• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me build my Savage la 7mm rem mag

Sidk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Vegas
Stock is a McMillan A5, its now chamber in 30.06 As mentioned in the title 7mm mag. I would like to suppress it so besides the obvious bottom metal and mags what else will I need? Which bolt face(PTG Mag?), what twist barrel for the heavy pills, what length, what recoil lug, what trigger, what suppressor. Receiver is a square back. Add any other parts I may have missed(barrel nut).

You haven't told us what the rifle will be used for. Hunting, competition, ELR shooting, range toy, multi-purpose, ____________?

The Bartelins you linked to are not Savage prefit barrels; you would need a gunsmith to chamber and either install the barrel for you nutless ala Remington, or set the barrel up as a prefit using a nut. Easily done, but at more $$$ and sort of defeats the purpose of a Savage, IMO.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?5768-Shilen-Rifle-Barrels

Shilen 26" 1:9 prefit for $339, or a slightly lower grade for $299. 1:9 twist will work with 180s but might be a bit slow for the rumored 195gr 7mm Berger uber-bullet.

CDI DBM, AI 300wm magazines, Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger, PTG or even Savage .532 magnum boltface, Northland Shooting Supply recoil lug...suppressor? TBAC 30P-1.

Oh sorry, long range target. Keep in mind I want it suppressed.

I'm sending all the parts to chad or or maybe mark gordon(he's done some great work on other guns) or someone to be assembled. I'm not really looking to go cheap on the gun. So you think a 1:8.5 would be better? Bartlein will get the barrel nod. I'm looking for the best choice

Your not getting many responces because your original post is a little confusing (gramattically) and somewhat incoherent. If you took the time to do a little research yourself, most if not all of your questions would be answered. If you really want the best choice, just pay Chad or Mark their asking price and sit back and wait for your skirt to be blown off.

Your not getting many responses because your original post is a little confusing (gramattically) and somewhat incoherent. If you took the time to do a little research yourself, most if not all of your questions would be answered. If you really want the best choice, just pay Chad or Mark their asking price and sit back and wait for your skirt to be blown off.

I guess you have no idea what a Forum is used for. I'll help you out, its for exchanging ideas and the company and comradery. If I wanted some old out dated theory that doesn't have any relevance I would read 10 year old posts. If you would have read post 2, you would have seen the part where it says "I've been reading up". You can help or just go away. I'm not a noob, I shoot 600 yards almost every weekend. I have a mill in my shop and make a lot of my own parts. I just don't know that much about Savages, and other place I've directed to go are nothing more then a soap box for their particular products.

Boiler pretty much covered it. The joy of savages is the ability to "roll your own". Jim Briggs at Northland Shooting Supply is great to deal with and will have most of what you need. You might prefer an upgrade to the Savage factory tactical bolt handle or an aftermarket one from PTG or sharpshootersupply.com. Lead times may be frustrating with the latter. When ordering a mag face bolt head make sure you order one for a long action. The Shilen or Criterion profits from Jim tend to be excellent shooters. I have a 6mmBR Shilen Select Match Prefit that is more accurate than I can routinely shoot (.25 moa and occasionally better, I am always the limiting factor). Savage shooters.com is a wealth of information for all things Savage.

Good Luck,
Mike

I guess you have no idea what a Forum is used for. I'll help you out, its for exchanging ideas and the company and comradery. If I wanted some old out dated theory that doesn't have any relevance I would read 10 year old posts. If you would have read post 2, you would have seen the part where it says "I've been reading up". You can help or just go away. I'm not a noob, I shoot 600 yards almost every weekend. I have a mill in my shop and make a lot of my own parts. I just don't know that much about Savages, and other place I've directed to go are nothing more then a soap box for their particular products.
Wow, 600 yds almost every weekend?!?! And a mill?!?! I take back all the insults I didn't make. Thanks for the lesson on forum definition, I had always wondered.

Exchanging ideas is fine, but as I mentioned above, you make it hard to answer or exchange any info, most of your original post could be interpreted as incomplete statements and/or questions. I did read post two, and it doesn't change the fact that for not being a "noob" as you put it, even the magnum bolt face question eludes you. I've also read some of your other posts, about stocks and Savages, which is why I told you before to just let Chad or Mark build you a gun to their specs since they know how, and wont be wondering about recoil lugs and whether or not you need a barrel nut. Both of which as well as most of your other questions are simply a personal choice and up to you. As others have already told you, the benefit of the Savage is the ability to barrel it yourself, and save the money of smithing. But if you want the best from someone like SAC, then start with something like a Defiance or Surgeon. And as you talk over the build with whomever builds it , they can fill in the blanks, be it bottom metal or barrel twist.

Holy crap dude. I just want to acquire the parts for the build. PTG makes 2 mag heads, I just wanted to verify the correct part, I figured it was a standard but it never hurts to ask. It's not that I could not assemble the gun. Easy enough to do if was a prethreaded barrel. What I can't do is the suppressor and paint, so I might as well send it for final fit and finish too. Besides, I can't bring myself to paint a $1800 IOR so I have to have a pro do it.

Just out of curiosity, why in the hell would I do a way with the barrel nut, that's what keeps these things shooting straight. I already be in contact with Kevin Rayhill, supposed to be the go to Savage guy, he said that removing to barrel nut is the fastest way to loose accuracy. Thanks for your help.

Yes, Thank you Boiler, very much appreciated. Going to start ordering parts up now.

195gr! Damn that's big for a 7mm. I can't find any info on them other then they are supposed to be bergers. Nothing on their site about them