• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Help! Glock Mods

RCS1278

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2012
Southern Oregon
So I have a gen 3 Glock 22 that is totally stock other than putting on some night sights, and I'm wondering what are some of the modifications others have done that are considered must do's, and must don'ts.

Re: Help! Glock Mods

Thats all you need to do. Change the sights, and shoot it. The few Glocks I've seen not run well were the ones people added a lot of aftermarket parts to the pistol.

Cut

For me the biggest improvements I made was having the grip reduced and stippled. Trigger job with connector 3.5 lbs. Vickers magazine release.

I did the Trijicon HD n/sites and love them.

Essentials:
3.5# Ghost Rocket connector
TruGlo fibre optic/tritium sights
Decal grip (like skate board tape)
Options:
Extended mag release
Extended slide stop
tungsten guide rod and recoil spring

Don't waste your money on a Fulcrum Trigger, instead do the .25 cent trigger job, make it a mirror finish, 3.5 connector, change the striker to a light weight steel unit, install a comp spring kit, and finish it off with a Lone Wolf over travel stop, this combo has netted a 2.5lb trigger in a couple of Glocks, and no loss of safety's or reliability, finally do proper load development, my minor PF load in my G35 will do 2.5 inches at 25 yards from a Ransom rest.

The lighter connectors suck, in my opinion. Yes, they lighten the trigger, but do so at the expense of adding creep.

If you like a creepy trigger, put a new (lighter) connector in your Glock.

Yeah yeah, I know ya'll are going to jump on me and say "mine doesn't creep". Save it.

I've tried 4 or 5 different ones, and they're all the same. Lighter, creepier trigger.

Instead, my "trigger job" includes:

1. 25 cent trigger job
2. High-power trigger return spring (Wolf)
3. Adjust sear engagement for ~.020", by grinding the sear lug on the striker

This generally produces a 4.5ish pound trigger that lets off CLEAN, which is what I personally like.

Must haves: more mags and a lot of ammo. I'm a fan of running 'em stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RCS1278</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I have a gen 3 Glock 22 that is totally stock other than putting on some night sights, and I'm wondering what are some of the modifications others have done that are considered must do's, and must don'ts. </div></div>

I'd keep it box stock and use it as a carry gun. If you want a game gun tricked out get a 34 or 35 and do a few things to it.

Lots and lots of ammo. Outside of sights, there isn't really anything that needs to be done to a carry/HD weapon.

replace that unsupported barrel with aftermarket...before it goes kaBOOM. change guide rod to ss with a 22lb ISM spring. Sights. that's it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">replace that unsupported barrel with aftermarket...before it goes kaBOOM. </div></div>

That's just goofy. One of the most reliable handguns in the world and you want to change the barrel so it doesn't kaboom? If it kabooms it is not from the barrel....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RCS1278</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what is a 25 cent trigger job??? </div></div>

Polishing the parts that move in relationship to each other.

Google it.

I shot my gen I 23 for a decade or so then a buddy of mine showed me his that he had the grip contoured on. I had my grip recontoured along the backstrap and its improved my already good shooting.

whatever pal

8wl6bt.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">replace that unsupported barrel with aftermarket...before it goes kaBOOM. </div></div>

That's just goofy. One of the most reliable handguns in the world and you want to change the barrel so it doesn't kaboom? If it kabooms it is not from the barrel.... </div></div>

I've running a Glock 34 in USPSA matches for many years and have nearly 30,000 rounds on my primary 34. Yep, not a typo, 30,000 rounds.

Unless you plan on running your Glock 22 in competition I wouldn't do much to it. You can change the sights if there is another set you prefer. I do recommend adding a "grip tape" to make the gun easier to retain a consistent grip when shooting. Check out TruGripUSA.com. I've been running this tape for the past 3 or 4 years and have been very satisfied. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway for what it's worth.

HTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">replace that unsupported barrel with aftermarket...before it goes kaBOOM. change guide rod to ss with a 22lb ISM spring. Sights. that's it. </div></div>

Why don't you show a picture of a factory Glock barrel that went kaboom? Everyone knows that Glock .40's leave a bulge in the case from a less supported chamber, but that is a long ways from a kaboom. Showing a bunch of pictures of chambers doesn't prove anything.

from what I've heard the 40sw cases (the web) are generally weaker than they should be.

Combine hot 40sw with unsupported chamber = high risk.

combine reload 40sw with unsupported chamber = high risk

sights and a 3.5 lb connector, the barrel is fine unless you load magnums in it,
plenty of mags and ammo and practice, practice, practice

I put a Ghost Inc #4.5 trigger connector on mine and did a little polishing on the contact areas as well. That was on my Gen 4 23. On my Gen 3 I put skateboard tape on the grip and had a buddy (armorer) do a polish on it. A hot day on the range combined with quick target exposure times and sweaty hands almost ended up with the weapon being thrown at the target. I know some guys cut half moons in the grip to facilitate mag removal on a stuck mag and some guys round off the trigger guard. If I was using it for CCW I might just put the grip tape on one side of the grip, depends on your holster. Your mods all depend on your intended use. It'll be just fine stock though. I think the gen 3's and 4's are supposed to be a little better as far as the dreaded Glock 40 Kaboom. I reload with mine and never had any issues.

I have seen 2 Glock 40s&w blow up, both had the samething in common, ammo loaded on Dillon 550s, the 550 lacks auto indexing, I don't care what caliber or what brand of pistol your shooting, double charge a case and kiss your gun goodbye, if that's all that's breaks consider yourself lucky, also don't think a aftermarket barrel has any more support than the factory Glock barrel has, my brothers Threaded KKM has less support than the factory barrel, the whole unsupported barrel thing is way overrated and anybody who thinks Glocks are dangerous for that reason is misinformed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you kidding me.. good grief. ok, just go to google and type in glock 40 kaboom...plenty

if you want to take the risk I could care less. I felt the OP should be aware and now he can do his research and make his own decision.

https://www.google.com/search?q=glock+ka...280&bih=922
</div></div>

Ugh...

40 Cal Glocks kaboom with improperly reloaded or "remanufactured" ammo.

Undoubtedly, the unsupported chamber exacerbates the issue of out-of-spec ammo, but I don't see how that is Glocks problem, or even a deal breaker...?

Clearly, the feedramp is a trade off between chamber support and reliable feeding. Glock chose to forego some support for enhanced feeding.

If you use SAAMI-compliant ammo, the 40cal Glock will not blow up... with the disclaimer that heavily bulged brass that has been "fixed" with a buldge buster is NOT SAAMI compliant, in my opinion. You can't unstretch brass.

Just did the 25 cent trigger job with my dremel today. My G23's trigger smoothed out nicely and lightened up by about a pound, pound and a half. Once my G21 Gen4 arrives, I'll do the same and put in the 3.5lb connector. All in all, the 25 cent trigger job is a great improvement.

thanks for all the input guys! I'm going for the 25 cent trigger job and ordering up a 3.5lb connector this week. Grip work is in the future as well, just have to decide how I want to go about it. Anyone have any experiences with ZEV Technologies?

I do. Had them do a grip reduction, mag well and silicone carbide grip. If your going to carry this dont do the carbide its like sand paper go for the stipple. Also had the trigger undercut for better grip.
James

Modify the controls so that you can reach them without having to twist the gun too much. If that isn't an issue, run them as close to stock with as many OEM parts as you can. Personally, I throw on night sights and swap out the mag catch and slide stop with the Vickers units, and run either a Glock factory 3.5 connector on my match guns or a 3.5 connector with the NY1 olive spring on my defense guns. I regularly see Glock pistols with a plethora of aftermarket parts take dumps on the range. The closer you stay to stock, the better it will run as a general rule.

be careful on the polishing. if you over do it you'll have a glock that does 2-3 rd bursts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RCS1278</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I have a gen 3 Glock 22 that is totally stock other than putting on some night sights, and I'm wondering what are some of the modifications others have done that are considered must do's, and must don'ts. </div></div>

What do you want to do with it? If you're shooting USPSA, what class do you want to shoot? If it's a weekend plinker, that changes things. Is it a CCW gun, then I'd leave it mostly factory. If you have money you want to burn(that's not a bad thing either) and just want it to look cool/tough, that's a whole different angle.

I'm going to approach with the CCW angle because the others have way too many variables, that ultimately, are your decision for what feels good and works for you.

CCW:
* Steel sights(get rid of plastic factory sights!!!) Get your choice of Trijicon 3-dot, Heinie Ledge, 10-8 ledge, etc.
* Factory-like trigger. I wouldn't go much lower than 4.5#-ish trigger. Again, a feel thing. I personally don't mind the "+" connector with 5# spring, but for work, I'm required to have that. I shoot it well, so I've just gotten used to it!
* Extended slide stop lever. You can get a factory Glock part here. If you have to perform a support hand, 1-hand reload, it may help - IF YOU PRACTICE IT!!
* Extended mag catch. I file/round the edge towards rear of pistol though. Factory Glock one has a bit of a sharp edge.
* Practice magazines - keep your carry ones separate if you can. I know mags aren't cheap, but have your 2 or 3 carry ones, and have your training ones that get beat up by dropping them, reloading and re-reloading, etc.
* Add texture to frame?? If the pistol feels fine, good!! Perhaps consider adding grip tape/skateboard tape to the sides? I am <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span>a fan of the slip-on type grips as they can get in the way of mag-catch operation, rotate around to change grip feel. Grip tape will eventually wear off a bit, so may need to consider changing it. Another thing about grip tape is that it can/will wear on sides of shirts a bit.
* Have on hand extra parts such as : recoil spring assembly, mag springs, mag followers. A .40 Glock seems to be a bit harder on the RSAs.
* As others have said, LOTS of ammo. Get out there, practice, get proficient, think about what your training and range session will be there before you get there. Don't just blow off 100rds of Win White box and say "that was fun!" YOu get get a LOT of training drills that are also fun into a 100rd shooting session.

Good luck!

-G45