• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me choose a .308 AR/Anything new out there?

IslandTime

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
The Island
So now it's time to go buy a 308 AR. There are a number of great choices. I'm leaning towards a P308 but I also like the DPMS Recon for its price vs performance. I've also always liked the LaRue, but favor the P308. I'm looking for a 16 inch barrel and ambi controls would be a plus, but of course, these can always be added. A stainless, or extremely durable coating on the barrel is a plus. A reputable manufacturer will obviously be key in the final decision.

Is there anything new over the last two months that is out there you think I should take a look at before "pulling the trigger?"

Thanks in advance.

There is this company down in TX/OK somewhere...D&F...F&G...DF...something like that anyway. You might check them out!! ;) (Sorry...couldn't resist...too soon??!!). ;)

I have been a big proponent of the POF P-308 platform for many years now having put more than a couple of them through their paces (and still use my 20" P-308 as my primary "go-to" rifle for a .308 semi-auto). It has never let me down and is sub-MOA capable all day in the right hands with the proper ammo. Mine consistently hovers around 3/4MOA with FGMM and my reloads.

For another excellent rifle, anything from JP will be utterly reliable and accurate as hell (but you may have to wait a while as they are pretty swamped and still recovering from the panic nonsense).

If you don't mind the wait and want a true custom gasser setup the way you want it right out of the gate, I'd get in line with GAP for a GAP-10 and think twice!

Last edited:
I have a REPR and 2 LMT 308's now with a GAP10 on order. I used to have a POF during their "um, not so good" days and sold it discount.. I also have a Legion LF10 on order and they are excellent quality.

Personally; I wouldn't hesitate on the GAP10 due to great product and service from Gap but I have YET to get my hands on one of those JP's. They look awesome though. So many choices/projects, only so many funds...

I went with the LMT, but if I didn't already have a POF P415, I would've really considered a P308.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Seems like the P308 still is a strong contender. I've not looked Into JP, but will have to before the final decision. Certainly based on all the history POF, JP or GAP would all be solid manufacturers. As Shooter stated so many choices, so limited funds, and also time.

Talked with Ben at JP last week he said they are 12-14 weeks out. But they did have a few 308's done and for sale on there site.

DPMS is always a great buy for the money. If you plan on shooting it in the field, instead of keeping a pretty safe queen, I would always buy a DPMS. My brother has a JP, looks awesome, feels awesome- I'd hate to scratch it... fire control group broke after about 20 shots and it's stuck on safe.

DPMS is always a great buy for the money. If you plan on shooting it in the field, instead of keeping a pretty safe queen, I would always buy a DPMS. My brother has a JP, looks awesome, feels awesome- I'd hate to scratch it... fire control group broke after about 20 shots and it's stuck on safe.

What Broke in the FCG???? I would believe a blown primer, or foriegn object plugging up a FCG, but breaking is something new.

We're still trying to figure it out. Basically bought it, took it outside the first time, pulled the trigger and the trigger stopped resetting. Opened it up and found the safety wasn't disengaging when the selector was put on fire. You can stick your finger in there and move it- then after you fire one shot, the safety is stuck on again, even though it's set to fire.

What Broke in the FCG???? I would believe a blown primer, or foriegn object plugging up a FCG, but breaking is something new.

Check out PWS, Primary Weapons Systems. Their MK216 has adjustable gas, a stainless treated barrel (cpq isonite, melonite, salt bath nitriding etc.) Magpul furniture, and FSC compensator. I've got their 1st gen 308 and their latest model 5.56. Both are light, accurate and reliable. Very good stuff. I think they're in stock with a lot of dealers at the moment.

We're still trying to figure it out. Basically bought it, took it outside the first time, pulled the trigger and the trigger stopped resetting. Opened it up and found the safety wasn't disengaging when the selector was put on fire. You can stick your finger in there and move it- then after you fire one shot, the safety is stuck on again, even though it's set to fire.
I've seen something similar happen.

A friend's JP trigger, factory installed in a DPMS SASS broke in half in less than 100 rds. I believe the break was near the disconnector spring area of the trigger.

Im very impressed with my rhino arms 308. They make every thing in house even the barrels.

I have had a dpms sass and it shot under .5 all day but had a serious functioning issue and had to be sent back to dpms and never was the same after that and traded it off towards a LWRC REPR 20 inch and it shoots around .75 moa. I have a larue obr 18 inch and it is my favorite. Just picked up a lmt mws slick receiver 16 inch and it is around 1 inch. I would order a larue 16 and be done but I would stay away from the dpms because I think quality control has suffered.