• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help loading Sierra MatchKing 168 and 175 TMk

Don-n-Texas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2011
Houston now in Denton County
Anyone Loading Sierra MatchKing 168 and 175 TMK for .308 ? Anyone having any problems. Any pressure problems. What OAL are you using. What load data do you have.
Thank You in advance for your help.

Last edited:
These are two fairly common bullets being loaded these days. Without much other Info like rifle, bolt or gas, range you like to shoot etc those are questions no one will be likely to answer due to the extreme spread of possible respones.
168s have been around a while and there is tons of data in books and online that are both reliable and proven.
175 TMKs use the same load data with great success as the SMKs....maybe small changes in seating depth.
Tell us what brass/powder/primer you at least prefer and folks will pony up some info

How much experience do you have as a reloader?

Most of the questions you ask are dependent on, and relevant to, only on a specific rifle.

Why don't you just use a loading manual and workup some loads like everyone used to do before asking for every answer on the internet became commonplace?

Don't get me or gunny wrong, lots of folks here are willing to help and clarify questions with whatever experience and knowledge we have, just need more information and what we are dealing with other than 1 data point.

Also..read through the sticky thread regarding the 308. Lots of answers to those questions you asked and they provide materials they used and rifle they shooting out of

Sorry for not being more specific. I'm reloading for 3 bolt action rifle Remington SPS Varmint, Remington 5R, and Tikka Varmint. Heavy barrel target rifles.
I been reloading SMK's but not TMK's. I'm worried about jamming the extra length of the TMK's in the case.
My question is do I have anything to worry about with over pressure. I read and article from Sierra. they said basically everything is the same.
My question is do I go with 2.800 OAL and the same powder loads.
Also any loads you may have.

PS Also I'm not the best at reloading, or the best shot, not a good a Gun Smith. I have got lost and ended up at a bar. But I'm trying.

Last edited:
You also have told us nothing about the powders, primers, and specific cases you plan on using.

To late I've decided against your advice. So you can quit trolling.

Me trolling? LOL

You ask a bunch of generalized questions, with none of the information that we need to give you intelligent answers. Information that someone with even the most basic knowledge of reloading would know to give.

You read Sierra's information on these bullets, yet you feel the need to not believe them or cast doubt over it.

You're the troll, or someone who shouldn't be near a reloading press.

Reactions: winniedonkey
Using Sierra's data on the SMKs for the TMKs is not an issue. Sierra has done the leg work and if it was causing unsafe pressures they would have released supplimental data. Now that said of your loads are hot or compressed as it is them yes TMKs will definitely be even more so and would warrant a minimum 10% reduction in powder and them inch your way back up.
Personally I have used the exact same recipe for my TMKs as the SMKs and had 0 issue in terms of velocity changes ( minimal at best). My POI was almost the same but I did have to lengthen COAL by 0.01 to achieve same avg group size over 15 shots. To me....that's pretty good work by Sierra's team. Never load under the Influence and if the bar wins....the bench can wait

I load 168 Tmks at 39.4gr of varget to mag length. Its slow at 2515fps. But its my best grouping rifle.
Ive played a little with 175 tmks and got great grouping with 43.2gr varget loaded to mag length. This load however has givin be a touch of sticky bolt so i still have more work to do on it, but thats the info i have!