• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me choose a 6.5 CM reamer

FNG1001

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2022
USA
Hi guys. I've gone too long without getting my own reamer that I can provide to my gunsmith whenever I need a new barrel. With that, I'm in the market to buy a 6.5 CM reamer that I can call mine.

I mostly shoot Peterson 6.5 CM SRP brass, with the occasional Lapua 6.5 CM SRP. If i could find Alpha brass, i would get those, but here we are.

Which reamer maker is a gun one to start digging into and buy? I've seen Alpha has one, with high regards, but their brass is very hard to find.

Also, my main mags (Magpul) have a max length of 2.86. I've seen others with a longer OAL. So these measurements might influence what I can get.

Buy a SAAMI spec. reamer. My reasoning and what I tell our customers is unless you’re doing a wildcat cartridge, buy a SAAMI spec reamer because if something happens and you forget your loads or don’t have time to load you can shoot factory ammo. You can still tailor your loads to the chamber but you’ll also still get good performance out of factory ammo.

Edit. We use reamers from PTG, Manson, and JGS they all work well.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
I like JGS, Manson, and PTG in that order. I pretty much avoid PTG at all costs. The Alpha legacy reamer probably isnt necessary, and its expensive. Other than the freebore length dimension, I cant find a print for one to see how they're dimensioned anywhere else. You could just about have a JGS(most expensive of the big three) reamer in steel, w/pilot, both gauges, and a throating reamer for the cost of the Alpha. Easy choice for me. The creedmoor saami dimensions are good, you just need to determine if you have any special bullet requirements, and select freebore length as necessary. Or you could select a short freebore and buy a throat reamer to match, then tell the gunsmith how much freebore you’d like on each job.

Reactions: Tperry
Jgs minimum saami spec, 265 freebore diameter, 1.5° leade. I'd go saami freebore length as it's long enough to keep majority of bullets above neck shoulder junction, and give you room to jump most them with some flexibility. This chamber spec has worked well for me with lapua and alpha ocd brass with 130/144gr bullets.

Reactions: ma smith
thank you all! i'll be doing some research into these companies and their offerings.

Whatever you do, stay away from PTG.

You'll just end up being another dissatisfied customer, whining on the "Trash PTG" thread.

My suggestion would be Manson. He's honest and won't bullshit you. Clymer and JGS are probably in the same league.