• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing help looking for barrel blank

matthias

Terminal lurker
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2011
bismarck north dakota
i have this problem with really big bullets moving slow. i love them. i need to find a .458 caliber barrel with a 1-8 or 1-10 twist. saw pacnor has them as an option was wondering if there are any others out there. would rather not mortgage to house again for a project gun.

the goal for the project is 500-600 grain projectiles around 1000fps. thinking 458 american built on an old savage large shank action like a 7mm mag or 300 mag .

thanks for the help .

Re: help looking for barrel blank

I'll bet Norm Johnson at High Plains Reboring and Rifling can make you what you need.

I just got a couple cut rifled blanks off him and they're very nice.

Why not a 510 Whisper? 50 cal blanks may be a bit easier to find and 750+ grain bullets subsonic is even cooler.

thanks guys. i will check out the options. your google fu is strong!

the calibers i have thought about are
500 whisper- cutting down and turning 338 lapua brass seems expensive and time consuming

458 american or 458-1.5 - both of these are easy brass prep by cutting down 458win mag brass. also the bolt face is the same as any of the win mags 7mm,300,338 so finding a donor rifle would not be to hard. another reason for me to go with one of these is that i alredy have a couple 45-70 marlins so i can use some of the same bullets although i have never shot anything over 405's in my 45-70

50 alaskan - would be cool but the rimmed cartridge would be different\difficult in a bolt gun leaving me to get a barrel for my tc encore. still an option but kind of takes away from the whole build it myself thing

any other sugestions would be appriciated