• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me build a 10/22

summitsitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Crowville, Louisiana
Guys I built a bunch of rifles and now I ready for a sweet shooting 10/22. Give me your input on components you would use. Including action. i have a ruger 10/22 fatory action, but really don't wanna use it. I don't want something that weights a ton either. Thanks, Trent

Re: Help me build a 10/22

Go to the Kidd web site, and build a configuration you like.
It won't be cheap (~$1500) but you get the finest 10/22 out there.
The two screws receiver->stock attach points and the threaded barrel are big plus in my books.
Note though, that you don't need to cough that kind of money for an accurate 10/22.
I personally own also a 10/22 Target, that with the right ammo, shoots as accurate as I can be. And I paid $400 for it.
A Kidd build is a luxury item, if you can afford it, it's worth it.

put a good barrel on your reciever and a new stock. Throw some decent optics on it and shoot the hell out of it. Unless your wanting to drive tacks at 2-300yds, this ussually makes em shoot better then I can anyways! Now don't get me wrong, if i had the money I'd be on a Kidd rifle aswell. You'll prolly wanna do some trigger work on a factory rifle as well. I think I have $300 in mine, maybe $400, and it shoots very well with bulk stuff. Better with higher dollar ammo.
Paid $230 for a stainless carbine, sold factory barrel/stock for $100 so only $130 actually in it.
Butler Creek 20" .920 barrel-$60
Boyd's Tacticool stock-$75
Weaver scope base-$8
trigger work was already done-no idea of what
I customized the bolt release to make it an auto release
Leapers scope 6-24X50-$60
$333
Now it's not the quality that you guys here on the hide would own, i'm sure, but it functions and will shoot with many higher dollar guns. Personally I don't see the need to spend a bunch of money on a 22 rifle unless maybe your gonna shoot competitions. I bought all my aftermarket parts used, minus the base. I personally don't need a Leupold or anything in that price range to shoot well either.

the Kidd triggers are creme of the crop. I also have VQ trigger groups ands did a power custom replacement parts. I personally love the B&C Anschutz stock (none thumb hole) the best, but, there are a lot of good stocks out there.

First thing you need to figure out is how much you wanna spend.........you can easily hit $1K building a 10/22 target rifle.

Money and imagination are the only restrictions on a 10/22! The Kidd stuff is all superb. They just came out with a single stage trigger, but if you are a bench rest guy the 2 stage is adjustable and it goes down in oz's.DNZ dednutz 1piece base is also cool. Check out rimfirecentral.com for you name it on 10/22's

+1 For Kidd Products!
rimfirecentral.com has more than you can imagine!!
Money & Time are your only limitations!!!

Just got done building my 1st Zimmerman Arms and couldn't be happier. I have another reciever on the way! I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

They are out of Prescott AZ and the owner Michael is a very good guy to work with.

zimmermanarms.com

John III

As noted above, Rimfirecentral.com is a wealth of knowledge for a 10/22 build. Beware, they are addictive and there as many aftermarket parts for the 10/22 as the Rem 700. Lots of fun and inexpensive to shoot. You have the Ruger receiver so use it as it's fine for any build. You can get your Ruger bolt reworked for $40-$50 or $90 for a Kidd. There are too many barrels to note and it's really personal preference but your price range is $100-$200. I have 2 Green Mountain 20" fluted barrels (only because I couldn't find 18" barrels at the time). 16.5"-18" barrel length is ideal. Whistle Pig is another good option for a barrel as well. If money is no option, by all means go Kidd barrel. The Kidd 2 stage adjustable trigger is outstanding; hard to justify but well worth it and I'd do it again. After using the Kidd trigger, you'd swear the factory trigger isn't just rough but has rocks in it. That said, there are vendors out there on RFC that will give you a fine, smooth pulling 2-2.5 lb reworked factory trigger for $75. Stocks are personal preference much like barrels but B&C has plenty of good options but expect some minor fitting/inletting. With regard to glass, get something that will focus down to 25 yds and good out to 200. I've mounted 2 scopes on on Deadnutz (DNZ) Game Reaper one piece aluminum mounts and I like their product and though not as tacticool as a one piece picatinny rail, works very well. In the end, you can do your research on RFC and build your own for $500-700 or send Tony Kidd $1200 and get yourself some good glass and have an ulitimate. In the end, you'll smile knowing you're firing .10 rounds.

I have the Kidd trigger and it works great. I also have the McMillan STC Anchutz stock which is badass.

If I was to build another one, I'd probably just buy a Kidd completion kit w/ threaded bbl and a zimmerman XL Rifle receiver, then Slap a UBR on it. With all the bells and whistles, it would probably be right around $1100.

So how much do you want to spend? As noted by other posters if money is not limited, the easy way is to order a Kidd.

If you want to spend less, a trigger and bolt job by Randy @ CPC plus a Green Mountain barrel from Shooters Discount will give you a lot of bang for your buck.

Just go Kidd and be done with it. You will not have to worry about I wish I would have. Buy the best and eliminate the voices.

At very least get the Kidd trigger group. It really is badass. I think it's probably my best semi auto trigger, and I've got Geissle and RRA NM triggers in my ARs.

Thanks to the Op for helping me complete a Kidd. After answering the original question, I ordered the light weight Kidd barrel. As I needed another receiver for another build I bought a Kidd receiver and I'm having the barrel threaded to the receiver. This now completes a Kidd build!

Buy an Airsoft G36, and slap your 10/22 right inside......

Its effective, original...and looks scary to the zombies.