• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP! Gun gurus needed

Note that you will probably need a new gas block (or need to retrofit the barrel), as the barrel will likely not be set up to accept a pinned FSB.

I'm not a faxon fan would get a white oak service rifle barrel pinned for FSB instead. Pretty sure it's 280 which isn't a lot for a barrel tbh. Other options would be an FN chrome lined or something from green mountain/ER Shaw (they make a lot of the "m16 clone" barrels out there).
Went this route after hearing the faxon may not work. It was only $240 after shipping. Unless I got a different one from what you're talking about.

Being the experts here have condemned your barrel to the scrap yard....... You have nothing to loose.

An idea:

Take a wooden dowel rod and affix a piece of emery cloth to one end. Chuck it into a hand drill and polish out the rough area in the chamber. Let your son watch and learn something. He may see a day where ordering a new barrel is not an option. Drop a cartridge in as you buff it out to check your progress.

Open to criticism.

Attachments

• IMG_6511.JPG
    IMG_6511.JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 47
Any thoughts on this for an entry level piston upper?

You can't go wrong with a Sig 516 g2 upper- they're one of the best values in piston ARs- designed by one of the HK 416 engineers. The 516 g2 uppers can often be had for under $799 new in box, and Sig will sometimes do an email blast with pricing under $599.

The Adams Arms uppers are decent too.

I just saw you ordered a new barrel- let us know how it works out.

Went this route after hearing the faxon may not work. It was only $240 after shipping. Unless I got a different one from what you're talking about.

That is a freaking excellent barrel. If you need help installing it, just ask. We'll walk you through it.

Make sure you noted for them to add the flats for the front sight base, if you didn't, call them and get it added to the work order.

Great choice for the price they ask.

Make sure you noted for them to add the flats for the front sight base, if you didn't, call them and get it added to the work order.

Great choice for the price they ask.
I put it in the comments. What's the turn around time usually?

If you are not a gunsmith, you should not take advice that you get from randos on the internet.
If you are a gunsmith, you should not take advice that you get from randos on the internet.
That might eliminate the need to come to this site... but when you bring a question, expect an answer...
Gunsmith's are over rated.... I've seen their butcher work. I'd trust a journeyman millwright, a manual machinist or a John Deere field service mechanic before some of the gunsmiths.
JMHO

That might eliminate the need to come to this site... but when you bring a question, expect an answer...
Gunsmith's are over rated.... I've seen their butcher work. I'd trust a journeyman millwright, a manual machinist or a John Deere field service mechanic before some of the gunsmiths.
JMHO
Know what you know.
Know what you don't know.
Know the difference...

JMHO

Which is it- all gunsmiths, or just some gunsmiths, are overrated?!

Being the experts here have condemned your barrel to the scrap yard....... You have nothing to loose.

An idea:

Take a wooden dowel rod and affix a piece of emery cloth to one end. Chuck it into a hand drill and polish out the rough area in the chamber. Let your son watch and learn something. He may see a day where ordering a new barrel is not an option. Drop a cartridge in as you buff it out to check your progress.

Open to criticism.

I tried that with an undersized chamber before and it wasn't enough, you need a few turns with a finish reamer.

I tried that with an undersized chamber before and it wasn't enough, you need a few turns with a finish reamer.
Well, we don't know if it's undersized or just needs some finish work. Nothing to loose and he might teach his son a few things along the way. From a mechanic's point of view, this old method of cleaning out a cylinder evolved into the modern day "flap wheels" that are used in every industry.

Well, we don't know if it's undersized or just needs some finish work. Nothing to loose and he might teach his son a few things along the way. From a mechanic's point of view, this old method of cleaning out a cylinder evolved into the modern day "flap wheels" that are used in every industry.
I would try that just for laughs and giggles. If it worked I would still replace the barrel, but then I would toss the “fixed” barrel in the “extra parts” bin for a rainy day.

Reactions: moosemeat
The picture is very blurred but looking at the primer pocket it looks like it may have been reloaded. I see what looks like a primer crimp remover that swages the ring crimp of fired military brass. If the brass was not full sized it could cause it to stick.
Also I agree with a comment about a rough chamber. If the brass is shearing off this could also be hydrogen embitterment from someone washing the brass in a chemical with high ammonia content.
What ammo have you tried. Be careful in firing 556 ammo in a 223 bbl. Only fire that in a 556 bbl such as Daniel Defense or a Wylde bbl.
The correct buffer weight and gas port comes into play also. An oversized port can be detrimental. I normally use an adjustable gas port for direct impingement. My preference is an Adams Arms gas piston. Especially for an SBR. The gas pressure from the gas port position is higher plus the blow back from a gas impingement on a short bbl is brutal even with the charging handle ported. Look closely at the brass and the ejector.
Robert S.

Last edited:
Reactions: Des_Draws
Took our oldest to the range with his new rifle his uncle built him. We were shooting 5.56 through it and it would shoot but not extract. Pics below of the brass aftermath. Tried 223 and it would shoot, eject, shoot another but only halfway eject while it tried to cycle another round in. The RO and someone else tried diagnosing it to no avail. We swapped the bcg for mine and it had the same issue, although I don’t think mine was shearing the brass like his. What could be causing the issue?

My thoughts?
1. Not chambered for 5.56
2. Gas tube issue/pressure issue
3. It didn’t seem to like the mags I brought for it but he left his at home his uncle gave him.

It’s an Anderson lower and I don’t know about the upper.
GREATGOBSOFGOOSESHIT!!
Um, I'm no longer a military gunsmith and the photos suck but Hoss, you gots a problem there. If I had to guess JUST from that single photo I'd say that your chamber was cut with a well boring cutter in SERIOUS need of sharpening (Sarcasm) AND your gun is so overgassed that it is slamming your bolt into oblivion and ripping the rims off. Without a doubt I'd put money that the cases are scored something fierce, too.
Buy a NEW barrel and 0.075" NON-ADJUSTABLE gas block and have it installed. Personally I don't buy anything but Rosco barrels for quality builds. Primary Arms and LaRue make superb barrels as do a number of others but if you want a good BASIC upper/barrel, I have several from PSA that have been giving me STELLAR service for comparatively little cashish, so don't turn up your nose at them but don't delude yourself into thinking you'll take home medals at Wimbledon, either. Just sayin'. Good luck.

Took our oldest to the range with his new rifle his uncle built him. We were shooting 5.56 through it and it would shoot but not extract. Pics below of the brass aftermath. Tried 223 and it would shoot, eject, shoot another but only halfway eject while it tried to cycle another round in. The RO and someone else tried diagnosing it to no avail. We swapped the bcg for mine and it had the same issue, although I don’t think mine was shearing the brass like his. What could be causing the issue?

My thoughts?
1. Not chambered for 5.56
2. Gas tube issue/pressure issue
3. It didn’t seem to like the mags I brought for it but he left his at home his uncle gave him.

It’s an Anderson lower and I don’t know about the upper.
maker of gun? need chamber go/nogo 223 and 556, gas port size tube length, recoil spring/buffer. why do people they can buy parts and build

I have had zero problems with Palmetto State Armory Complete uppers and BCA uppers and barrels to include the free one they gave vets on veterans day several years ago. New uppers need to be run pretty wet sometimes to make them run right when brand new.

Listen to @redneckbmxer24 the larue is the best deal out right now. Stupid how cheap it is for what you’re getting. Otherwise if he wants something lightweight I’d go with a BCM upper and utilize his existing lower. Put a H or H2 buffer in the lower and enjoy.

Hard to beat any of the Wilson Combat barrels for the price. Especially if you are looking for a shooter...

Got the barrel swapped but nenes to get the fsb pin slots in the barrel. What came from white oak wasn’t what the fsb needed. Taking it to sons of Liberty on Monday.

Here is the old barrel and the sheared brass inside of it.

Attachments

• 61047C0D-71A0-4053-A191-84B1FCBFCEEE.jpeg
    61047C0D-71A0-4053-A191-84B1FCBFCEEE.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 7AFA15B1-3102-4A50-97B2-A8DEBCABE670.jpeg
    7AFA15B1-3102-4A50-97B2-A8DEBCABE670.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 42
I just saw you ordered a new barrel- let us know how it works out.
Probably won't ever know now. Went to the FFL/gunsmith with our 18yo to pick up two new lowers for myself. Asked about his upper in the shop and mentioned how I bought a lower here on Monday and was getting two more for future projects. Turns out, I think they were suspect that I was buying two lowers and he was with me but yet we asked about his upper. We left the lower for it at home because they said it was easier to check in the upper without the lower to save on additional paperwork and what not. The owner's wife? I guess started asking questions and I said the upper was in my name because I dropped it off. To wrap it up, they didn't sell me the lowers, said it would probably be "flagged" for same person buying 3 lowers in the same week, and gave us the upper back since it wasn't checked in under his name.

Just going to get him a complete new upper and be done with it.

Probably won't ever know now. Went to the FFL/gunsmith with our 18yo to pick up two new lowers for myself. Asked about his upper in the shop and mentioned how I bought a lower here on Monday and was getting two more for future projects. Turns out, I think they were suspect that I was buying two lowers and he was with me but yet we asked about his upper. We left the lower for it at home because they said it was easier to check in the upper without the lower to save on additional paperwork and what not. The owner's wife? I guess started asking questions and I said the upper was in my name because I dropped it off. To wrap it up, they didn't sell me the lowers, said it would probably be "flagged" for same person buying 3 lowers in the same week, and gave us the upper back since it wasn't checked in under his name.

Just going to get him a complete new upper and be done with it.
Probably to avoid atf bullshit like what happened to a guy in Delaware