• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help make decision on rifle!!!!

jlaw973

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2009
central MO
Fairly new to the precision shooting world and looking for advice from the experienced people of the precision world. Have been shooting a friends custom .338LM with Razor and custom .243 with Nightforce a little bit and want a rig of my own now. Don't have the money to build a custom right now so I came up with a few options/ideas to get your opinions of. I plan on buying a PST FFP Mil/Mil when available. I liked the reticle in the Razor but can't afford anything in that range at the moment. The distance I have available to shoot would be out to about 1000yds or so. I have shot my friends to 800 and fell in love. I'm looking at either a Remy 5r, 700P, or possibly the new SPS ACC if I could find one, all in .308. Just wondering which would be the best to eventually, hopefully, get to that 1000yrd mark. This rifle would also probably be used for deer hunting in Central MO. with possible long shots. Another option would be taking the 700 BDL 30.06 I have and re-barreling it, trueing the action, and putting a better stock on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advanced. I know similar questions have been asked, just wanting to know which rifle people think would be the best for the money.

Re: Help make decision on rifle!!!!

Any of the three options that you mentioned will get you out to 1K without any problem. The 5r is certainly a favorite for many. If you reload, even a SPS with a decent stock and a good load will get there with decent result. It all depends on your budget for the rifle.

Don't load right now but have access to the equipment and eventually plan on getting set up to do it myself eventually. I didn't know if the different barrel lengths and twist rates had that much of an advantage over another. I also plan on a suppressor down the road also, have my C&R just haven't had much reason to get one yet. Figured rifle first you know. I bought a few parts like bolt knob, trigger, rings and a few others at Midway's sale they had in there warehouse last year, so that will save me a little. I was hoping to get everything done for around $1800-$2000 if possible.

I have owned and shot 5R and it shot lights out, not too heavy or expensive. Would be my choice of the Remingtons

My Choice of the 3 you listed would be the 5R. Great rifle very accurate.

I was leaning towards the 5R. I believe that's what I'll get when I get the money. Not a real fan of the stainless look, but have a real good painter that lives near that I may have to visit shortly after buying, once some things are done to it of course. When I get everything done I'll post some pics if I can figure out how. Thanks for help.

My wife's uncle recently purchased a 5R in 308. He couldn't be happier with the rifle. Shoots very well, and was a decent price. I would go that route, or a 700 action. Building your own custom gun from a qualified smith is a great option. When you build your own, you get exactly what you want. It will probably be more expensive, though.

I eventually want to have a rifle built. Like I said, my friend has had two built and are very nice. I could have the same guy build me one also for a good price, but I think I will save some money for ammo and reloading supplies and start with the basic. Then once I am comfortable or wear this rifle out, I will build a custom if finances allow. I'm basically just getting into this game and don't want to jump in head first only to get discouraged right off the get go. I thank everyone for their advice and plan on getting more questions answered and help as I work forward to building my first set-up!

I would take that long action and build a 6.5-284. Watch out though...it's a barrel burner.

Or go factory and get the 5r like others have suggested. My 5r is a good shooting rifle.

Wow, I am in the same boat as the OP. Would love to get a rifle for long range shooting and been looking at those three also. If I'm correct they all have a different twist rate. Which twist rate is best or is it not as big a deal as some would make it out to be?

I know its a budget thing, I in same boat, but everyone I ask says buy once and cry once = Buy a GAP and dont look back. Thats just what I did last week. Only reason I say this is you will get the "bug" even worse, and after shooting you new rifle a while, you will want something better and end up selling the rifle, prob a 5r (good choice) for less than you paid all the while wishing you had just got the GAP!! ha its what I did with my scope...just sayin...

i like the 6.5-284 plan but you will need to reload i never see that ammo at the shops near me!

I've got a Remmy 700 built that I'm thinking..key word thinking...of selling. Rock barrel finished at 25 3/4", threaded for suppressor already. B&C A3 stock, trued action, non j-lock. Weaver Tactical FFP 4-20 scope in ARMS #22 rings on a 15 MOA base. Harris 6-9 bipod with notched legs and pod-loc. 62 rounds down the tube, just don't have time to get to the range anymore. Barrel and stock are finished in od green. I've been kicking around letting it go for around 2k as it sits.

Still saving up the coins right now. Trying to get everything picked out and decided on now that way when I get the money I can get after it. Hopefully won't be much longer, in the process of selling our house, should free up some funds. I would love a GAP, don't think the wife would go along with it right now and not worth a devorce!! Trying to get something good and affordable since I also shoot 3-Gun and wanting to get into it more at the same time. May be a little tuff trying to do both but I'll give it a try.

ssfeu----- If you still have your rifle and decide to sell when I'm ready I may be interested.

Another question about the 5R, is the recoil pad screwed on or glued on? I've heard people talk about not liking the recoil pad wanting to change out the stock because of it. I figured if it was screwed on then why not just change the pad.

5r and you might look at the super sniper 10x ffp. i love mine. great learning tool too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recoil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5r and you might look at the super sniper 10x ffp. i love mine. great learning tool too. </div></div>

The Super Sniper scope gives you a quality piece of glass for very little money. I am just starting out too and I dont think there is another scope out there that will give you so much for so little $.

The Super Sniper sounds like a good scope for the $ but I prefer a variable power and a reticle more like the PST or Falcon ML-16. I would much rather have a USO or SB but there is no way I can afford one of those. The PST just sounds like a good product with all the features once they get all the bugs out. I still would like to hear how they are in lowlight conditions for hunting.