• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help me choose a Brass trimmer

DenverDave

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
I have been putting off buying one of these but and getting to the 3x and 3x reloads on my brass and think it might be time to bit the bullet. I load pretty much exclusively for 6.5 creed, so I do t need a kit that works with 101 different calibers.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good quality trimmer that won't break the bank?

I'll second the little crow trimmer "WFT". I started accumulating them before they introduced the switchable chamber model so I have ( 308, 223,300BO, 6.5 Creedmoor). I had a bench top drill press that I use the trimmers in.there are several good videos on YouTube.

I just purchased the Giruard Tri-Way in 223 and 308. Works awesome. Accurately and quickly trims, chamfers and deburrs at the same time. I highly recommend them. I don't believe they have 6.5 Creedmoor though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I certainly like the idea of chamfer and debur while trimming. And the little crow also looks like a solid piece of kit. Stupid question but if using a hand drill, would I hold the brass in the other hand?

Thanks for the suggestions. I certainly like the idea of chamfer and debur while trimming. And the little crow also looks like a solid piece of kit. Stupid question but if using a hand drill, would I hold the brass in the other hand?

Yes. Brass in one hand, drill in the other. You'll feel the bit inside the WFT engage with the mouth of the brass, some small brass shaving will be ejected from the ports on the side of the trimmer. When the shoulder of the casing bottoms out with the corresponding "chamber" (this is why each WFT is cartridge specific) of the WFT, the bit no longer cuts the mouth of the brass. The "chamber" is mounted in a sealed bearing so once the cutting is complete, the WFT spins independent of the "chamber" so the casing does not get galled by the spinning body of the trimmer.

Probably difficult to picture from my description, it'll make sense the moment you have the WFT in your hand. You will need a properly sized piece of brass to initially set the WFT to cutting depth, but there are some easy tricks to make adjustments down to .001" repeatably using feeler gauges.

I put my drill upright in the vice. I have a plastic '"prince albert" tobacco can. I cut the bottom out, and cut a hole in the lid big enough to set it over the WFT and drill. It rests on the housing of the drill, and catches the brass shavings the trimmer throws everywhere. Or doesn't throw everywhere in my case.

Last edited:
Is the Little Crow practical with a hand drill? Or is a drill press almost required? Consider that I process brass in large batches for the most part.

If I'm loading for precision rifle, I love my LE Wilson trimmer. Not as quick as the others mentioned here but it works great. I have a little crow and a Trim-It that don't get pulled out half as much as my LE Wilson.

Issue with the Giraud Tri-Way is Dave doesn't make one for 6.5 Creedmoor. There was someone on the Scout site that was reaming out a 223 into 6.5., but I'm not sure if they made the transition over.

Look for the World's Cheapest Trimmer. $20 or so for a really decent drill-powered trimmer

For volume I use a Giraud bench model. Expensive yes, but fast and accurate. For less volume I use a Wilson with most of the tricks that Sinclair offers. If the budget is really tight the Lee case gauge and the shell holder and lock stud do an ok job for about $12-$14.

If you are going to go with a drill mounted trimmer, get a right angle varible speed drill and mount it with the back of the drill to your bench, (U-clamps work quite well), FAR SUPERIOR to hand holding a drill while trying to trim. That way you are trimming with the case mouth pointed down and case trimmings fall down AWAY from the case mouth and out of the trimmer via the provided exit holes in the body of the trimmer rather than getting inside the cartridge case. This way is also less fatiguing as well as giving you and extra free hand as well as more leverage. The TRI- WAY (GIRUARD) is superior to the WFT as it trims, deburs & chamfers as well if they make one for a 6.5. I use one on my 260 and it does a fine job. The TRIM-IT would be my second choice as it does everything in one step as well, just a little harder to get adjusted than the Giruard. 'Course you could always go with the bench mounted Giruard if you don't mind the price, it's the crem-de-la-crem of case trimmers, especially if you're trimming for several calibers. It's definately a buy once cry once deal!

I guess I'm the odd man out. I use a Lyman Universal trimmer powered by hand. I guess if you only shoot 1-2 cartridges these cartridge-specific trimmers work, but shooting 20 Practical, 223, 243, 243AI, 284, 30-06, 300WM, 338 Edge, 358 WSM wildcat...would get expensive.

Last edited:
If I am going to go with an electronic powered unit I think I am better off buying a dedicated "trim station" type unit. With one of these units for the best results I would want to buy a caliber specific cutter as well?

How are these:
Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS7JEB4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_zUNizbF72EVVA

Would a unit like these (below) work with a cutter attached or do they not generate sufficient torque and are best only used for case prep, not trim?

Lyman Case Prep Xpress (115-Volt) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TABTWU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-YNizbKRA990G

RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU6WN8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_m0Nizb4HN2QJ2

Hornady Lock N Load Case Prep Trio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TNXAGM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_j1NizbFXSR6SB

If I am going to go with an electronic powered unit I think I am better off buying a dedicated "trim station" type unit. With one of these units for the best results I would want to buy a caliber specific cutter as well?

How are these:
Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS7JEB4..._zUNizbF72EVVA

Would a unit like these (below) work with a cutter attached or do they not generate sufficient torque and are best only used for case prep, not trim?

Lyman Case Prep Xpress (115-Volt) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TABTWU..._-YNizbKRA990G

RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU6WN8..._m0Nizb4HN2QJ2

Hornady Lock N Load Case Prep Trio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TNXAGM..._j1NizbFXSR6SB

I would suggest you get one of those if you get the WFT, but they only do case prep. You will have to trim separately, but the case prep station really speeds up the chamfer and debur process. It cleans primer pockets too, if your into that. Some of the trim tools prep the mouth when you trim. Like the Giruad or the Trim it II.

I picked up a used frankford arsenal prep center to help with chamfering etc. It works really good for that because it's heavy and you can just run the cases through without having to hold the thing down with your other hand. It comes with a trimming device too that works ok. It indexes off the shoulder, which I like, but it doesn't debur and chamfer at the same time. So you have to run each piece of brass through sizing, inside chamfer, then outside chamfer, in three steps. That's all available on the machine but there are three separate spinning tools to do it.

Any of you guys ever tried runnng a WFT or tri-way on the Frankford Arsenal machine? I wonder if it would be more running off a drill.

I have the Trim It II and it does all three steps together. Setup was a little tedious but it's worked flawlessly since then.

Lee Universal case trimmer and a cordless electric screwdriver or drill. The Lee tool is pretty cheap but all your brass will be trimmed perfectly. Ive been using them for years!

Is the Little Crow practical with a hand drill? Or is a drill press almost required? Consider that I process brass in large batches for the most part.

Hand drill. I tried it on my drill press and it was a bit awkward. Stand over a trash can to dump brass trimmings. I wear a rubber coated glove to assist gripping small .223 casings. Fast and easy. In the first 5 casings you'll get a feel for how much pressure to use. I can do 100 casings without any fatigue. Wear eye protection though - it will throw off brass trimmings.

Can anybody tell me more about the Trim It 2? I like the idea of it trimming and chamfering at the same time, but curious if it is actually any better/faster than the WFT.

I don't have the WFT but I have the trim it 2. I really am a fan of the trim it 2. Once it's dialed in you can really trim some brass with it. The ones I measured were all where I wanted them. I have it chucked in a cordless drill and it works fine.

I'll have to again recommend the Giraud bench model. I've had pretty much everything in here mentioned at one time or another and for me the Giraud was worth every penny.

Suck it up and buy a full blown Giraud. Buy once, cry once and you'll never look back and wonder.