• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help? Is this Remington 700 Bolt Face Normal?

kchu02

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2008
College Station, TX
So I just took a used KMW 308 in on a trade. This is really only my 2nd custom rifle (first one was a GAP 338 I traded a while ago). I noticed that there is a ring imprint on the bolt face around the firing pin hole. Is this normal? Rifle is a KMW with a GAP prepared bolt since original was lost.

This is what it looks like

2ikqkb8.jpg

I was expecting it to look like this without the ring around the bolt face.

24d51lk.jpg

Any input is appreciated

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Help? Is this Remington 700 Bolt Face Normal?

That is either a long protracted dose of leaking primers, or the firing pin hole has been bushed. Probably the latter. JMHO

forgive me for asking what does getting firing pin hole bushed mean? sorry newb here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">forgive me for asking what does getting firing pin hole bushed mean? sorry newb here </div></div>

Sometime the firing pin hole is oversized or out of place. The smith will drill it out and fill it back in with a bushing (way over simplified for what actually happens but you get the idea).

Cheers,

Doc

I have a bolt that is molly coated. As the coating was wearing off, the face looked like that as well.

Will that affect accuracy? Is it safe? Wont go kaboom on me will it?should I get a new one?

Unless it's really bad, it won't affect the integrity of the bolt. As long as it remains flat inner surface to outer surface it won't affect accuracy either.

Edit:

I'll agree with the statement it looks like it has been bushed.

Ok thanks for all the input, might just get a ptg bolt once I get it rebarreled from a 308 to a 260

ckh, I lean toward pilot's view. Without a better pic, that looks merely cosmetic from here. Looks like the parkerization, phosphate, cerakote or whatever finish was used on the bolt wore off the bolt face and to me thats a good thing. My tiny opinion is it shouldn't have ever been there. That's another topic.

I'm leaning towards leaking gasses and damage. Is the ring actually cut into the bolt face or is it flat across the face. Also, the firing pin hole looks huge....like pierced primers have cut at that too.

Here's a couple pics of my bolt that I had Gre' Tan bush this past winter. It looks quite a bit different than that one.

Hope this helps.

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

It is cut into the bolt, like a recess in the bolt (the ring)

I'm going to be pretty upset if this is damaged. Traded a like new BCM RECCE Precision + like new Schmidt and Bender Short Dot for this gun.....

kch, that is not normal if the surface is etched as it now appears with the better picture. And like our friend above, I was about to suggest Gre-Tan for a bush job. He'll now what to do. Just send him the bolt. Look at his site. You'll have an improved bolt. I also think, without getting into your deal, the shooter who allowed that was inexperienced. That much erosion should have taken awhile and he should have noticed it but then again, some of these clowns never look at the gun except to load it.

Yeah I'm contemplating just sending this to APA,SAC, lousiana precision, or maybe another hide gunsmith and getting it replaced with a PTG bolt and getting the gun rechambered into a 260.

There goes the cash I saved for a NF F1....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I'm contemplating just sending this to APA,SAC, lousiana precision, or maybe another hide gunsmith and getting it replaced with a PTG bolt and getting the gun rechambered into a 260.

There goes the cash I saved for a NF F1....</div></div>

Why not just ask KMW?

I don't think KMW does anything outside of his own work now. Plus the bolt has already been replaced once by GAP.

Just talked to Jered from APA, gonna send it out in a few weeks.

He said (most likely) previous owner/owners were running really really hot loads...

Ide call a few people before I sent in something that may not be broken.

Call the previous owner and see if he has any SA on this...
Call GA P. and see if they have any record of the previous owner having the FP bushed.

Take the bolt apart, clean it internaly and shine a light down inside the body, if you see a fine line on the inside of the bolt-face has that same circle...if yes...its been bushed.
If not, its probably be bushed and you cant see a damn thing.

Thats definately from gas leakage around the primers. Send it to GreTan to have it bushed and call it a day.

It is etching from high pressure gas leakage around the primer cups.

It is cosmetic. Shoot it until you're out of ammo, money, or interest.

I wouldn't worry about it much. Here's a pic of my .308's bolt face from a few years ago when i had a case head seperation and it blew my extractor out. Sent it to GAP to get the extractor fixed and still using the bolt to this day. Have fired thousands of rounds since then. A little ring isn't anything to worry about.

P1010047.jpg

Im the previous owner. Which you already know because you have PM'd me on other items. PM me again if you have any questions.

The bolt works fine. It wasnt bushed. Had I kept it I planned on having it done.

Let me know if I can help with any info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is etching from high pressure gas leakage around the primer cups.

It is cosmetic. Shoot it until you're out of ammo, money, or interest. </div></div>

+1

Mine looks worse - Shoot it!

This thread is a very strong argument for why you should not shoot a rifle after it is built and plan to sell it on SH.

People have questioned in the past why so many low/no round count rifles are for sale on this site. This most certainly justifies their existence.

that looks bushed... it should be fine...