• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help identifying this AR 15 barrel

starscream

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2011
Long Island, NY
My father past away a short time ago and now we are starting to go through some of his gear. I came across a few uppers for his AR and i cant identify this one barrel. My mother thinks it was just for shooting 22lr for his .22 conversion b/c the muzzle hole it notably smaller then the 5.56 barrels, but im not sure. It is 24 inches and i tried to measure the muzzle but i cant get and accurate measurement its coming up at 5.54 to 5.55. I took it to the local gun shop and they could not give me any answers. There are no markings on the barrel what so ever. here are a few pics i just took with my camera phone. Any help would be great thank you in advance.
2900760010050203972kqFTvc_th.jpg

2493370610050203972DASFbO_th.jpg
2294029550050203972aEInrf_th.jpg

Re: help identifying this AR 15 barrel

Only way to make sure what you think you have is actually what you have is to cast the chamber. There should be a local smith who can do it for you; if the smith doesn't know what that means, then find someone else. Casting a chamber isn't rocket science.

The bore dia for 22 and 5.56 is the same. Even in the small pic it shows a standard barrel extension and what appears to ba a regular chamber (as opposed to a rimfire chamber with flat face and ejector). Its a dead ringer for the "Varmint" uppers model 1 sales was selling the hell out of a few years back. 24" ER Shaw SS barrel. Its simple enough though. Get the chamber cast, and measure the twist. Very simple. Good luck.

thank you for your help idk why the pics came out so small. Can anyone recommend a place in long island NY to take it. I went to a local place in glen cove the guy looked at it took a .223 and a .22lr and stuck the bullet tips in the muzzle to see what would fit both were to big. After that i think i need to go somewhere else since the guy really didn't have a clue, or a tool to measure it.