• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP, GOT A M-14 AND DONT KNOW SH!T ABOUT IT *pics

BECKS7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Like the title says, I got a new M1A today and dont know a thing about them!!!! This is my first non-bolt gun, and none of my friends have one.
I saw it in the shop, it was $500 bucks out the door and I just couldnt say no.

All I know is that it puts ten round into a flatened trash can at 150 or so yards standing unsupported,open sites, witch I was pretty happy with.

I don't know how to clean it, I dont know how to take it appart or what any of the parts do or what they are even called.

So here is what I know, its a Norinco "M14" and its in a synthetic stock.it came bagged in a box and covered in grease and needes cleaning badly, I whiped off what I could but have no idea how to clean the inside, bolt or anything else....and how the HELL do you clean the barrel???????

Sorry for the probably stupid ass question but the Search(yes...I looked first) didnt really find me anything.

Thanks guys.

*update* here are a couple of photos

DSC00042-1.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx-2.jpg

GetAttachmesntaspx.jpg

And here is what she did at 150 or so yards open site standing no sling.
GetAttachmendtaspx.jpg

Re: HELP, GOT A M-14 AND DONT KNOW SH!T ABOUT IT

+1 on the SMOKING Deal. I haven't seen a deal like that in a long time!

Norinco/Polytech M14 receivers are forged and considered by some to be superior to the current Springfield Armory M1A receivers. I guess they are closer to "spec" and can accept GI parts better.

The bolts in them can be "soft" and replacing them is a good starting point.

To tear them down, you have to (with unloaded rifle, obviously) pull back of the trigger guard back towards the butt of the rifle, then away from the top of the rifle. Once you've got that done, the trigger guard will swing open and you'll be able to pull the assembly away from the stock. Next, you can pull the stock from the receiver, starting with the butt end of the rifle, and pivoting slightly on the front end. From there you can clean the rifle up fairly well. I'd use some CLP, from the sounds of it your rifle is covered in cosmoline. Brake cleaner works too, but it will dry out your rifle so be sure to lubricate everything real good before putting it back together.

H2O_Man is a member over on ar15.com and I believe here as well and he's very knowledgeable on M14/M1A's. If you post a question on them he's bound to reply, especially over on ar15.com in the M1 forums.

Good luck!

Oh, and your rifle is not considered an M1A, that's Springfield Armory's deal. M14 is fine.
wink.gif

+1 on a great deal. The previous posts hit the mark. The M14/M1A is a great rifle. You'll have a lot of fun with it.

Try this web site; www.surplusrifle.com

Click on the M14/M1A, then click disassembly cleaning, assembly, great step by step with pictures.

Shoot it for a while, then down the line get a USGI bolt installed.

yea........great deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know how to clean it, I dont know how to take it appart or what any of the parts do or what they are even called</div></div>

Well I can fill up this post with all kinds of maintance tips and such, and probaly forget something, or make it so confusing I wouldn't know what I said.

OR

You could PM me with you e-mail address and I'll send you the M14/M1A maintance manual in .pdf format.

Congratulations!

It sounds like you have one of the "new" M14s available in Canada...

Visit http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/ for real time information on these particular ChiCom M14s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. Yeah its one of the new ones that they say they have fixed the soft bollt thing. </div></div>
Excellent!
Is the factory stock on par with a USGI synthetic? If not, find a GI stock ans make the change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> what any of the parts do or what they are even called.

So here is what I know, its a Norinco "M14" and its in a synthetic stock.it came bagged in a box and covered in grease and needes cleaning badly, I whiped off what I could but have no idea how to clean the inside, bolt or anything else....and how the HELL do you clean the barrel???????</div></div>

http://www.rifle-company.com
Rifle Company has a real nice sticky for a pictorial step by step guide on "Field stripping the M14"...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. Yeah its one of the new ones that they say they have fixed the soft bollt thing. </div></div>
Excellent!
Is the factory stock on par with a USGI synthetic? If not, find a GI stock ans make the change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> what any of the parts do or what they are even called.

So here is what I know, its a Norinco "M14" and its in a synthetic stock.it came bagged in a box and covered in grease and needes cleaning badly, I whiped off what I could but have no idea how to clean the inside, bolt or anything else....and how the HELL do you clean the barrel???????</div></div>

Rifle Company has a real nice sticky for a pictorial step by step guide on "Field stripping the M14"...

</div></div>No idea what a USGI stock is, or what they look like, if you are talking about a SA stock, then I couldnt tell ya because no gun shop brings them up here because no one will buy them, so I've never seen one.

thats a great deal. are there more of these around? i mean is that a common price for that rifle? just curious i have always wanted an M14/M1A and really i dont care if its not a SA-NM. i know $500 is a screaming deal but is that uncommon?

you know you hear about places having stuff and not knowing what it is and what it should be worth. they really ought to get the internet. just not before i get my M14, lol

AXEMAN, these new Norinco M14s are not available in the US, but our friends north of the border can still import them.

You would need to shop for a deal on a Poly Tech or Norinco that was imported into the US many years ago.
They sell for about $900.00 these days, but deals continue to pop-up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. Yeah its one of the new ones that they say they have fixed the soft bollt thing. </div></div>
Excellent!

</div></div>No idea what a USGI stock is, or what they look like... </div></div>

Learn all about the M1A and M14 HERE

ahh i see. i have always liked that rifle. i looked at one before i bought my savage. i was going to get the loaded M1A from springfield armory. how do the older ones compare to a loaded SA?

+1 on the M14 Firing line. One of the best places for info on the M14

Need an Accuracy Speaks M14 Gas Cylinder Wrench Combo Tool?

<span style="font-style: italic">click on the picture</span>

You stole that rifle. Good snag.

Thanks guys.

How the hell do I put a bipod on the freakin thing though?

Ive got about 100 rounds through it now, and I need to clean it, but im still not really sure how this is going to work, I stick the cleaning rod in through the muzzle?

How do I clean the action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys.

How the hell do I put a bipod on the freakin thing though?

Ive got about 100 rounds through it now, and I need to clean it, but im still not really sure how this is going to work, I stick the cleaning rod in through the muzzle?

How do I clean the action? </div></div>

Get a Bore Snake and one of the sweet cleaning kits from Otis... http://www.otisgun.com/

I don't know enough about the plastic stock on your Norinco to offer a bi-pod suggestion.

ave you joined CanadianGunNutz yet?

$500.00 is about retail for this rifle north of the border.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need an Accuracy Speaks M14 Gas Cylinder Wrench Combo Tool?

<span style="font-style: italic">click on the picture</span> </div></div>LOL dont know, whats it for?

GLFS_Wrench.lg.jpg

SEI Gas Lock Front Sight Wrench
New issue GLFS Wrench for M14SE SDM, MK14 Mod O rifle, and M21A5 Crazy Horse.

Re: HELP, GOT A M-14 AND DONT KNOW SH!T ABOUT IT *

The Kneuhausen M1/M14 book is pretty good, shows all inspeciton and gives specs, as well as, accuracy mods.

Re: HELP, GOT A M-14 AND DONT KNOW SH!T ABOUT IT *

Buyers Guide-This might be helpful for inspection.....

Purpose and Disclaimer - This is a guide to help the first time buyer in the process of selecting a M14 type rifle. It assumes the prospective buyer is eligible to legally purchase a firearm and the purchase will be made in the United States of America. This guide cannot and does not guarantee any results. The intent is to make the new M14 enthusiast aware of some items to look for when shopping for an M14 type rifle. If the purchase is made from an online auction, insist on an escrow account to hold the funds while you have the rifle checked out. The Commercial M14 and M14 Close Up photo galleries at www.imageseek.com/m1a may be of help in identifying M14 related items.

Know the federal, state and local laws regarding firearms and firearms parts and accessories before you begin your search. The following sites are helpful guides regarding the law: www.packing.org www.nra-ila.org www.titleii.com and the U. S. Department of Justice Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives web site. If you are unsure of the law as it applies to you, do not proceed with the purchase and seek out legal advice from a knowledgeable attorney.

Suggested Tools – SAAMI NO GO headspace gauge, bore light, throat erosion gauge available from www.brownells.com or www.midwayusa.com

General Appearance of the Rifle

Are the parts colored various shades of gray? If so, this is not necessarily bad. The current owner or a previous owner may have replaced worn parts or upgraded to USGI parts.
Is the phosphate coating worn at all? a little? a lot? almost gone?

Is the action clean?

Are the barrel feed ramps dirty?

Is the action lubricated with grease?

Receiver

In 2005, Armscorp USA, Entreprise Arms, Fulton Armory, LRB Arms and Springfield Armory, Inc. are producing commercial M14 type rifles. These firms and Smith Enterprise, Inc. (not Smith, Ltd.) are available for customer support. All other U. S. M14 type rifle manufacturers are no longer in business. The Springfield Armory, Inc. (of Geneseo, IL) warranty is honored for the life of the rifle.

If the rifle has a selector lug or a notch in the center of the operating rod rail or a groove in the forward end of the operating rod rail the BATFE will consider it a machine gun. All NFA Rules apply.

Do you intend to install a scope mount on this receiver? Some commercial manufacture receivers have difficulty with fitting of some scope mounts. The prospective buyer should read the M14 Scope Mount FAQ before proceeding.

Is the flat rear end of the receiver, known as the heel, devoid of any lettering or numbers? If so, there’s a 99.9 % chance it is of Chinese manufacture. Do you see the name “Norinco” or “Polytech” anywhere on the rifle? If so, it is of Chinese manufacture. Obviously, these rifles cannot be returned to the factory for service but there are American M14 gunsmiths that have experience with Chinese M14 rifles.

Check the stamping of the receiver heel. Are the words spelled correctly? Are there any missing letters in the wording?

Closely examine the shape of the receiver heel. It should be symmetrical.

Is there a ridge in the top right edge of the receiver between the stripper clip guide and the bolt lug recess? It is supposed to be there to slow down the speed of the bolt.

Do you want a standard or a match rear sight? Ask the seller what it has if you can’t tell the difference. A match rear sight has a smaller aperture than a standard rear sight. Chinese rear sight assemblies are crudely fashioned so check the operation of the windage and elevation knobs. The "WCE" marking on Chinese rear sight knobs does not mean they are USGI contract parts but Chinese copies. Chinese rear sight parts use different thread sizes than USGI rear sight parts so the individual parts are not interchangeable with the possible exception of the rear sight cover.

Barrel

What barrel length do you want? 16.1”, 18”, 18.5” or 22”? A shorter barrel is better for close quarters and a longer barrel is better for precision shooting.

Is the barrel bore clean? Use a bore light to check. Look for worn rifling, pits or rust.
What is the Throat Erosion reading? Use a throat erosion gauge to find out. The higher the throat erosion reading the more the barrel has been shot through. Match grade M14 type barrels are usually replaced at a reading of “5” or more.

Chromium plated barrels last longer and are easier to clean but less accurate than non-plated barrels and the chambers cannot be reamed. Do you want a chromium plated barrel? If so, look for the marking 7790190 on the barrel under the hand guard.

Match barrels will give match grade accuracy for 5000 to 9000 rounds. Do you want a match barrel in light, medium or heavy weight contour?

If you have a chance to remove the stock, attempt to gently wiggle the operating rod guide from side to side. It should not move. When you cycled the action before engaging the safety, did the operating rod move smoothly? It should.

While you have the stock removed, look at the operating rod spring guide. Does it look fat or skinny inside the operating rod spring? If it fills the spring, it is a match grade part. If it is skinny, the spring guide is a rack grade part. Which type do you prefer?

Bolt

Are there any numbers or letters on the top of the bolt? If there are no markings on the top of the bolt, it is a Chinese bolt. A Chinese bolt imported into the United States may need replacement now or in the future. Consult an experienced M14 gunsmith regarding conversion to a USGI bolt. Some Chinese bolts imported into the United States have been tested and found to be too soft.

Is the face of the bolt pitted or is the firing pin hole enlarged? If so, you should consult with a M14 gunsmith if you purchase the rifle. The rifle may require replacement of parts.

If the rifle is New-In-Box is there a factory headspace tag? If not, you or the seller should check that the bolt will not close on a SAAMI specification NO GO gauge. Chinese rifles tend to have headspace longer than SAAMI specification but less than NATO specification. If headspace exceeds SAAMI specification it should be checked using NATO dimension headspace gauges for safety reasons.

Gas System

Are the edges of the gas cylinder plug hex end rounded or sharp? They should not be rounded.

Ask the seller if you can lock the bolt back. If the bolt will not lock open it needs repair. If the bolt locks open, tilt the muzzle up and down in a safe manner. Do you hear the gas piston sliding back and forth? If not, the gas system is dirty.

Check the gas cylinder lock for any visible cracks. There should be no cracks.

Muzzle Attachments

Is the muzzle attachment on the rifle permitted by law at the point of sale?

Is the muzzle attachment on the rifle permitted by law at your residential address?

Muzzle brakes are louder than flash suppressors. The benefits of a muzzle brake are reduced recoil and faster follow up. If you have the legal option, do you want a muzzle brake?

Stocks

FYI: The black crinkle texturing on Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A stocks tend to chip over time. Accept it or replace the stock.

FYI: Wood stocks will need periodic preservation to keep from drying out or swelling. Also, the trigger guard should not be clamped into the stock if the rifle is stored for the long term. If this is not acceptable, install a synthetic material stock.

FYI: If there is a large opening in the stock just below the right rear end of the receiver then there is a 99.9 % chance it is a USGI stock. This opening was made for the select fire components on USGI M14 rifles. This opening can be filled in but it does not have to be.

Check the stock for cracks and dings. Wood stocks can be refinished into stunning works of art. Birch and walnut are the two most common types of wood for M14 stocks but there are other kinds out there.

Ask the seller if you can remove the stock. As you pull the trigger group out, is it easy or hard to remove?

A match conditioned M14 type rifle with a wood stock will be bedded. Ask the seller if you can remove the stock for inspection. What is the condition of the bedding?

For non-bedded stocks, the receiver heel should sit on the stock. It is normal for a gap to exist between a non-bedded stock and the receiver from a point about 1” from the rear end to the bolt lock.

Did you check the butt stock compartment? There may be a USGI cleaning kit on the inside.

Do you like the hinged butt plate? If not, a rubber butt pad can be obtained as an aftermarket part and installed.

Icing on the Cake

Is there a scope mount installed? If so, is the stripper clip guide included with the rifle in case you wish to remove the scope mount? Steel scope mounts are heavier than aluminum mounts but much less prone to moving around. A mount that contacts the receiver on the top front, top rear, and at the side is best. See the online M14 Scope Mount FAQ for further information.

Is the factory shipping box included? If so, do the factory box and receiver serial numbers match? If so, is the factory literature inside the box?

How many and what size magazines are included with the rifle?

Who made the magazines? USGI contractor, Chinese, Taiwanese or are they aftermarket brand(s)? If you cannot identify them ask the seller.

Are any accessories (cleaning kit, bipod, sling, sight protectors, bandoleer kit, bayonet, Army manual) included?