• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help: Identify and appraise remington 700 match rifle(not tac/sniper).

InkedIan

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2007
Va
I received this rifle in a trade and I don't know much about it and have yet to shoot it. I believe it was used in Palma matches or some sort of prone rapid fire match but i'm unsure. I maybe selling it but i'm really unsure how much a rifle like this would be worth with these modifications. What do you all think it was used for and what it's worth? It's a 223 rem BTW.

Last edited:
I can't help you with a value, but I do think it is a really cool piece. I like it. You don't see rifles like this at the range anymore. Personally I would give her a good cleaning, and take it out for some range time to see what she can do. If after that it just makes you go eh then flip it.

I agree, rifles like this are rare today, I'd load some good rounds up for it and go shoot some paper! What twist is it?

Very Nice rifle!

That is a very cool rifle as stated I would clean it up and shoot it. Value I can't give you a price but I am sure someone on here will be able to give you one.

Hello Sir,

It appears to be a "Match Rifle" configuration to shoot the NRA National Match Course of fire, 200 yd Standing Slowfire, 200yd Sitting Rapid, 300 yd Prone Rapid, 600 yd Slowfire Prone and the Longrange or Palma course of 800,900 and 1000 yd Slowfire Prone Matches. The front sight appears to be a "Tompkins" front sight that uses inserts. The "Bloop Tube" was used to extend the sight radius for longrange shooting I believe. This could be a mid to late '80s setup, probably a 10 twist to shoot the 190's. That's my guess.

jaclthr

P.S. Missed it being a .223, Sorry, then not 10 twist for sure, probably an 8 twist setup for the Sierra 80 gn. wouldn't you thing?

Last edited:
I received this rifle in a trade and I don't know much about it and have yet to shoot it. I believe it was used in Palma matches or some sort of prone rapid fire match but i'm unsure. I maybe selling it but i'm really unsure how much a rifle like this would be worth with these modifications. What do you all think it was used for and what it's worth? It's a 223 rem BTW.

Looks like someone's attempt at building a 40x, looks like it was set up for Palma, Service Rifle? Remington 700 action. Trigger has the old style safety, so it's either a 40x or 721/722. I'd say someone took a stock 700 V and put the 40x accoutrements on. Sights are worth some money, handstop and stock to to the right person . I'd give $750 for it, If I were in the market - without the sights...$550 tops.

The Kaiser

Well I shot it today with my father on his property. Unfortunately we only had some winchester 223 45gr hp factory ammo to shoot and about 50yds, but I must say i'm impressed. With my limited experience with an aperture sight I was able to shoot .43 and .55 3 shot groups and a .78 5 shot group(4 were .52) at 50yds. I'm sure it would do better with handloads and someone experienced with this type of sight. It also functioned perfectly although I didn't get to shoot it much. Although it's a neat rifle I think I'll be putting it up for sale soon as it would just end up gathering dust.. Thanks guys

Someone used it for highpower matches, the action has been clip-slotted, the old redfield rear sight may be of interest to someone wanting to "restore" an older match rifle, but it certainly is not up to the current sights from Warner or Centra. Keep it and shoot it.

Someone used it for highpower matches, the action has been clip-slotted, the old redfield rear sight may be of interest to someone wanting to "restore" an older match rifle, but it certainly is not up to the current sights from Warner or Centra. Keep it and shoot it.

I looked up those warner and centra sights and for $400-600 i'd would hope they are superior in some way, but I have to say the redfield sight seems extremely well built...

Looks like someone's attempt at building a 40x, looks like it was set up for Palma, Service Rifle? Remington 700 action. Trigger has the old style safety, so it's either a 40x or 721/722. I'd say someone took a stock 700 V and put the 40x accoutrements on. Sights are worth some money, handstop and stock to to the right person . I'd give $750 for it, If I were in the market - without the sights...$550 tops.

The Kaiser

This. Someone took a stock 700 223 (barrel markings look like factory) in which case the twist is likely 1-12. Then they put it in a X-course 40X stock.

going by the barrel date code and the serial number prefix it looks like your rifle was built in 1983. You may be able to find more info at the remington collectors site.

Remington Society of America - questions/barrelcodes

Its tough to tell if its something made up by an owner or by the factory. I've seen a number of odd rifles that were factory made though the masses thought they were gunsmith specials. Also seen quite a few rifles made by gunsmiths which were claimed to be factory. Maybe some research with the remmie club guys could help you.

Frank

I believe this is what the custom shop called the "40X-C" model. It was primarily used for a across-the-course rifle from 200 yd. to 600 yd. Also used a lot in Europe for "CISM" (SP?" matches. It had a special extra long magazine box that would hold 5 .308 rounds down in the box with the bolt closed on an empty chamber. The clip slot was for rapid reloading of 5 rounds from a stripper clip in the rapid fire matches.
I've see them in .308 and 6mm International. Worth about what any good 40X is worth, plus the Redfield sight set.