• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Me Buy or Build a .260 for PRS (My First Bolt Action)

PRS and my 6.5PRC RPR are new to me, but I fire my Barrett M82A1 .50 BMG regularly, so I don't think recoil is going to be an issue (if that's what you mean.)
I am most certainly in the camp that you should shoot what you like and are comfortable with. Heck, we have local down here that occasionally shows up and shoots matches with his 300WM. And yes, it does take a toll on the steel at the shorter distances And no, he’s not competing at the top level even though he is a good shot.

The thing is, there are too many stages that require 10 shots or more in 90 seconds on close in steel or varying ranges. No matter how well you handle recoil nor how good your fundamentals are, you will be challenged to keep up with those shooting 6mm rounds over 30-35 grains of powder.

Just sayin’...😉

Reactions: Combat photog
I am most certainly in the camp that you should shoot what you like and are comfortable with. Heck, we have local down here that occasionally shows up and shoots matches with his 300WM. And yes, it does take a toll on the steel at the shorter distances And no, he’s not competing at the top level even though he is a good shot.

The thing is, there are too many stages that require 10 shots or more in 90 seconds on close in steel or varying ranges. No matter how well you handle recoil nor how good your fundamentals are, you will be challenged to keep up with those shooting 6mm rounds over 30-35 grains of powder.

Just sayin’...😉
You and sleeplz make a good point. Supply of factory rifles here in N Ga is drying up fast, so when I decided to get into PRS after planning to attend a ghostringtactical.com class next Spring, I found a great deal on a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 PRC. Would I have preferred 6.5 CM? Probably, but no one had that caliber locally in anything other than Bergara or Weatherby hunting rifles. 6.5 CM ammo is still readily available at certain stores, and I found a 800 rd stash of 6.5 PRC ammo to get me shooting and provide brass to reload. Hoping to use this rifle for PRS and ELR after I get some rounds downrange.

I just appreciate all the wisdom here and the chance to air my opinions, as unlearned as they may be.

You and sleeplz make a good point. Supply of factory rifles here in N Ga is drying up fast, so when I decided to get into PRS after planning to attend a ghostringtactical.com class next Spring, I found a great deal on a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 PRC. Would I have preferred 6.5 CM? Probably, but no one had that caliber locally in anything other than Bergara or Weatherby hunting rifles. 6.5 CM ammo is still readily available at certain stores, and I found a 800 rd stash of 6.5 PRC ammo to get me shooting and provide brass to reload. Hoping to use this rifle for PRS and ELR after I get some rounds downrange.

I just appreciate all the wisdom here and the chance to air my opinions, as unlearned as they may be.
I am sure that you will enjoy it for ELR. It will reach out for a fer piece with the right bullet.

It’s doable for PRS, just not optimal.

It's a 6.5 CM with "Magnum" performance. What's not to like about 6.5 PRC in a factory 6.5 caliber?
Thats exactly what’s not to like about it.

It’s not about every shot beating you up, it’s about the 2 or 3 per match that you can’t spot to correct on and you then drop subsequent points making you non competitive. I have a tough enough time spotting my 6 dasher sometimes, a big gun that recoils even more and causes me to loose sight picture even further is the opposite way I would go.

Reactions: lash
^ exactly!

Having a high BC cartridge pushed fast isn’t always the name of the game, and certainly not for most PRS matches. The 6creed can get you several hundred fps more velocity than a 6br/dasher, but ppl are happy with the low recoil and easy loading of the smaller cases.

I’d only use a magnum for ELR prone matches.

Cost no option-

Impact Precision action
Stuteville Barrel in the chambering of your choice
Triggertech Diamond
Foundation Centurion stock with Hawkins DBM
ZCO 5-27 MPCT2 or 3

Reactions: Sheldon N
Tremendous amount of data regarding what type equipment the top PRS shooters run on precisionrifleblog.com. If you go back into the archives far enough you will see that the 260 was the favorite chambering very early in the PRS. Several others have come along that are now favored such that very few if any of the top shooters are still shooting 260. You will also find tons of info about stock/chassis, bullets, powders, scopes, muzzle devices, shooting bags, tripods, etc. Pretty much everything you will want to know regarding equipment. There are also a lot of tests to help show what works the best. Good luck.

Haven’t shot a comp since 2010 but but have been shooting .260 since well before. That said, you can have my .260 when you pry it from my cold dead hands!!! .260 mafia!!!!! For life!!!

6 GT, on a Defiance Tenacity action. Run AI mags, What ever stock/chassis suits your fancy! 1-7.5 Barrel of your choice shoot. 103-110 bullets

I’m getting ready to start barrel number for for my .260. It’s been a favorite and standby for a number of years now. I don’t think that I’ll ever not have one.

Mine is and has been a 26” barrel in M24/MTU/Heavy Varmint, so far either Bartlein or Rock Creek, 8 twist.For PRS and other field rifle or precision rifle matches, I do not prefer a tight match chamber and had one opened up to right about SAAMI spec. I found the match chamber to be too tight and finicky for reliable and consistent feeding. I still have no problem getting single digit SDs by using very consistent loading practices and neck tension.

I still am using the original Stiller TAC30AW action and AW mags tens of thousands of rounds later and see no reason to change. It sets in an early Manners T4A stock with mini chassis and the forearm is most often supported by my standby Harris bipod, just because it all works. That said, I will likely get another more modern and more expensive bipod someday for this rifle. I already have an LRA for my ELR rifle and an Atlas CAL. I just haven’t gotten used to anything that works right yet.

Mine is currently topped with a Steiner T5Xi 5-25 which works quite well. Had I the extra cabbage, I get one each of ZCO, Nightforce 7-35 ATACR and maybe a Minox to check out and likely use one of them.

All that having been said, I am on the down slide in competition involvement currently and haven’t had either the time nor funds recently to try and stay competitive. So I mostly attend matches just to compete with myself and enjoy the camaraderie.

Oh and also, I recently completed a similarish build in 6 BR, using a 27” M24 7.5 twist barrel. Not great timing considering the current ammo and components situation.
@lash

I'm going to necro this thread. I shoot the master race across several platforms, and had a 260 barrel spun up for my AXMC so I could shoot PRS. Yes, I know, but I'll never be at the top so it will work for me. Did you drop the charge in your PRS rig to reduce recoil or just run what you knew worked? TIA.

@lash

I'm going to necro this thread. I shoot the master race across several platforms, and had a 260 barrel spun up for my AXMC so I could shoot PRS. Yes, I know, but I'll never be at the top so it will work for me. Did you drop the charge in your PRS rig to reduce recoil or just run what you knew worked? TIA.
I already shoot a mid-speed charge and have been shooting 136 Scenar Ls at 2750-2800 FPS for a long time. It’s not a hot charge, but also not a true reduced charge. It just works day after day, very consistently.

If I ever decide that I really want reduced recoil, I’ll start using my mouse fart 6 BR. 😎

Reactions: Steel head
Don't discount the 123 scenar either. Good speed, low recoil, and similar BC to the 107 SMK IN 6MM. Can't compete with some of the ridiculously high BC 6mms, but it's worked pretty well for me

Last edited:
Reactions: Defender3 and lash
I already shoot a mid-speed charge and have been shooting 136 Scenar Ls at 2750-2800 FPS for a long time. It’s not a hot charge, but also not a true reduced charge. It just works day after day, very consistently.

If I ever decide that I really want reduced recoil, I’ll start using my mouse fart 6 BR. 😎
Interesting. I load the 136 over 41.5grs of H4350 and get 2850fps. I've not tested it for a lower node but would suspect one around a grain lower.

@lash

130’s at 2850-2900 are super nice to shoot and problem free with excellent brass and barrel life.

130’s at 2770ish is really pleasant to shoot.

Just go pick up an RPR or one of the Savage or Howa or Tikka chassis rifles and get to shooting. Tomorrow, when it seems to be the thing for you, then get a custom. These factory rifles are not terribly expensive and I know they are sitting on dealers shelves waiting to be purchased right now, today. (I know of two RPR’s a Savage and a TC LRR within 20 miles of where I am sitting right now, so I know they are available.).

Nothing wrong with a 260 class cartridge. I shoot 6.5 in local level prs matches, and also use the same rig for killing deer and wild hogs. If i suck in a match, its not because of the cartridge. 130s going at a moderate velocity are very capable all around performers. I refuse to switch to the gamer rounds for the purpose of scratching paint. But, im not concerned with being at the top of the game either...

Last edited: