid of carpenter ants

rkgsmith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2005
maryland
Recently got an ant problem, the big black ones - carpenter ants. Started seeing a week ago in basement and kitchen. On Sunday put out a stuff from home depot called Terro, liquid. It's supposed to kill and take back to the nest to kill the rest. Also put the crystals around the outside of the house. I have baseboard heating so copper pipes run all over the basement and I'm seeing a lot of dead aunts but can kill 10 everytime I go down. The house and foundation is all brick and block with no obvious signs of entry, and the basement is finished. I'm sure there is a nest somewhere, but can't see. Hoping the bait will get them. I know it's drawing them out, but not fast enough for my liking. Any Ideas out there, glad to take some advice.

Re: Help - Getting rid of carpenter ants

Chalk dust around foundation, and again at doorways and around the edge of basement, bitches wont walk through it for some reason

Diatomaceous earth sprinkled around the edges of all interior walls will kill all of them by cutting them up. They can't get immune to it.

FYI: I do a lot of chemistry in my work and it turns out that boric acid will kill the hell out of insects and especially ants. It's also perfectly safe (don't breath too much of it) and natural so you don't have to worry about any side effects or ill effects if you have kids. Just pour some on the ants directly or the area they're in and they'll have a real bad day. You can also mix it with syrup and they'll take it back to the queen and that'll be that.

Edit: I just did a quick search and came up with this for you:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ipm/msg0622204413443.html

Hope that helps

There are Carpenter Ant-specific granules. Read the labels.
Before you try other methods use this stuff first, since it actually has to be taken to the Queen to kill the hive. The queen is fed the bait preferentially, then dies, the rest of the bunch dies too, and with no one to tend the queen eggs there should be no rebirth of the hive. After you are sure they have died, re-apply each year in the spring, to prevent scouts from bringing a new queen in from somewhere else.
If this stuff doesn't work in a couple of weeks try the other methods mentioned.
I have used Amdro on Fire Ants, and other baits on different ants. Works great. Carpenter Ants will destroy your foundations, so it is worth it to do what you can.

carpenter ants will devastate a home made of cedar in no time at all. Unfortunately, I know of this through personal experience.

Act fast, and investigate damaged areas WELL!!!

High Binder, thanks for the link, got some tips from the link. I'm killin lots of ants but they just seem to keep coming. Some take the bait, some just walk on past, I'm going to mix up some stuff to change the menu so to speak.

There is a bug spray called Termidor. I found a 20oz bottle for $60 at DoMyOwnPestControl.com you mix 1.6oz per gallon and spray it around the outside of the house alonge the foundation. 2 gallons did my whole house. It was orginally made for termites but it kill the crap out of ants, crickets, fleas, roaches and of course termites. We have argentine ants out here in CA and last year every day there found a new way into the house. I tried boric acid powder all over the house and they would just go around it. They can't smell Termidor and walk through it back to the nest and kills all of them. I put it down in the spring every year and havne't seem many ants since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groovebus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I tried boric acid powder all over the house and they would just go around it. </div></div>

You have to put it everywhere so they have no choice but to walk through it and it's so cheap that you can afford to put it everywhere. Plus, you can eat it so it's not dangerous if you have pets/kids.

You can get 50lbs of DE from a pool supply place for cheap sprinkle it everywhere.

them dam things ate the shit out of the studs in the wall in my hunting camp and had to replace six or seven sutds i used (home defence) to kill em it worked good another good one is called combat i'v had good luck with that to for the big black basterds

If you can find Termidor, get that for ants. Been in the pest control industry for over 30 years and it is the best product I have ever used for any ant. One thing to keep in mind, what ever container you use to spray with must be dedicated to just Termidor. It is a non-repellent insecticide, so no repellent insecticides (99% of them are repellent) can be used in the same container. The label says it is for exterior use only. This means you either need to find where they are forging outdoors or step outside of the label and spray a little in your basement.

There can be muliple queens in your house. Look for areas where there may have been water damage to your house. They usually attack weak wood first. Look for wood shavings that may be in piles. This is called frass and is the wood they have hollowed out of your structure. They don't eat wood, just hollow it out for the colony.

You might consider adopting a pet Giant Anteater. You can probably find one via the Costa Rican black market. I understand that they are great pets as they dont make much noise. They tend to burrow when trying to get at ant nests, so you might want to watch out and make sure it doesnt burrow through you walls or floors.

Giant_anteater_costa_rica.gif

I had a BAD carpenter ant problem right after I moved in to the house I have. the home inspector never noticed it and they had already set up shop. I went hardcore...i dusted the entire attic perimeter with boric acid as well as any noticeable travel paths IN the house and on all window sills which seemed to be a favored entry point into the living space. I got a 50 lb bag of DE and treated the entire perimeter of the house, placed Terro liquid baits on every corner and at known entry points around the chimney as well.

I now treat yearly with amdro granules which target all ants but especially carpenters..

One thing to note, carpenter ants LOVE water sources. if you have ants, you have a water problem. Mine was at the flashing near the chimney and water was entering under he siding here, the ants set up a large colony at this location and were living high on the hog for a couple years. none of my pine boards are chewed up, but i have HUGE pieces of particle board sheathing missing and perforated now and it's gonna be an expensive venture when i finally do my siding. I'm gonna have to re-sheath the entire house.

Fix the water problem and DUST THE LIVING HELL OUT OF THE ENTRY POINTS WITH DE and Borax. baits work, but not as well IMO.

As has been stated above a few times, investigate thoroughly for damages. Quite often, the only thing holding up a wall (and whatever is attached to said wall) is the drywall and paint. The wooden stud (and painted cedar siding) could VERY WELL have been ventilated/aero-bar'ed like there's no tomorrow.

As Jason states, re-siding the whole house is a big job in itself. Replacing structural supports/studs in the process just adds to the 'fun'.

In the Lower Mainland of B.C; everyone's home is made out of S/P/F dimensional and cedar siding. That creates a borgaschmorg playground for the winged bastards to frolic in.

And yes, digging up the "root-bound" drain tile around the perimeter of the house is also not fun. Can you envision the costs and labour involved, to alleviate everything back to 'good' again? It is a compounding/leap-frogging/domino'ing effect.

So while you're at it, you might just as well look at newer and more efficient windows too. Just think of the equity you'll have.
wink.gif

I had a bunch of them show up in my house a few years ago. I found out where they were coming in at and dumped a large amount of boric acid through the small hole in the wall. I didn't see any more within a couple of days.

I use Terro to kill the smaller ants that seem to show up every so often. Once I put the Terro out, there will be a massive increase in the number of ants, all coming to the terro. Then after a few days, the ants are gone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/p/home-basics.html

Anteaters apparently make great pets.

On a serious note... as fast as they can destroy a house, call a professional exterminator. Not for the anteater...

Cheers,

Sirhr </div></div>

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but there really is a website about living with anteaters! God, I love the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get 50lbs of DE from a pool supply place for cheap sprinkle it everywhere. </div></div>
1+ for DE inside (be careful not too inhale though, it can cause silicosis). Outside - deltamethrin (delta dust).

Terro and some home brew of pancake syrup an boric acid seem to be doing the trick, ants down to 1 or 2 here or there. Got some mail order stuff called Phanthom at the suggestion of a guy that used to be in the ant killin business. He said it's what the pros use. Couple of treatments and everything will be dead. I'm setting up to do that this week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might consider adopting a pet Giant Anteater. You can probably find one via the Costa Rican black market. I understand that they are great pets as they dont make much noise. They tend to burrow when trying to get at ant nests, so you might want to watch out and make sure it doesnt burrow through you walls or floors.

Giant_anteater_costa_rica.gif
</div></div>

Just be careful that your ants don't sound like Dean Martin ...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYNHckn89-Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYNHckn89-Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Burn your house down! That will teach those sumbitches!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steven Dzupin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just spill a fifth of cheap Gin on the buggers and apply

a handfull of sand.

Sit back and watch them kill each other off in a drunken rock

fight.

Regards,

Steve </div></div>

Dammit, That's funny.
Bet you had dirt clod fights as a kid, too?
No alcohol involved though...

"But, you're from New Jersey. You don't know how to do it."
(Thug fail on YouTube)

John